The Great American Gun Fetish

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bride-apos-pulls-gun-wedding-103317287.html

This couple’s honeymoon period is definitely over.

Weddings are meant to be a time for love and celebration, but a bride’s big day was ruined when she was arrested on assault charges over an alleged gun incident.

Tennessee bride Kate Prichard allegedly pulled a gun out of her wedding dress and put it to her groom’s head during a drunken motel argument, just hours after the wedding.

The 25-year-old pointed the 9mm handgun at her new husband James Burton’s head and pulled the trigger, however it was not loaded, police say.

44ea9f7b5bb973d345465c8b6571814e

The bride (not pictured) was arrested on her wedding day Credit: Reuters
Police were called to the scene after the new bride then loaded the gun and fired it in the air, it is alleged.

told NewsChannel 5." data-reactid="25">“She pulled out of her wedding dress, a 9mm pistol. Pointed it at her husband’s head and pulled the trigger,” Sgt. Kyle Evans from the Murfreesboro Police Department told NewsChannel 5.

“[The] responding officer let the husband know the honeymoon was over and his new wife was going to jail.

“Both were very uncooperative with authorities. It was actually a witness who pointed us in the right direction,” he added.

Prichard has been charged with aggravated domestic assault.

db890ccdc16c8d50ceab4bdc09066bc0

I lean Democrat, so I'd normally be in favor of gun control, but I'm also an elitist imperialist, so I have to acknowledge that (1) the U.S. has a damn fine military, (2) military officers tend to favor the more pro-gun political party, and (3) a culture as adversarial and gun-tolerant as American culture probably makes for better military recruiting.

Last edited:
Czechs probably have a superior gun culture.

Could be because unlike America, the nation is probably less split down the middle on guns themselves, so therefore the average person's relationship to guns is educational and practical whereas gun culture in America seems to have devolved into simply a form of opposition to Democrats.

Nah, it's just that Czechs are chill in general and don't have a gang culture or war on drugs. You don't need an education to know that murder is bad. It helps with accidental gun deaths, but those make up about 1% of all gun deaths (at least in the USA).

Nah, it's just that Czechs are chill in general and don't have a gang culture or war on drugs. You don't need an education to know that murder is bad. It helps with accidental gun deaths, but those make up about 1% of all gun deaths (at least in the USA).

Chill in general? The fuck does that even mean.

That makes no sense to me.

I'm liberal, so normally I'd be in favour of something illiberal.
I think you knew perfectly well what I meant, but just to head off your semantics game, I changed the wording.

Last edited:
That's not semantics, liberal and Democrat are not fucking synonymous you tit-head.
Yes, you're correct. Excuse me for being an American who uses the word "liberal" with the typical connotation it has in America. You can quit overreacting now.

Yes, you're correct. Excuse me for being an American who uses the word "liberal" with the typical connotation it has in America. You can quit overreacting now.

Liberalism in America mostly refers to social liberalism, I don't see how restricting essential liberties granted by the constitution should be conflated with liberalism, at all, in any context. Especially when you imply that you want them to be further restricted from a point of already being pretty well restricted.

I'm not overreacting, I'm merely pointing out some bullshit.

do the police not carry guns in those countries? Are you saying it's impossible for people to illegally obtain guns over there? :lol: "gun-free utopia" my ass.

It is illegal to own a gun in Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea - I thought I already made this clear, son. Police do have guns in these countries, but police brutality is almost unheard of because - unlike in the U.S. - the cops don't live in terror of any random person they stop or talk to randomly pulling out a gun and shooting them.

l liberties granted by the constitution .

Which were included in the constitution out of fear of the British returning for payback after they lost to the U.S. in the war, and of course are still very relevant today. Also, laws are laws, and they can NEVER be changed regardless of how the world itself changes, AMIRITE???? Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch some Christians get thrown to the lions in the Colosseum, because that's a law that's never been changed either.... LOL

The great American go fucking kill yourself

How appropriate that you would mention this, considering that numerous studies have shown that increased gun ownership also results in increased suicide risk:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/01/111286/access-guns-increases-risk-suicide-homicide

Someone with access to firearms is three times more likely to commit suicide and nearly twice as likely to be the victim of a homicide as someone who does not have access, according to a comprehensive review of the scientific literature conducted by researchers at UC San Francisco.

The meta-analysis, published online Jan. 20 inAnnals of Internal Medicine, pools results from 15 investigations, slightly more than half of which were done after a 1996 federal law prohibited the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services from funding research that could be seen as promoting gun control. The review excluded studies that relied on survey data to estimate gun ownership and focused instead on studies that included more specific information about whether victims had access to guns.

All but two of the studies were done in the United States, where gun ownership is higher than anywhere else in the world and firearms cause an estimated 31,000 deaths each year. The review included studies about deaths by suicide and homicide but not accidental deaths.

Researchers found striking gender differences in the data. When firearms were accessible, men were nearly four times more likely to commit suicide than when firearms were not accessible, while women were almost three times more likely to be victims of homicide.

anglemyer.jpg

Andrew Anglemyer, PhD, MPH

“Our analysis shows that having access to firearms is a significant risk factor for men committing suicide and for women being victims of homicide,” saidAndrew Anglemyer, PhD, MPH, an expert in study design and data analytics in Clinical Pharmacy and Global Health Sciences at UCSF, who is also a U.S. Army veteran. “Since empirical data suggest that most victims of homicide know their assailants, the higher risk for women strongly indicates domestic violence.”

Firearms play a significant role in both suicide and homicide, accounting for slightly more than half of all suicide deaths and two-thirds of homicide deaths, according to 2009 data from the 16-state National Violent Death Reporting System, which is run by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

About 75 percent of suicides occur in the victims’ homes, and a similar percentage of female homicide victims die in their homes. The figure is about 45 percent for men.

Since not all of the studies assessed whether victims had firearms in their homes, the meta-analysis does not draw conclusions about the associations between suicide or homicide and the location of the firearms, but merely whether victims had access to them.

Researchers adjusted for biases they detected in the original studies, such as failing to account for mental illness, domestic violence or arrest history or inadvertently influencing the reports of victims’ friends and relatives about whether they had access to firearms. But the overall results did not change significantly.

In some cases, such as in the selection of participants for studies on suicide, the bias in the original studies may have underestimated the association between access to firearms and suicide, because both study and comparison groups were recruited from health care settings where they may have been seeking treatment for suicidal planning.

Of the 15 studies included in the meta-analysis, the only one that did not find a statistically meaningful increase in the odds of death associated with access to firearms was from New Zealand, where guns are much less available than they are in the United States. And even that study did find an increase, although not a statistically significant one.

Other authors on the paper include UCSF epidemiology researcher Tara Horvath, MA, andGeorge Rutherford, MD, professor of epidemiology at UCSF. All authors are associated with the Cochrane Collaboration, an international network of independent researchers who evaluate data for the benefit of health care practitioners, policy makers, patients and consumer advocates.

The authors reported no conflicts of interest and did not receive any grant support for their research.

UCSF is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It includes top-ranked graduate schools of dentistry, medicine, nursing and pharmacy, a graduate division with nationally renowned programs in basic biomedical, translational and population sciences, as well as a preeminent biomedical research enterprise and two top-ranked hospitals, UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital.