The Internet Radio Equality Act

Magius

Nov 19, 2005
Atlanta
From the SaveNetRadio campaign:

Greetings,

Thank you once again for your support of the SaveNetRadio campaign. As you know, the future of internet radio is in serious jeopardy. Thanks to all your letters and calls to Congressional representatives the “Internet Radio Equality Act ", H.R. 2060, has been co-sponsored by over 70 Representatives in just 2 short weeks!

Now internet radio needs your help again: Due to the amazing momentum of the Internet Radio Equality Act in the House of Representatives, Senators Ron Wyden of Oregon and Sam Brownback of Kansas have introduced a companion bill in the Senate, S. 1353, also named “The Internet Radio Equality Act.”

We ask that you take a moment to now call your Senators to ask them to co-sponsor S. 1353, The Internet Radio Equality Act, introduced by Senators Ron Wyden of Oregon and Sam Brownback of Kansas.

In addition, if you have not called your representative in the House yet, we ask that you make this call as well to ask your representative to co-sponsor H.R. 2060, The Internet Radio Equality Act, introduced by Rep. Jay Inslee of Washington.

To find the phone numbers for your Senators and for your Congressional representative, as well as talking points for the calls, please visit http://capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/home/ and enter your zip code.

As you can see from the speed at which the House bill is picking up co-sponsors, your phone calls are an extremely effective way to pressure your representatives in Congress to lend their support to internet radio.

Your opinion matters to your representatives, and it matters to us. Without your support these bills could not have been introduced and without your continued support they cannot be passed.

Please visit SaveNetRadio.org to continue following the fight to Save Internet Radio.

Thank you,
The SaveNetRadio Coalition
To donate to the SaveNetRadio campaign please visit https://ssl.capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/fundraising/?alertid=9704731&type=FR.
Any amount is greatly appreciated and thanks once again for your support.

From Rep. John Linder, Ga. 7th District.
Thank you for contacting me to express your views about the recent decision by the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) to increase royalty payment requirements for Internet music broadcasters. I appreciate hearing from you on this matter.

The Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) was created by Congress in response to assertions from both artists and broadcasters that the previous system for determining royalty rates needed to be drastically reformed. In response to these assertions, Congress enacted H.R. 1417, the Copyright Royalty and Distribution Reform Act of 2004, which became Public Law 109-419. In effect, this law significantly overhauled the system for royalty rate determination by creating an impartial, independent panel of judges to determine appropriate and fair rates.

After two years of deliberation, in which all sides were afforded the opportunity to participate, and thousands of pages of evidence were considered, the Copyright Royalty Judges raised the royalty rates paid by Internet music broadcasters. The Copyright Royalty Judges, the experts in this area, decided that the new rates were, in fact, fairer to all parties than the previous rates imposed on broadcasters.

In response, there has been an outcry from broadcasters that these new rates are unreasonable and necessitate congressional modification. In effect, the same groups who requested Congress to intervene in 2004 are now asserting that Congress must again step in simply because they do not like the outcome of this new system.

As a result of the objections by Internet broadcasters, H.R. 2060, the "Internet Radio Equality Act," was introduced by Representative Jay Inslee (D-WA) on April 26, 2007. H.R. 2060 essentially declares that Congress' attempt to rectify this situation in 2004, through the enactment of Public Law 109-419, which was passed by a 406-0 vote in the House, was erroneous and nullifies the rate determinations of the Copyright Royalty Judges. This legislation would also change the computation method of royalty fees for commercial and noncommercial service providers. Additionally, the bill would require certain entities to provide reports to the Copyright Royalty Judges concerning the competitiveness of the Internet radio marketplace and the effect on Internet radio providers of proposed rate determinations.

H.R. 2060 is currently being considered by both the House Committee on the Judiciary and the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. Should this bill come to the House floor, I would be inclined to vote against it. I recognize the difficulties placed on smaller Internet broadcasters, many of whom are ill-equipped to handle the increases. That said, I am a staunch supporter of copyright protections afforded to artists under both Title 17 of the U.S. Code and Article I, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution. I believe that Congress should refrain from interfering with the CRB until real evidence can be presented, after the implementation of the decision, that broadcasters are disproportionately punished by the rate change. Congress cannot continually cede to the demands of Internet music broadcasters at the expense of original works.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If I can be of further assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to call on me.

Sincerely,
John Linder
Member of Congress