News about Internet Radio Stations....

mloanna

Sep 18, 2006
Los Angeles
This was sent to me by a friend in the Industry.

Internet Radio Stations In Danger Of Being Put Out Of Business
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 at 10:20:11 EST

The Classic Metal Show (Pitriff.com) has issued the following message to fans and followers of internet radio stations everywhere:

"Internet Radio recently was struck a major blow by having the licensing rates, established by the RIAA and the CRB, raised to levels that will, for the most part, put Internet Radio out of business. By doing this, not only do the small internet radio stations suffer because they will no longer be able to record, but many more will feel the bite of this as well. Small record labels, like many of those that keep your classic rock and metal artists’ releases coming out and have been introducing many of you to smaller up and coming bands which then go on to become bigger bands (LAMB OF GOD, SHADOWS FALL comes to mind) were helped immensely by being heard on Internet Radio in their infancy. The bottom line to these changes is that the only people that will be able to broadcast on the Internet will be your corporate giants, like Clear Channel, AOL and CBS Broadcasting. If you are a supporter of the homogenized, corporate radio that you currently get on terrestrial radio, expect more of that on the Internet, as these rates will effectively kill your ability to hear non-corporate, non-standard and college radio on the Internet.

If you are an Internet Radio Fan or supporter, or are just willing to help the cause, please visit this location, read up on what’s going on, and notify your State Representative that you don’t agree with the raising of these rates and the attack on the small internet broadcasters of the world."

There was another thread about this on this forum, although I couldn't find it. I was going to post this and that thread on www.slashdot.org but, someone already beat me to it:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/10/1358235

I didn't see anything on www.digg.com though. If someone can find that other thread on this forum, I'll digg that too. I really want there to be a blacklash against the RIAA, Clear Channel, etc... for pulling this crap on the little guys (internet radio). Internet radio should be allowed to flourish as well as the bands that they play and change corporate radio to become better.