the latest defendant in copyright infringement... RECORD COMPANIES!

I like "At $20,000 per infringement (the amount owed on some songs exceed this amount), potential liability exceeds $6 billion. These numbers may sound outrageous, yet they are based on the same rules that has led the recording industry to claim a single file sharer is liable for millions in damages."

While I think it's awesome that labels are about to get f@cked in the butt, I also know that if this goes through, I'll lose probably 50% of the work I would normally do in a year so that's a little lame.

Anyone who's employed by the labels at any level will take a huge hit to cover the costs...so really we'll all be paying for it...not the label. Lay offs, smaller recording budgets, less marketing, less everything. Canada's labels are already pretty bad off, this will probably really mess them up.

The record labels have been profiting from pirated music longer than anyone else.

I'm not saying that's always what they do - but let's face it, any time a large monetary box is created where funds are stored indefinitely for the intended purpose of being partially disbursed to various recipients at a later date - there is always going to be the strong potential (at the very least) for corrupt people to abuse it. It happens in large corporations, governments, banks, and anywhere else that money is concentrated.

While I think it's awesome that labels are about to get f@cked in the butt, I also know that if this goes through, I'll lose probably 50% of the work I would normally do in a year so that's a little lame.

Anyone who's employed by the labels at any level will take a huge hit to cover the costs...so really we'll all be paying for it...not the label. Lay offs, smaller recording budgets, less marketing, less everything. Canada's labels are already pretty bad off, this will probably really mess them up.

tuff titties

Basically another way of stating what you've said is that the whole market/system/economy of the industry is reliant on this corruption..

So all those people 'taking the hit' might well consider themselves lucky that they got a piece before the bubble burst.