Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
The Hostage Heart-Where there is Despair, Hope EP
Five Point Records-FPR001-September 20, 2004
By Josh Phillips

RE_FPR001THHCover.jpg

Where there is Despair, Hope is an EP and apparently the first release by The Hostage Heart. Clocking in at just over 16 minutes of music on 6 tracks, it isn’t the longest piece, but the band surely gets its point across with an unrelenting sonic attack. This album also will seemingly serve as my introduction to metalcore, a style of music with which I am completely unfamiliar.

The EP opens with “Pressing my Lips to the Cup of Wrath and Death”, a furious assault of flailing, grinding guitars and twanging, funky bass. From the opening seconds, you can tell this album has got some groove and can not only rip your face off, but can also make you bang your head. Though unfortunately, we are also introduced to the vocals in this song, which fluctuate between a low growl and very high-pitched yell of sorts. The latter is used far more commonly, but I find that the growl fits much better with the grinding music and isn’t as all-together irritating. After this, the album scurries along at a furious pace, continuing in the vein of the opener until the fourth track, “Destroy, Rebuild, Destroy” which showcases some slightly more melodic riffs and a soaring lead placed nicely in the middle of the song. Following up is “The First Signs of Worldly Cancer” and it continues in the direction of “Destroy, Rebuild, Destroy” with catchier and more interesting riffing crunched in-between the speedier attacks this band loves. Closer, “I Liked them Better when they were Local” returns to the style of the first few songs on this EP and everything comes full circle. To note, the album has a very full production, which helps every instrument shine through and gives the record a solid sound.

Where there is Despair, Hope is really what an EP is all about. Putting together some material that represents your sound and letting it speak for you. Make it brief, powerful and leave whoever listens to it with an impression of your sound, good or bad. Leave them wanting more. It’s a furious burst of energy with both its ups and downs and the good part is, that the music is good and with a few more pace breaks or mid-paced groove sections would be excellent. The bad part is, while the growled vocals compliment the music well, they are rarely used and are instead replaced with the high pitched hardcore yells that, to me, sound out of place and detract from the music. The songs are too similar and because of it, a full-length of this material would probably be quite monotonous, but they have a decent base formula that when expanded upon, such as in “Destroy, Rebuild, Destroy”, becomes something quite good. This band has a lot of potential and could go a few ways, personally, I hope they move towards something more mid-paced, because that is when they shine, but I don’t really see that happening. Overall though, I like this band and I’ll be jamming “Destroy, Rebuild, Destroy” and “ The First Signs of Worldly Cancer” for weeks to come and I look forward to hearing a full-length and seeing where it goes.

6.5/10

Official The Hostage Heart Website
Official Five Point Records Website