The Inner Circle: review

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
"The Inner Circle" marks Evergrey's next step in an evolution designed to not only to please the old, but bring them further respect across the genres. While retaining their signature sound, the clan has released a terrifying experience of human suffering. You aren't going to find any aliens or vampires this time out. What you will find is their darkest work to date...by far. I can honestly say that it took me a few spins to fully grasp things. I don't mean that in the clarity of the story, but in how the lyrics fit my own situation (not in religion, but in my personal crisis that has been going on for near two years now). With Evergrey, I am use to instant gratification. All of their previous disc just hit me perfectly in terms of hook and melody. I didn't get that "quickie" this time. Does that mean I am disappointed? Hell no. It simply means that Evergrey have taken it to the next level and *made* me take my listening experience to that level as well.

First, a simple overview is necessary. The band has released their heaviest disc to date. However, the trademark melodies and guitar punch are instantly recognizable. The new drummer holds his own well even if he doesn't come off quite as powerful as Patrick did. Mike's bass playing is effortless. In fact, the rhythm section blends in invisibly. That is the highest praise I can give them because they are simply part of the music, not a hindrance or spotlight. You can definitely tell a difference in the keys this time as they are more in your face. The guitar leads are crisp and soar. I can honestly think of no other band that has developed a tone in the past five years that is as instantly recognizable as Tom and Henrik. The string section really take the band up a notch in the dark beauty aspect. In terms of production, I will profess to not being an audiophile. I can say I know what I like and I *like* how this sounds. The instrumentation just feels clearer. Finally, there is Tom's vocals. Some may say that Tom over-emotes (is that even a phrase?) at times. I say that he has developed his rich rasp into an emotional powerhouse. Joe Cocker gone metal if you will. Only Russell Allen can match him in terms of sheer "feeling" to these ears.

The disc contains 10 tracks. A few quick thoughts:

1. A Touch of Blessing: Instead of the usual in your face opener, they have chosen a track that builds in intensity flawlessly. A somber Englund is all alone with a quiet guitar lead before the ass-kicking starts. And the ass-kicking doesn't stop until the track ends. Between the soaring guitar leads and the atmospheric keys, I was entranced. The best part for me was actually the 2nd verse stanza and the bridge to the solo. Tom's vocals alternate between hellacious aggression and a lush, calmer tone. Also, the female vocals return and the song hits a crescendo as it closes out. Simply perfection.

2. Ambassador: The first thing that hit me was the shotgun Conception-style opening riffs that melded with the signature Evergrey keys. The song also prominently features layered/processed vocals with another male vocalist that I don't recognize. This tune has quite the blazing solo section with both the guitar and keys alternating. The vocal shriek at the end really sums up the feel of the song.

3. In the Wake of the Weary: Galloping song with a fucking amazing chorus (harkens back to "A Scattered Me.") Carina returns to take over the vocal lead for the 2nd stanza and duet at the end. Bone chilling. This is an amazing fucking song. This may just be their best tune to date. I'm not going to comment further as this one is best left to experience for your self.

4. Harmless Wishes: Just when you got use to the pace, you get shaken a bit. This is one of those mid-paced tunes with a quieter Tom dripping with passion. It contains a very haunting section with nothing more than Tom and a piano prior to the soaring guitar solo.

5. Waking Up Blind: This the one song that will get the most bitching from the true metal warriors that have nothing better to do that masturbate with their chain-mail. This is a beautiful ballad that has a nice bluesy thing going on in the background. The lyrics really hit home with me and I broke down like a little girl. For those of you that have been through a divorce, I'm sure you will understand. This is where the lyrics are meant one way, but standing alone, they can interpreted completely different. It's painful and hard for me to explain.

6. The Essence of Conviction: Crushing intro that leads into two very different vocal styles from Tom dueting. Otherwise, this is probably the most "standard" Evergrey track. I don't mean that in terms of filler, but in the stylistic approach.

7. More than Ever: The keys bitch you slap you here right over the punchy riffs. This six minute track really goes all over the place: heavy verse work, melodic choruses, spoken word samples, melodic guitar solos, atmospheric keys, etc, etc.

8. Where All Good Sleep: Brooding intro that slips into an ISoT style tune including Carina and the keys.

9. Faith Restore: Tom and an acoustic guitar. Tom cries out.."Heal me, I'm broken" and I believe him. This is the other ballad on the disc and its simply haunting with the string section. Great chorus.

10. When the Walls Come Down: I'm not sure where I stand on this track. It's a ballsy move to end it with an instrumental track that contains all spoken word samples. The music really reflects the intent of the vocal passages perfectly as the scales sway between ethereal and moody to kick you in the nuts heaviness.

To sum it up, Evergrey is my favorite band. This is may end up being my favorite Evergrey disc.

Glenn H

an instrumental with spoken word samples? that really has me interested...

Conception-style riffs? AWESOME! perhaps that other male vocalist is Rikard Zander????

excellent review... I can't wait to get this album... sounds like a diverse and bold work

"...their darkest work to date."

"...their heaviest disc to date."

I thought they were the greatest. And now they will probably top their previous albums with number 5! I'll be drooling for a month.

Is this entire album based on religion?

I didn't care for the vocal samples of a preacher throughout every song.

But i guess it's still alright... i dunno.

Regurgitated Guts said:
Is this entire album based on religion?

I didn't care for the vocal samples of a preacher throughout every song.

But i guess it's still alright... i dunno.
After one listen so far I tend to agree. The preacher voice samples on this one aren't quite as bad as the "please don't touch me" drivel on In Search of Truth, but they're still annoying. Maybe it's just me but I think Evergrey's music is better when they don't try to do the concept/storyline stuff that just ends up getting in the way of the music. IMHO Recreation Day is a much stronger album in part because it doesn't have those elements.

Nice review, havent heard the album yet. Im seeing them on the april 30th with Bodom and Iced Earth.

Harvester said:
"
5. Waking Up Blind: This the one song that will get the most bitching from the true metal warriors that have nothing better to do that masturbate with their chain-mail. This is a beautiful ballad that has a nice bluesy thing going on in the background. The lyrics really hit home with me and I broke down like a little girl. For those of you that have been through a divorce, I'm sure you will understand. This is where the lyrics are meant one way, but standing alone, they can interpreted completely different. It's painful and hard for me to explain.
Well, after finally getting to hear the album... (about 20 times by now)... I certainly understand what you mean by this hauntingly beautiful ballad. Lyrically, it is very powerful and Tom sounds incredible.

"Stupid of me to believe in your hypocrisy" I love that line

I know I've posted my review here before but, since the topic title is "The Inner Circle: review" I'll post my review again that I wrote for Amazon (hope I don't get reamed!):

How do I even begin here? When receiving Evergrey's latest album, The Inner Circle, I knew I would get a five star album filled with excellent songs and lyrics but I honestly did not expect to get a flawless masterpiece. Yes, that is correct: flawless. Now, as a review reader, I definitely know it's hard to swallow words such as "flawless" and "perfect" as they're generally pretty worn-out and inaccurate. However, with The Inner Circle, I honestly can stand up and say this is a perfect album. Now that you, the reader, know I think the album is perfect, here is why I think it's perfect.

I guess a good place to start is the music since that's the reason why we all buy CDs isn't it? Well, for all of you Evergrey veterans out there, this is definitely Evergrey. You have your heavy guitars, melodic solos, technical drumming from Evergrey's new and young drummer Jonas Ekdahl, ethereal keyboards and of course Tom's emotional vocals. For those of you just beginning to look into the wonderful realm of Evergrey, you can expect all that was listed in the previous sentence as well as a style of Progressive Metal you've never heard before. Unlike most Progressive Metal bands, Evergrey rely more heavily upon emotion and atmosphere rather than long, technical, "show-off" type-songs that are commonly used in Progressive Metal. Now, please do not get me wrong - Evergrey play their instruments masterfully but they do not let their songs get stale with dry, long, overdone runs of technical ability "show-off."

Unlike Evergrey's previous 2003 effort, Recreation Day, The Inner Circle is based off of a concept. For those unfamiliar with a concept albums, they're an album totally based off of a story; a concept. Rather than trying to describe the concept of The Inner Circle myself, I'll directly quote Tom on the concept: "Throughout the album we will follow a fragile person with low self-esteem who leaves his family for a cult, and who makes drastic changes in his life in order to fully live out 'the inner circles' way of life." There you go, what The Inner Circle is all about. I'd like to add that this is the best concept album I've heard in my life. As a music listener I can openly say I am moved by a lot of music but it is rare that an album moves me as much as The Inner Circle has. Not only did it make me highly emotional, it really kicked-up the thought-process which is always a good thing. Lastly, please keep in mind that this is not an easy concept to swallow; it's extremely dark and deep, more so than your average concept album. Just keep that in mind if you're looking for something more along uplifting lines.

Have been listening to Progressive Metal for some years now, I know how important an album's production can be. If the instruments aren't balanced or the overall sound-quality is poor, it can ruin the whole listening experience. Fortunately, Evergrey have mastered the art of production. All of the instruments (including vocals) are very well-balanced and clear making for the best possible listening experience around.

To basically sum up my review and thoughts here, if you like Metal you really should do yourself a favor and look into Evergrey. You'll experience a band that cannot even be compared to others which is an extremely rare thing in Metal today. If you are already an Evergrey fan, I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't pick The Inner Circle up. Basically, if you want perfection - you've got it!

I'm also going to take the liberty to say if anyone else has reviews ... post 'em! I like reading good, detailed reviews such as Glenn's so I hope to see more! :)