The Life and Death of A Plea for Purging

Thanks Bryan, I'm sure you'll enjoy the quality and dynamic difference from the CD :)

We used a little bit of pitch correction here and there. VERY slight, but Blake is super self-conscious about his voice and thinks he's not very good. Super humble guys.

You can see the twitter fight if you scroll down either person's posts back to early August. By the way, I totally back you up Josh and completely agree with EVERYTHING

Thanks, but it was a childish exchange that probably should never have taken place in such a public forum.... Although I did get a big kick out of him getting worked up enough to post The Color Morale's overheads. :tickled:

I got the album in two days ago...loving modern metal on vinyl! Good work Josh. This is what I was wanting to do for my bands next release (all real, no samples, but to tape, and release on vinyl and CD). Unfortunately, our drummer's kit isn't up to the task for the no sample straight to tape idea, but the vinyl may still happen.

Thanks Bryan! I would LOVE to start recording bands to tape. What's your experience been with tape recording?

So far it has been very limited. My first demo recording was tracked on 2" and I fell in love. I tracked 4 songs for my band to tape, well the drums for the 4 songs, and one complete. The snare didn't turn out very well and we changed some song structures so I have to re-record. I had to do a little work to resurrect the deck I'm using, so I have only recently been able to try it. I love tape compression, when the tape is hit right, but it takes a little longer to get the right takes.

I'm definitely going to be doing more to tape, but right now will be going to the computer first so I can use some samples and edit if needed (mostly for the snare sound). Once I get that right I'll be bouncing drums to tape for overdubs and mixing. Since you have more experience recording I think you might have better luck.

Oh yeah, my name is actually Sean O'Bryan :)

That really depends on what you go for gear-wise. I got a Tascam 8516 w DBX (1" 16 track) for $700 with some spare parts and tape splicing gear. I work with a guy who used to be a tech, so just had to buy beer while we were going through calibration. I don't know what a tech would cost you. It actually sounds good to me, but some people will tell you that you have to have 2" 24 track to do anything worthwhile. The rest is just preference...patchbay, console or pres, outboard...

It is getting cheaper to go tape, but tape itself is kinda expensive. Not a problem if the band has some budget though.

Blevins Audio is a good place to check for tape machines to estimate prices. I also say this because he is said to be a very knowledgeable tech and can service the machine on purchase. Nashville is a bit of a drive for you though :)

Yeah, I got really lucky. For a deck worthy of your clients and work, if you are already set on pre's, I think you could get something around $2500-4500 ready to go, assuming you want 2". Oh yeah, you are welcome. Back to "The Life" on vinyl

Right on man! Thanks again for the info.

Hearing this album on vinyl for the first time was kinda crazy. The way the analog medium shapes and holds the sound makes such an indescribable difference. Like, it sounds exactly like what I recorded, mixed and mastered, yet it has this tangible and three-dimensional quality that wasn't there in the original 24 bit master. I dunno, just super geeked about my first vinyl release :D

I'd be geeked too! I can't wait to have that experience of hearing my mix on vinyl. I love vinyl, and always wondered what it sounds like compared to the actual 2 track.

What set up do you listen to vinyl on, if you don't mind me asking?

It's a pretty basic belt-driven Audio Technica turntable. I recently upgraded to a diamond tip stylus, which really pulls more clarity and detail from my record collection.

I run the line outs directly into a pair of powered Wharfedale monitors. I've debated getting an amplifier so that I don't have to manually adjust the volume on each monitor, but I don't want to contaminate the sound, haha :p

Van Halen's 1984 is probably one of my favorite records to listen to for pure audio quality. It just sounds so extremely alive compared to any other version I've ever heard.

Cool, Audio Technica turntables are very good, and I have wanted to try the diamond stylus, but haven't sprung for it yet...I use a Crown D150 power amp with some JBL 4311B's. I mix with that set up too. I bought a Project Debut III turntable and just use the stock cartridge. It sounds pretty good though. I just gave my friend his copy of 1984 back yesterday, it is damn good. I like listening to Darkside of the Moon, that and AIC Jar of Flies would have to be my favorite vinyl.

Nice setup man, I just got Dark Side of the Moon, but I haven't listened to it yet.

Hands & Feet was super basic. We did the main rhythm track in one take. Martin acoustic with a pair of Oktava K012s into my Art MPAII. We did one more acoustic track to add layers. Not a whole lot of EQ, just moved around the mics and tried different setups until we found the sound we liked. I believed we went with an XY setup, one mic pointing at the sound hole, the other at the 12th fret. I ran the whole track back through my live room monitors and essentially reamped the live room for extra ambiance. Aaron played a small shaker for the choruses. Also, the piano is Blake's sister's. He recorded the piano part for pre-pro, and I loved how it was slightly out of tune and distant sounding, so we just used that from the pre-pro files.

Hell yeah, thanks for the info man! It sounds nice and full even though it's so open. Find any other uses for the MPAII?

Oh yeah...3 thumbs up for Words Misread!