The Great American Gun Fetish

The militia argument was settled by the courts; kind of a nonstarter.

It was settled legally, but it was hardly settled definitionally or interpretively. The court decision was split 5-4.

iu

:rolleyes: I wasn't mad; I was just on a weekend getaway with the wife and friends, and didn't want to spend it talking to you.

Riddle me this, Ein: Why would an amendment have the following in the same sentence:

1) Regulation of the right to bear arms (via a National Guard which didn't exist at the time)
2) The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Surely the word 'people' extends beyond just the National Guard that didn't exist at the time of the Constitution or does that particular definition stay the same solely to fit your narrative?

But in what sense does it extend to the people? Militias are comprised of individuals; so in that sense, it must extend beyond the abstract notion of a militia and to concrete persons. This doesn't necessarily translate, however, into individual rights often associated with gun ownership and distilled from the language of the second amendment.

You might look at Saul Cornell's book A Well-Regulated Militia: The Founding Fathers and the Origins of Gun Control in America, published by Oxford UP. Cornell argues that gun ownership is neither a collective right (i.e. of states to maintain armed militias) nor an individual one (i.e. of individual citizens to own guns for any reason they deem appropriate), but a civic right--an obligation citizens owed to the state to arm themselves in order to participate in a militia. The second amendment contains no provision of ownership for personal reasons.

I'd also point to this paragraph from the blog for UIllinois, which discusses the weird grammar of the second amendment (a major source of uncertainty when diagnosing its meaning, much less what the authors intended):

https://blogs.illinois.edu/view/25/3721

In the case of the Second Amendment, the absolute also shows a clear cause-and-effect relationship: because a well-regulated militia is necessary, the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. Add to this the fact that the expression “to bear arms” overwhelmingly occurs in military contexts, not civilian ones, both in the 18th century and today: as the historian Garry Wills (1995) has put it, one does not bear arms against a rabbit. It would thus be hard to discount the militia when interpreting the Second Amendment.

The comment about the phrase "bear arms" refers to how this terminology was commonly used in the eighteenth century. The problem with simply looking up words in dictionaries is that while that might tell you what "bear" and "arms" could mean, it won't tell you what they mean when combined. See here:

https://blog.harvardlawreview.org/corpus-linguistics-and-the-second-amendment/

In Heller, three Linguistics Professors submitted an amicus brief, which attempted to answer this charge. They surveyed “115 texts,” including “books, pamphlets, broadsides and newspapers from the period between” 1776 and 1791 that used the phrase “bear arms.” Of those sources, 110 usages were “in clearly military context.” Of the five sources they located that used the phrase “bear arms” in a non-military context, only one was not “qualified by further language indicating a different meaning.” However, the Professors recognized the limits of their own research: “We otherwise have been unable to find” any usages of “bear arms” that did not have a military-related meaning. In response to this evidence, Justice Scalia wrote “the fact that the phrase was commonly used in a particular context does not show that it is limited to that context, and, in any event, we have given many sources where the phrase was used in nonmilitary contexts.”

also:

This sort of research may have been the state of the art in 2008. However, modern technology allows us to dive deeper. Professor Dennis Baron, who joined the Linguistics brief in Heller a decade ago, searched the COFEA for the term “bear arms.” He also performed the same search on the Corpus of Early Modern English, which includes nearly 1.3 billion words from over 40,000 texts from 1475-1800. He found “about 1,500 separate occurrences of ‘bear arms’ in the 17th and 18th centuries, and only a handful don’t refer to war, soldiering or organized, armed action.” From this evidence, Professor Baron concluded that the “[t]hese databases confirm that the natural meaning of ‘bear arms’ in the framers’ day was military.” Likewise, Professors Alison LaCroix and Jason Merchant used Google Books to search for the phase “bear arms” in sources published between 1760-1795. They found that in 67.4% of the sample size, “bear arms” was used in its collective sense, whereas in 18.2% of the sample, the phase was used in an individual sense.

These arguments/essays are much longer and contain more interesting nuances than these excerpts reflect, but that's why I linked them.

tl;dr, most interpretations acknowledge the right of individuals to own firearms, but they state that ownership cannot be extricated from military duties. There's nothing in the second amendment that legalizes or even permits the use of firearms for unspecified individual purposes.

For what it's worth, I'm not a constitutionalist, and I think individuals should be able to use guns for personal reasons (i.e. hunting, target shooting, home protection, etc.). My concerns with gun control are with what kind of firearms people are allowed to "keep," and I currently believe that many semi-automatic weapons with high-round capacities are unnecessary for personal use.

Libs are just fascists who don't know it yet. They'd be happy with a military coup if the military wasn't full of people who like guns.

How was what I said fascist in any way?

Last edited:
I currently believe that many semi-automatic weapons with high-round capacities are unnecessary for personal use.

What makes them 'unnecessary'? What arbitrarily defines 'high round capacity'?

I'm going to assume you're speaking from merely an emotional viewpoint and not because you actually understand firearms. "I went hunting once. My opinion matters." is not valid here.

"No one needs 30 round magazines for home defense"

Exhibit A for why that's a dumbass argument:

https://fox61.com/2019/08/25/10-arr...mily-tied-up-beaten-in-home-invasion-robbery/

Pretty sure he was referencing your retort about tearing up the Constitution and starting over

What makes them 'unnecessary'? What arbitrarily defines 'high round capacity'?

"No one needs 30 round magazines for home defense"

Exhibit A for why that's a dumbass argument:

https://fox61.com/2019/08/25/10-arr...mily-tied-up-beaten-in-home-invasion-robbery/

If you're a good shot, then you only need ten rounds. Maybe you should practice more.

And honestly, in the vast majority of cases, as soon as you grab your gun and fire one shot, intruders will turn tail and run. You're not countering my argument, you're making sensationalist claims about very rare cases.

Pretty sure he was referencing your retort about tearing up the Constitution and starting over

And how is that fascist?

The 1A was interpreted substantially as a non-individual right until the 1930s-50s as well. Almost as if precedent set by the court case that effectively killed Reconstruction isn't good precedent to use anymore.

If you're a good shot, then you only need ten rounds. Maybe you should practice more.

lmao okay. I have no idea if you're trolling here but obviously you're not factoring in stress or anxiety levels when you encounter a force on force situation. Even LEOs only have a 20% hit ratio in force on force encounters but of course your average civilian only needs 10 rounds because 'muh emotions'

And honestly, in the vast majority of cases, as soon as you grab your gun and fire one shot, intruders will turn tail and run.

Based on what empirical evidence? All you are doing is puppeting the anti-gunner side without actually knowing what the fuck you're talking about. If you talk to anyone who does any type of training, who teaches force-on-force classes, CQB expertes, etc they will all say you're wrong.

For being really educated and intelligent generally, you are truly showing how ignorant you are about firearms.

Last edited:
lmao okay. I have no idea if you're trolling here.

Based on what empirical evidence? All you are doing is puppeting the anti-gunner side without actually knowing what the fuck you're talking about. If you talk to anyone who does any type of training, who teaches force-on-force classes, CQB expertes, etc they will all say you're wrong.

For being really educated and intelligent generally, you are truly showing how ignorant you are about firearms.

Honestly, my comment about my personal opinions on guns was an attempt to extend an olive branch. I was merely trying to say that I'm not arguing for the restriction of all firearms, merely that I think there's a reasonable line to be drawn. That line shouldn't come down to my perspective on guns, but it should come down to some kind of constructive, informed, and researched discussion.

I am pretty ignorant about firearm ownership and operation, and I know very little about self-defense techniques. I would hear an argument about magazine capacities and self-defense if there's one to make, and perhaps you're right that higher capacities does make for better home protection. I don't know of any studies or investigations into how much difference a 10-round versus a 30-round magazine makes when it comes to defense within the home, but I'd be interested in seeing one.

Speaking for myself, I'm inclined to believe (purely based on intuition) that the ultimate goal of gun ownership for home protection should be to deter any violence and/or lethal gunfire from taking place. Most home invaders aren't carrying firearms with them, and will flee as soon as they see a gun or hear one warning shot. If a home invader is carrying a gun, I'm inclined to believe that it's unlikely the magazine capacity of the homeowner's weapon will make much difference purely in terms of deterrence. It's more likely that a shootout will occur, in which case yes--the higher-capacity magazine will likely inflict more damage. But again, most home invaders value their lives more than whatever they might potentially gain from staying and fighting. In many cases, your gun will do its job without you having to fire any rounds.

But again, my comment was more of an aside to my main points about constitutional law and interpretation.

EDIT: I didn't see this...

The 1A was interpreted substantially as a non-individual right until the 1930s-50s as well. Almost as if precedent set by the court case that effectively killed Reconstruction isn't good precedent to use anymore.

...but for what it's worth, I also think the notion of "free speech" has been wildly misappropriated due to the extravagancies of individualism. Uninformed pro-free speech arguments often dive head-first into opportunistic apologies for saying absolutely anything, at any time, in any place--without any ounce of consideration. I don't think that's what free speech should be. For what it's worth, I also don't think that means speech should be sanctioned and restricted by the state; but I do think it means that not all speech carries the same value and authority, and that it falls on social discourse to determine what utterances are valid for particular purposes.

Last edited:
It was settled legally, but it was hardly settled definitionally or interpretively. The court decision was split 5-4.

But in what sense does it extend to the people? Militias are comprised of individuals; so in that sense, it must extend beyond the abstract notion of a militia and to concrete persons. This doesn't necessarily translate, however, into individual rights often associated with gun ownership and distilled from the language of the second amendment.

You might look at Saul Cornell's book A Well-Regulated Militia: The Founding Fathers and the Origins of Gun Control in America, published by Oxford UP. Cornell argues that gun ownership is neither a collective right (i.e. of states to maintain armed militias) nor an individual one (i.e. of individual citizens to own guns for any reason they deem appropriate), but a civic right--an obligation citizens owed to the state to arm themselves in order to participate in a militia. The second amendment contains no provision of ownership for personal reasons.

Well I'm sympathetic to this argument. The Selective Service is a formalized system of pulling able-bodied males for military service in the event of a major war. But at a minimum, broad individual ownership of weapons provides an extra layer of national defense. See: The Taliban, etc.

For what it's worth, I'm not a constitutionalist, and I think individuals should be able to use guns for personal reasons (i.e. hunting, target shooting, home protection, etc.). My concerns with gun control are with what kind of firearms people are allowed to "keep," and I currently believe that many semi-automatic weapons with high-round capacities are unnecessary for personal use.

But if it's not for personal use then this objection falls flat; you would want everyone to own an AR. Guns are not considered a problem (by some) because of "personal use" anyway. They are considered a problem because of rare but seemingly random shootings in public spaces. Then we have a lot of middle aged white males killing themselves and a lot of young black males killing each other, but these are only used to pad stats* after a media-sensationalized shooting in a walmart (while obscuring the facts of where and who/whom the majority of the violence is).

Mort and other twitter/tumblr libs was who I had in mind; I could have been more specific.

Last edited:
But if it's not for personal use then this objection falls flat; you would want everyone to own an AR.

In what case would it not be for personal use, e.g. hunting, target shooting, or protection? Sorry, just trying to understand. Do you mean that if it’s for military use—as in when individuals would be called upon to serve in, for example, a militia—then I would want people to have an AR?

In what case would it not be for personal use, e.g. hunting, target shooting, or protection? Sorry, just trying to understand. Do you mean that if it’s for military use—as in when individuals would be called upon to serve in, for example, a militia—then I would want people to have an AR?

Yes. The right is not to be infringed because all adult males (how the authors would have considered "the people" - also excluding slaves) are standing by as an unofficial national guard member. AR carbines (or similar types of more modern semi-autos like SCARs and ACRs) do a lot better job in a variety of combat situations than many other weapon platforms. They also work well for hunting for the same reason (although there's the issue of caliber vs type of animal). Target shooting is just what you do to stay skilled.

A change I would rather see related to gun ownership if there were a change would be to require some sort of civic engagement related to ownership, which is supported at least at the county level, where you meet regularly for organized target shooting, emergency contingency plans (not for invasion necessarily, but things like natural disasters), meetings with local Sheriff and Police Depts. This would make it easier to spot troubled persons and reduce the likelihood of suicide potentially through increased camaraderie/reduced loneliness. It doesn't address gang crime of course but then most things don't.

Of course, such a proposal wouldn't even come close to getting off the ground because of individualism on both sides and irrational gun hatred on the left.

@Einherjar86

2) The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
"the people" in this instance clearly means that a random civilian has the right to use a gun to quickly solve a problem before the military/law enforcement show up

as in a mass shooting
"the people" having the "right to bear arms" means that
if someone's trying to do a mass shooting
"the people" have the right to shoot back
and resolve the problem quickly before the cops have time to show up

but
it also means things like
being robbed
a homeowner with a gun has the right to shoot a burglar trying to rob their house

or if a tiny woman is being mugged/assaulted/raped
she has the right to shoot her attacker

why the fuck is there this argument about the meaning of the 2nd amendment??
it's always been pretty clear to me

Yes. The right is not to be infringed because all adult males (how the authors would have considered "the people" - also excluding slaves) are standing by as an unofficial national guard member. AR carbines (or similar types of more modern semi-autos like SCARs and ACRs) do a lot better job in a variety of combat situations than many other weapon platforms. They also work well for hunting for the same reason (although there's the issue of caliber vs type of animal). Target shooting is just what you do to stay skilled.

Sure, there’s ambiguity of overlap. It’s like when an employer issues you a company card for business expenses—there will always be some fuzziness about certain purchases.

As for the distinction you’re pointing out, I’d say that I believe people do have a right to private (individual) ownership, which isn’t guaranteed by 2A. The constitution ties gun ownership to military duties; but if I’m not a constitutionalist, then I’d say that I don’t support the notion that all able-bodies citizens are part of the unorganized militia. If gun ownership is an individual’s right, rather than a debt owed to the state, then I would also say that participation in the militia is an individual right/choice—not a responsibility owed to the state.

A change I would rather see related to gun ownership if there were a change would be to require some sort of civic engagement related to ownership, which is supported.

This is kind of the opposite of what I just suggested, but consistent with 2A at least (performatively at least).

@Einherjar86why the fuck is there this argument about the meaning of the 2nd amendment??

That shouldn’t reassure anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dak
@Einherjar86

"the people" in this instance clearly means that a random civilian has the right to use a gun to quickly solve a problem before the military/law enforcement show up

as in a mass shooting
"the people" having the "right to bear arms" means that
if someone's trying to do a mass shooting
"the people" have the right to shoot back
and resolve the problem quickly before the cops have time to show up

but
it also means things like
being robbed
a homeowner with a gun has the right to shoot a burglar trying to rob their house

or if a tiny woman is being mugged/assaulted/raped
she has the right to shoot her attacker

why the fuck is there this argument about the meaning of the 2nd amendment??
seriously
the second amendment seems pretty fucking clear on this
"the people" have the "right to bear arms"
seems to be a just a simple direct-opposition to those specific countries where only law enforcement and military are allowed to bear arms

For some reason, when I'm logged in this thread doesn't show up on my feed. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.

The state is too big at this point for people to really connect with any responsibility to community. That's why performatively county level is more functional.

It certainly is, but that's another (very complicated) conversation...

For some reason, when I'm logged in this thread doesn't show up on my feed. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.

It certainly is, but that's another (very complicated) conversation...

Doesn't show up for me either. Probably has something to do with muting the originator.

im totally pro gun. i dont like the idea of the state having armed cops and an armed military and the people having little to nothing to protect themselves. a better way of saying it would be that i am not pro gun but anti state

most of the pro gun ppl are all conservative as fuck and we all know they're never gonna use those guns to overthrow the government. theyre too blinded by their own patriotism to think that the government could actually do anything to wrong them. theyd rather play the victim and bitch about stupid shit like milkshakes and how the liberals are supposedly taking their masculinity from them

basically the majority of pro gun ppl in the us have been convinced that america is the greatest country in the world, and the majority of people who see most of americas flaws have been convinced that guns are bad

Oh god, why did this thread get necro'd. At least it reminded me that UltimateApathy left this place - praise be to God.