The house strikes again!

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
1/2 hour before people are supposed to get here I was cleaning the bathroom and I hear to toilet making noises. I flushed it and it wasn't draining. Quick! Shut off the water before it overflows! I go in the utility room and sure enough, the sewer is backed up. We've got a 4 foot puddle of shower water on the floor. Of course, I haven't yet taken a shower, and none of our guests can use the bathroom.

Oh well.

Oh gawd! Good luck getting that fixed! I only have one TINY bathroom in my house, and if it malfunctions, I'm off to the woods with a shovel and a roll of tp.... as are my guests! :)

Mike,

I've dealt with a similar situation in my home. Home owner's insurance paid for mine.

Your house sounds cursed. You guys are welcome to stay in my guest bedroom if you'd like. :) It'd be just like 3's company.

The Michael

Ever since my dumbass 3rd floor neighbors put kitty litter in their bathtub, anytime I have to use the bathroom, I have to have the plunger handy. Even a small piece of TP will clog it up, so no matter what is done, I have to plunge away.... I am so excited to see they are being evicted and are leaving shortly!

Good luck with your issue and I hope no one has to pee!

-Metal

I saw the phrase "4 foot puddle" and almost fainted. That's a DEEP puddle. :)

One nice thing about owning a house: no annoying neighbors upstairs to cause leak problems. In our old apartment, we had leak problems no less than four times. :erk:

A few of those were upstairs-bathtub-leaks-into-my-downstairs-tub (i.e., no damage to my floor, just to the ceiling, which actually collapsed into the tub once), but one was an A/C condensation overflow backup, and THAT one killed some of my books. :yuk: That's like throwing a rock through a stained-glass window as far as I'm concerned. :(

but wait, there's MORE! This morning, when the heater started, there was a very bad smell coming out of all the vents. Like a burning smell but not just that. Yippee suspects maybe carbon monoxide or something as we both felt dizzy and yucky.

Our house is CRAZY MAN! CRAZY!

Oh, and the water seemed to be better until Yip did 2 loads of laundry yesterday. :cry:

CO2 is oderless, but if you don't have a couple already, make sure you get a couple CO2 detectors for the house. It's a silent killer, and shouldn't be ignored...(maybe something died in a vent somewhere? - One little dead mouse can make a whole lotta stink....)

When you turn on the heat for the first few times during the winter it does infact, smell terrible. Should clear itself up tho soon. Happened to us as well.

Trying to sell the condo to move into an apartment to save money (why own a condo when it's just like renting anyway) to eventually move into a house when the housing shitstorm comes to it's apex.

When you turn on the heat for the first few times during the winter it does infact, smell terrible. Should clear itself up tho soon. Happened to us as well.

Heh. We live near Chicago. Our furnace went on for the first time over a month ago. It's not that smell, it's worse. When she said something, I jumped out of bed and sprinted down to the furnace because it smelled like something was on fire. I thought the house was burning down.

I took the damn thing apart today, cleaned it out, and put it back together. I didn't see anything that might be causing the smell. I just got back from the hardware store. I got a CO2 detector and fired up the furnace again. The smell is still there, but the whole damn furnace smelled like it. I think it's just pushing the smell around the house now. We'll see. CO2 detector hasn't gone off yet.

CO2 is oderless, but if you don't have a couple already, make sure you get a couple CO2 detectors for the house. It's a silent killer, and shouldn't be ignored...(maybe something died in a vent somewhere? - One little dead mouse can make a whole lotta stink....)

You mean CO, right? Or are you making a joke regarding the beat to death global warming thread? :lol:

The Michael

Heh. We live near Chicago. Our furnace went on for the first time over a month ago. It's not that smell, it's worse. When she said something, I jumped out of bed and sprinted down to the furnace because it smelled like something was on fire. I thought the house was burning down.

I took the damn thing apart today, cleaned it out, and put it back together. I didn't see anything that might be causing the smell. I just got back from the hardware store. I got a CO2 detector and fired up the furnace again. The smell is still there, but the whole damn furnace smelled like it. I think it's just pushing the smell around the house now. We'll see. CO2 detector hasn't gone off yet.

Have you replaced the air filter recently? If one of those things gets clogged with shit, especially the hepa filters since they catch more, that can mess up your furnace too.

I know you said you cleaned it, but when was the last time you had someone come out and fully service it? I've been putting that off way too long this year. Plus, I gotta have someone come out to professionally clean my chiminee... and I'm guessing it won't be cheap.

air filter was my next suggestion too.. They should be changed every 3-6 months. You can also get air scents to put in along with them that seem to work marvelously. (did i just type that?) ... Also, a good duct cleaning may be in order.

All I have to say is that you cursed me!

For the last couple of days any time ANYONE runs water in my complex, I hear it gargling in my tub. And no matter what is in my toilet, I have to plunge it. (Even if my son just goes Number 1). I keep expecting to come home and be standing in a flood of sewage.

The drain in the neighbors yard has started spewing all kinds of nasty shit from it and it's supposed to snow this weekend.

If I don't get a call back from the landlords tomorrow, I'm going to go down there with a bag of shit in hand an ask if they would like it all over their office.

(Alright, I won't go THAT far..... yet)

-Metal

All I have to say is that you cursed me!

For the last couple of days any time ANYONE runs water in my complex, I hear it gargling in my tub. And no matter what is in my toilet, I have to plunge it. (Even if my son just goes Number 1). I keep expecting to come home and be standing in a flood of sewage.

The drain in the neighbors yard has started spewing all kinds of nasty shit from it and it's supposed to snow this weekend.

If I don't get a call back from the landlords tomorrow, I'm going to go down there with a bag of shit in hand an ask if they would like it all over their office.

(Alright, I won't go THAT far..... yet)

-Metal

There are many modern day amenities I can live without. Functioning and adequate human waste removal is NOT one of them. I'd lose my mind(and appetite) dealing with what you describe.:puke::puke::puke: