THE IMPROBABLE HISTORY OF DEATH METAL & GRINDCORE'

mindspell

vvv Jake's ass vvv
Jul 6, 2002
Montreal
www.mindspell.org
FERAL HOUSE BOOKS TO RELEASE 'CHOOSING DEATH:

THE IMPROBABLE HISTORY OF DEATH METAL & GRINDCORE' THIS FALL

LOS ANGELES - Feral House Books will release Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal & Grindcore, written by longtime extreme metal journalist Albert Mudrian, this autumn.

Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal & Grindcore, which features an introduction by internationally respected DJ John Peel, conquers the lofty task of telling the two-decade-long history of this underground art form through interviews with some of the most esteemed names in these musical genres, from musicians to producers to label heads.

"Many people don't understand the true origins of this music," said Mudrian. "Moreover, I think the secret histories of the bands involved are just as captivating as the revolutionary music they created."

"This music was another step into outlaw territory beyond any aggressive music heard before," said John Peel. "I think death metal and grindcore was a return to a more extreme punk."

For longtime followers, Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal & Grindcore will revisit critical moments in the genres' developments. For newer fans, the book will serve as an invaluable reference piece.

"The enduring impact of death metal can been seen in much of today's heavier music," Mudrian said. "From metallic hardcore to even commercial nu metal, countless bands owe a sizable debt to the work of Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, and Carcass. It's time those groundbreaking influences were properly acknowledged."

Feral House Books has published other definitive extreme music books such as American Hardcore and Lords of Chaos.

well, this is my opinion:

i prefer these bands, because they are magical, to remain in obscurity. and waiting to be (re)discovered.

believe it or not, i once worked with another individual (a very shady character) on a grind/noise discography, with intent of putting it on the web. we tried to list every band in the genre (defined by criteria we set) known to have released something on vinyl/CD. band description, release name, date and release label were included. any band known to have released something on cassette or CD-R was relegated to a name-only list, which in itself was massive.

obviously the concept was overwhelming, but a good deal of work was done.

eventually the other guy dropped (off the face of the earth?), but i kept working on it for a year or so. i've seen a few other attempts at this on the web, and i still believe mine(ours) to be better. all listings stop circa 2000, because i kind of decided right then that no one needs to have this stuff prescribed for them. fuck it. everything else is. if some bands/collectives are gonna fade from existence, then so be it.

right.

This particular book doesn't particularly rise any expectation because it is taking the subject way too wide to be even considered interesting. However, if it even raises the global conciousness a little to the fact that many of these bands (most of them in the grindcore scene) are not neanderthals (sp?) doing noise and barking out stupid lyrics then it would have served its purpose. A lot of the early grind bands actually have something to say, some of them still do, it was not always about sliting a throat and shitting in the corpse's mouth...

actually, no. THAT will be the big twist: "CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF, Carcass are NOT vegan med students".

and then

"DISGORGE, the Los Angeles-based mexi-medi-grind band, appearing on a split with GORE BEYOND NECR•O•GEE..."