The John Arch thread

Mr Toast

Threadslayer
Aug 1, 2002
www.mrtoast.com
Hey!

Several of us here are huge John Arch fans, so I thought it might be a cool idea to share our appreciation of him here!

I've always been fascinated with the depth of his lyrics and willingness to deviate from simple arrangements that are easily remembered. John's verses are legendary, and there aren't many other vocalists out there that pack so much into a single song.

As my ear seeks out guitars and drums naturally, vocal arrangements take a little longer to sink in. This means every time I spin a disc John Arch is on, I will pick up some new nuance I didn't hear before, and have really grown to appreciate his energy and efforts as a musician.

Anyways, I just read this interview with John.
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fprogressivemetalfrm20.showMessage?topicID=1.topic

Feel free to post more John Arch goodness as you find it!
:D

john arch hmm.. i have fates warning - night on brocken and a few others.. but i dont know what john has been up to for the passed twenty years or so. i would be glad if some john arch fans could fill me in and perhaps give me a link to his site. thanks! - ben

I remember my first experiance hearing John Arch....

I had been a Fates fan for probably 2 years and had only "Perfect Symmetry" and "Paralles".

I belive it was the Christmas of 91', My mother (bless hear heart! :p ) was always supportive of my music, and got me a few cassettes for Christmas that year. I have no Idea how she knew (she claims she just guessed) but scored a copy of "Awaken the Guardian" for me. She thougth I might already have it but got it for me anyway since I always talked about them (and the guy at the music store highly recomend that album to her! I wish I could meet that guy today?!)... and this was around the time that the first three albums were VERY difficult to find. :ill:

I was a bit hesitant on the first listen, since it was nothing like the other two albums I had from Fates with Ray on them, In fact I remember being confused not seeing him in the band.... but the more I listened, the more I liked it, in fact I LOVED it! From that time on I was always curious as to what happend to John, and felt he should have never left the music biz. About two weeks later after Christmas I went on a quest and found "Night on Brocken" at a local Fred Meyer. I was hooked on John's errie and dark voice.

...it had to have been about two years later, my junior year of High school, I stumbled across "Spector Within" in a bargin bin at a small music store at a mall in Layton City. Ironiclly, it was the week before Christmas, and I had walked to the mall which was across the street from a resturant I washed dishes at. When I walked out of the mall, it was a blizzard, and I had a mile and half walk to get to my girlfreinds house, who I was supposed to rendeveu with as soon as I got off work... I put on my headphones and listend to it begining to end, three times in that long fridged walk to her house.

so... to this very day, when I pull out those albums and hear John Arch's voice, it always reminds me of winter... and I even put these in my CD book all winter long just for the occasion. After hearing the new album and his voice here in the heat of the summer after ten years, his voice STILL reminds me of winter time....

..just my little John Arch experinace :D

\m/
Dustin

*M alificiu M* said:
john arch hmm.. i have fates warning - night on brocken and a few others.. but i dont know what john has been up to for the passed twenty years or so. i would be glad if some john arch fans could fill me in and perhaps give me a link to his site. thanks! - ben

John has been doing the family thing the last 20 years, and has been in self imposed exile from the music scene. So the only four albums (that I'm aware of) he has done are:
Awaken The Guardian
Night On Brocken
The Spectre Within
A Twist Of Fate (released this year)[\i]

I'm not aware of him having a site, but I keep an eye on the Fates Warning and Mike Portnoy boards, as they have been posting John Arch news regularly of late.
www.fateswarning.com
www.ivorygate.com
www.mikeportnoy.com