The "if Opeth's newest doesn't sound like.. then it sucks" thread

fainéant

Aug 18, 2002
www.
Orchid has my highest praise. This album is beautiful. Quite frankly, I feel that if their newest doesn't measure up to the massive gusto and creative magnitude of Orchid, Opeth is again failing to live up to the heights they established for themselves way back when.

So the claim is: Orchid is Opeth's greatest achievement.

If you agree, good.

If you disagree, give an explanation please. Unsupported assertions are for the weak.

if Opeth's newest surpasses their first, explain.

(ps, I'm bored and in a seriously psychologically unhealthy condition - as I have not heard Opeth's latest yet). :p

Finally another soul who agrees that Orchid is, without a doubt, Opeth's finest hour.

Thumbs up, duder.

For the record, i agree with faineant

morningrise is dry and straightforward. It's great but it lacks the wonder, awe and magic that Orchid has. Listen to the twin guitar harmonics on any song in Orchid as they weave and dance with each other. The riffs are alive and always symbolizing something beyond the music. And every second is replete with all kinds of interesting nuances and things. Morningrise, on the other hand, is totally "sober" and mechanical, worth loving, but not writing home about.

I'm not bashing any Opeth album. I hope that's clear. Im' just saying Orchid is Opeth's most underrated album when it's indeed their most passionate and creatively wonderful

I hope Deliverance sets a different standard. At least a different peak on a different mountain, if you know what I mean.

Still cranky,

me.

This is like trying to argue with someone that blue is a better color than red, or Heineken tastes better than Becks, or that 2 is my favorite number and if your favorite number is different you suck. It's all subjective, and each persons tastes are different.

Anyways - here's how I feel (not including Deliverence - so let's pretend I haven't heard it yet :rolleyes: ) : Blackwater Park is by far MY, and I do stress MY, favorite Opeth album. Why you ask? I don't see that much of a difference between the musical ability of each band member between their five albums. It's natural to say that as you gain more experience, you get better at something. That being said, I think Mikael's voice gets a little more refined and defined throughout the 5 albums in progression. And musically, my ears tell me that Opeth's riffs and song structure have progressed technically. But what put BWP over the top for me is the production. I happen to like well produced albums, and not that more "raw" sound. BWP to my ears is tight and clean, yet it it is still pure Opeth, and not more "commercialized" as some in the past have said.

As far as Deliverence - I can only say that the title track has surpassed The Drapery Falls as my favorite Opeth song, which makes it my favorite song period.

Morningrise is my favourite.

Orchid was really great, and I loved it from the moment I picked it up, but when I heard Morningrise it was like falling in love, and I've been in love ever since. To this day it gives me goose bumps. So orchid is an old good friend, but Morningrise is my sweetheart ;)

Originally posted by metalmancpa
This is like trying to argue with someone that blue is a better color than red, or Heineken tastes better than Becks, or that 2 is my favorite number and if your favorite number is different you suck. It's all subjective, and each persons tastes are different.

I can't disagree more. It's not true to say orchid is blue and mr is red and bw is green, and that because orchid is blue I think it's superior.

Suppose instead I said Orchid is superior because it is full of color and wondrous shapes, and mr or bwp is in monochrome full of grey and straight lines. What then? Judgements of the kind I am pretending to make I would say proceed from similar conceptual grounds. It's not so "subjective" then.

I don't see that much of a difference between the musical ability of each band member between their five albums.

Who's discussing "musical ability"? I'm talking about composition only.

And musically, my ears tell me that Opeth's riffs and song structure have progressed technically.

it's changed, it's different. this change however is I think is a change in the direction of the comfortable. Orchid's music had a massive creative and expressive complexity, a superabundant will to innovation about it that no Opeth album have matched since. I congratulate those who truly appreciate this album, as it's probably the most difficult one to "get" -- at least it had been for me.

I am not bashing you though my tone may appear that way. I'm only defending the most underrated album of all time. (so I think hehe)

As far as Deliverence - I can only say that the title track has surpassed The Drapery Falls as my favorite Opeth song, which makes it my favorite song period.

I preorderd mine today and I've downloaded mine... but I haven't listened. muahahah, me so happy.

Orchid is unpolished, immature, undeveloped, and incohesive. There's no overarching theme to carry you from the first track to the last. It's a mishmash of songs thrown together -- as to be expected from a first release. The riffs and melodies are predictable, downright fruity at times. The piano piece is poorly played and doesn't fit. OK, I think I'm done.

Orchid is polished, mature, developed, and cohesive. There's an overarching theme to carry you from the first track to the last. It's not a mishmash of songs thrown together -- as to be expected from a first release. The riffs and melodies aren't predictable, downright meaty at times. The piano piece is very well played and doesn't fit. OK, I think I'm done.

fainéant : first of all, I don't take your comments as bashing at all.

But my point with red/blue etc. is this - no one person is the consummate music critic. Music creates something different in each person who listens to it. And so do tastes in composition. It's one thing to say how much you like/dislike a band from your own perspective, whether it be based solely on their composition, or their technical abilities, etc. And BTW - you never said based on composition alone in your original post, even though you may of alluded to it.

You say Orchid is Opeth's finest achievement - well, your definition of achievement is probably different than mine. I have no idea about your music background, but I have never composed anything. I've played piano since I was 5, I play harmonica, and I am an aavid music listener. I suppose my critique of a band would be different from someone who composes music - different than someone who only listens and has never played an instrument, etc. Art, for which music is art, has never been cut and dry. Art is made from the artists heart, and the expectation from most artists (well, I think this to be true) is only that the art created will invoke some inner feeling in the person enjoying it. Art is not meant to be the same to everybody - unlike a pencil, or scissors (OK, I'm at my desk), or other things that have a specific purpose. Art's purpose is that of enjoyment - it can be anything from exciting, to mysterious, to dark, to bright, to almost any emotion one can come up with.

In all my blabbing, my point is I just can't see arguing with someone to try to convince somebody that one album is better than the other. My angle is to say why I like or dislike an album - more of an opinion only. It's up to you to form your own opinion based on whatever it is your hear. So your claim of Orchid being the best is YOUR claim, and I can only counter with a claim of my own. Music is not something that can be debated like politics.

I was talking about this yesterday, and an argument I make for placing MAYH as Opeth’s finest effort is, (as I’m sure JCP would agree) as far as I’m able to, MAYH isn’t comparable to any other album, its uniqueness and the beauty in the “brutality” is what places it atop for me.

MY favorite is Morningrise tho MAYH holds a special place in my heart because it was the first Opeth album I heard.Orchid is quite good but not my favorite and I didn't really like Blackwater Park except for the second song(forgot the name and can't find the album) which I think it's one of the best songs.

and I agree with metalmancpa,not because you like Orchid and have your reasons to say it's better it means it's better than any other album and that Opeth are getting worst with each album and will never reach their greatness.I think they have reached their greatness and are holding on to it.
that's all I have to say

My view on each one.

Orchid - Has the best guitar melodies, I don't think the guitars on Morningrise sound as fresh, or weave together and counter-point each other quite as beautifully as on Orchid. I think Orchid also has better songwriting than Morningrise, because the songs flow better. Also, I think it has some of the best melodies Opeth has ever achieved.

Morningrise - This is their most complex album, but is let down by the fact it does not flow so well and the guitars don't sound quite as good as they did on Orchid. However, Morningrise has simply some of the most beautiful acoustic passages ever written. Also, Advent and BRI are better songs than anything on Orchid. The sheer scope and epic-quality of this album is what, in my eyes, makes it the masterpiece it is.

MAYH - Change in style here, more traditionally structured and streamlined. The guitars don't weave in and out, some of the beauty is gone, its not as personal or meaningful to me, this album. But the sheer brutality which is predominant on this album makes it beautiful. The acoustic passages are fewer but in between the anger they are more effective than ever. Also, the growl is cooler, and many (if not all) of the riffs are brilliant. Overall tho, my least favourite. Still - Best use of contrasts.

Still Life - For ages my favourite album. This is MAYH injected with more mellowness, less anger. The songs here are all beautiful, even at their angriest they still feel kind of happy. The acoustic passages here are second only to Morningrise, and this disc has a plethora of amazing Opeth moments. Not sure if its my fav anymore, all I know is, out of the newer Opeth, this is the true masterpiece. The songs are more complex than either MAYH or BWP but not the other two.

BWP - This is like a 'dumbed down' version of Still Life. I mean dumbed down in its complexity, the songs are simply not as complex as the ones on Still Life. However, its makes up for this by introduing an important new aspect....atmosphere. This downright one of the most emotional and atmospheric albums I've heard. The use of a lone note, riding above the other melodies, the complete and utter mournful, sad tone of the whole disc, the lyrics about grief, decay and disease. BWP is like Still Life drained of the happiness that disc had.

I think BWP and Still Life feel like they are complementary to each other. Still Life is almost a happy, refreshing experience, with lush, cheery guitar tones. On the other hand, BWP is a depressing, bleak and draining experience, with a bit of a spooky 'adams family' vibe going (but not in a cheesy way). I think they fit together somehow, but I can'y put my finger on it.

As for my favourite...I don't know! Or care really. Each and every one of them has enough redeeming attributes to make each one just as important as the other. Speaking of what I like least I can only say MAYH. Besides that I can't make this most unfair judgement.

(hmm, usually I don't write so much...must be in that kinda mood)

Mayh is my favourite. The later albums are better at differnet things than the earlier albums. Eg scales/chords/harmonies (early albums were very standard in this way, later albums show a lot of variety and skill in choice of these things)... earlier albums were better at twin guitar lines, while later albums are more chord/rhythm based etc etc.. They are just different, if you think one album is undeniably better than all the rest then id say most likely youre just looking at the good points of that album and not seeing them in the other albums and thinking thats enough to say its better (ie failing to notice that there are good points in the other albums that arent in your favourite album).

Orchid is amateurish in a lot of ways. But then some of the skills they did have in Orchid they havent developed and have completely left behind (such as the twin guitar thing), which is why people who enjoy that thing more will think Orchid is better.

But like i say, comparing is hard. Because they change what they excel in, is twin guitar melodies better than using weirder chords? Impossible to say. I know what i LIKE better, but thats a different thing.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
But my point with red/blue etc. is this - no one person is the consummate music critic.

No person is the consummate physicist either. But judgements one guy makes can be judged against another's.

In all my blabbing, my point is I just can't see arguing with someone to try to convince somebody that one album is better than the other. My angle is to say why I like or dislike an album - more of an opinion only. It's up to you to form your own opinion based on whatever it is your hear. So your claim of Orchid being the best is YOUR claim, and I can only counter with a claim of my own. Music is not something that can be debated like politics. [/B]

you raise fine points, metalmancpa. but I agree with none of them.

some guy takes a delight in watching the juggler juggle three balls. what if there were another juggler juggling 7 balls, of different colors, and furthermore making patterns with the colors of the balls and the sequence with which he were juggling them?

two jugglers, one guy. this guy isn't aware of the intelligence of the other juggler. isn't that a shame? there's nothing subjective about saying, "look, you like that juggler and think he's better than juggler two? but look, he's handling more than three balls- but you dont' see it, he's making patterns you don't see." How would a conversation look then? Isn't it possible to judge an album in the same way? The answer is yes. We can even get somewhat metrical about it. It's the difference between criticism and lay opinion. Discussing what one likes is different from dealing with the artistic merits of a work of art and attempting - because it's possible!- to objectify art as human action and judge it for its intelligence as directed action.

The bottom line is the worst thing one can say is "it's just opinion".

miscellanea:

MAYH had been a perrenial favorite of mine. BWP, i've defended this album more than I can count. I think the first thing that has be met for the critic is that he has to appreciate what the jugglers are doing; for what if juggler # one is doing more than meets the eye, and I haven't recognized it? it's my fault as a critic. and perhaps in argument you can convince of this. In anycase, I can say outright that if you haven't appreciated an album, I don't think you're qualified to judge. I'm directing this towards anyone, but it's as simple as that.

I think Orchid evinces a very wide and "brave" and I would say innovative use of tonality about it, the way it goes all over the scale of music and introduces new musicla ideas and never stagnates, the way it seems to be expressing much more than mere tones, the way it's communicating feelings and putting together a human meaning outside of the music. This is a feature of music that is wanting in Opeth albums such as Morningrise (an album which I appreciate on totally different grounds), or other albums some of whose riffs are "simply there" not doing anything except mechanicallically repeating itself in an extended loop. Think of the song Blackwater Park, the last song. Contrast it to In mist, their very first. One song's music is 'simply there' given mechanical loops, the other is full of a musical life- the "brave" musical modualations, the polyphonic harmonics, and the esthetic nuances of these. Am I missing something about BP? I don't htink so. I can appreciate it, and enjoy it, but then I also see, objectively, how the riffs iterate mechanically; I can see the music in terms of intelligence per sec of music. This is the difference between critical discussion and lay opinion making.

I'm open to intelligent debate - even where something is formless as art is concerned. But this kind of debate must exclude 1) bald assertions and one liners pretending to be omniscient; and 2) and recourse to the phrase "it's all subjective".

Originally posted by Lina
Orchid is unpolished, immature, undeveloped, and incohesive. There's no overarching theme to carry you from the first track to the last. It's a mishmash of songs thrown together -- as to be expected from a first release. The riffs and melodies are predictable, downright fruity at times. The piano piece is poorly played and doesn't fit. OK, I think I'm done.

I don't dislike Orchid, but I agree with most of this. On Orchid, the songs are just different little sections thrown back to back. The music stops, then starts again on something else (they didn't even know where to put the song break between the last 2 songs!).

In Morningrise and onward, Opeth became more progressive in the sense of music progressing from one sound to another, rather than stopping and restarting. The newer songs also have more unity and flow. The first time I heard Orchid, I had no idea when the songs were ending or starting without looking at the player.