The Guitar Player's Thread

Sure man, what would you want to know?

I'm just sort of at a loss as to where to start and I'm assuming (probably a mistake on my part :lol: ) that it'll just be easier to get ahold of an accoustic and start slowly from there, but beyond that I'm more or less at a loss.

I was also looking at adding a two hour per week session/class my school offers next semester and just sort of diving in and seeing how I like it.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions later on, but for now I'm just trying to figure out what the best way to start things off would be. :headbang:

why don't you try electric guitar in your class... acoustic or classical would also work but would be a bit less relevant on the surface. The basics for all three are the same though

why don't you try electric guitar in your class... acoustic or classical would also work but would be a bit less relevant on the surface. The basics for all three are the same though

Will do, it'll be early next year when the class rolls around, but I'm already looking forward to it. I haven't made the effort to pick up an instrument since grade school, so it ought to be interesting. :headbang:

Hey Manini, you should check out the Carvin guitars. They're the cheapest high-quality guitars you'll find and they have an awesome 7-string model AND they don't charge extra for building a left-handed one.

MAG.

I've had my eye on em for a while... I suppose next time I'm in San Diego, I'll stop at the Carvin Factory and see if they have any I can play.

hey guys I'm looking at writing some guitar columns, and I don't want to cover the same old things that many of the other sites out there cover... I was wondering if I could get some feedback from you what is it that you find missing on guitar sites etc. I already have some ideas and those would focus on what I find important when composing or playing, but I'm curious what questions you would ask if given a chance.
-b

I've been trying to buy a 7 stringer... but left handed seven stringers are either hard to find, or they are really expensive, or both lol...

I know this thread is kinda old but, Manini, want a nice lefty seven string?? Go to www.dotonshaft.com.

The owner (Mikey Mike) gives lefties either 15% or 25% off the right handed price because hes tired of seeing lefties pay hundreds of dollars more. I picked up a Gothos off of him(a lefty model as well), seriously an amazing guitar. All of the non-handmade guitars are made by the epiphone plant in Asia.

I am also looking for some pointers.

Basically, Ive been playing guitar for 3 years, I really stopped making progress about a year ago... Not that I havent been practicing, but Ive hit a wall. I have improved moderately from way back when, as in I can now machinegun pick like theres no tomorrow and my fretting hand is faster but I still cannot solo well. Just to give an example, I can play the lead parts to Silence Calls the Storm. I just cant seem to do alot of faster stuff though... I dont know if its because Im not inclined to play lead becuase of the other guitarist in my band but I really need some help on this.

Also, I can make up decent riffs really easily, Im very good with rhythm, but I find that I seem to follow alot of the same patterns and scales, is this normal?

I know this thread is kinda old but, Manini, want a nice lefty seven string?? Go to www.dotonshaft.com.

The owner (Mikey Mike) gives lefties either 15% or 25% off the right handed price because hes tired of seeing lefties pay hundreds of dollars more. I picked up a Gothos off of him(a lefty model as well), seriously an amazing guitar. All of the non-handmade guitars are made by the epiphone plant in Asia.

Hey great link thanks man! Sadly I've spent too much money on shit and can't afford one right now, but I'll definitely remember it for later :kickass:

Hey great link thanks man! Sadly I've spent too much money on shit and can't afford one right now, but I'll definitely remember it for later :kickass:

Yeh man they seriously are some GREAT guitars. The best way to get one is probably just to contact him through the Email on the site and ask about it. Unfortunately it can take up to 3 months before he'll get the specific model you want... But I promise it is worth it :headbang: