The Lost Legion - UK-based epic speed metal

The Lost Legion

New Metal Member
Feb 24, 2006
Hail,

The Lost Legion are purveyors of heroic fantasy-themed classic/speed/atmospheric metal. Our musical influences are varied, ranging from 80s classics like Judas Priest, Cirith Ungol, Manowar, Virgin Steele e.t.c. to more modern acts including Blind Guardian and Primordial. Our lyrical themes focus on the literary works of David Gemmell, Tolkien and subjects of our own imaginations. Feel free to check out our material at www.myspace.com/thelostlegion (yup, Myspace again...). We have just finished recording our first demo and unmastered mixes are available to download.

Enjoy,

The Lost Legion

First:

80s-styled metal is more relevant today than much of the post nu-metal, hardcore/mathcore/baggy trousered bollocks that clutters up the CD collections of teenagers, posers and trendy pillocks the world over. Should Voivod be 'left in the 80s'? Celtic Frost? Bathory? Your comment is (I assume) a joke, albeit poorly expressed.

Second:

Mastodon are tedious. And without Voivod and other 80s metal trailblazers, they would not even exist. The first is opinion, the second is fact.

Third:

Yes, our stage names are a bit silly.

There is no such thing as 'outdated' music - merely fashionable and unfashionable. And relevance in art is purely subjective.

'outdated' music is any style who's influence has so permeated almost every other sub-genre of music related to it that simply performing it in it's pure form serves no artistic purpose. like '77 punk or 'raw' (darkthrone) black metal or NWOBHM-style stuff... it's just playing to nostalgia, with absolutely no intentention of pushing any boundaries or advancing the style. and nostalgia is sad.

Grimace is right, if you don't push any boundaries or advance a style, you are not allowed to have a band.

On a more serious note: The music is pretty good, but the vocalist needs big improvement.

The Lost Legion said:
First:

Mastodon are tedious. And without Voivod and other 80s metal trailblazers, they would not even exist.

Yes, our stage names are a bit silly.

Mastadon is a giant elephant isnt it? The stage names are a bit silly I agree.
The music wouldnt load for me when I used mozilla but it worked using IE...just a warning. The scream around 2:30 in the first song, sort of reminded me of The Darkness.

Thanks for your comments guys (apart from the Relapse fanboy who obviously thinks that Carcass tribute bands like Exhumed are 'advancing the style', whatever that's supposed to mean).

The comments re: mixing/vocals are noted - these are just demo tracks intended purely to get the name about (all vocal tracks done in one take - he wasn't happy with some of the tracking but we didn't have time to redo it). We were just desperate to get something out there as we have been sitting on some of these songs for years! But yes, these versions will at least be mastered/remixed and we'll hopefully start work on an album in the summer.

The Darkness - shudder. I will mention this comparison to him but I might be risking a slap...

I've been well aware of the Relapse label for a LONG time, don't you worry. Never cared for them - they've always seemed to focus on Grindcore/Stoner/Brutal DM stuff in the past which isn't my bag.

You enjoy their releases, though. Most people think they're cool so it's OK, you won't get laughed at. You've nothing to fear from an 80s metal worshipping sad-act like myself...