The main question or issue that I continually see. on the boards...

MetalNations

Aug 29, 2002
In Space
Here is the main question or issue that I continually see....

1. My state always gets passed over on tours.

- Here is one of the main reasons. Lack of time. Bands have to take time off of their normal paying jobs in order to tour. People here in the USA only have limited amount of time that they can take off.

- Not many promoters in those areas are unwilling to take a chance on a tour or on a band unless it is a radio playing artist.

- The last thing is routing. Even if bands have enough time to take off of work. Some areas can be out of the way. Instead of having 1 paid show and taking a day off to travel... they can have 2 paying shows.

(* this is my own opinion on this issue. not sure what other agents feel about this. *)

What do you think Hoyt?

Glenn has commented on this before. For major bands that go through the major promoters they are primarily going to the same areas. Probably because past success tends to indicate future success. This is why a number of shows never come to the south. In general, anybody that does booking will tend to go with the same promoters time after time, unless a band specifically wants to hit a different geographical location. For some bands it depends a lot on where CD sales occurred.

Some bands have a demand me thing going on, and if enough in a city demand the band the band is more likely to go there.

--

If you want a specific band (say a smaller one) to hit your state/city on an upcoming tour (announce or unannounced), contact their management/booking company, tell them that you are willing to put up a $2000 guarantee, work your ass off to find a venue, security, etc. And get it going ;)

...What do you think Hoyt?

all great points, and it's exactly what I am learning. :cool:

and Cheiron also has a good point. If you want to see a band bad enough, contact the band's management, get some friends together and pool your money to help front the guarantee. I have considered doing this the next time Overkill comes this way, because they haven't played Atlanta in more than 6 or 7 years. This year they are coming as far south as Nashville - only four hours from me. But it falls after PPUSA weekend, then I have a show set for the next weekend. So time and money will not allow me to make the trip. But the next time... I'll be bringing the Wrecking Crew to the ATL if I can find enough friends to back me.

:kickass:

As mentioned in a thread a couple of months ago, recorded CD sales in a particular city/market as registered by Soundscan have a tremendous impact on whether or not a promoter is willing to put up their own $$$ for a show in his/her city. It's a financial gamble for the promoter, and Soundscan is a tool to help the promoters gauge the potential success or failure of a concert by (your desired band name here) in (your desired city name here). Obviously, illegal downloads are not recorded as sales, and only hurt a band's chance making a tour stop in a city near you.

As mentioned in a thread a couple of months ago, recorded CD sales in a particular city/market as registered by Soundscan have a tremendous impact on whether or not a promoter is willing to put up their own $$$ for a show in his/her city. It's a financial gamble for the promoter, and Soundscan is a tool to help the promoters gauge the potential success or failure of a concert by (your desired band name here) in (your desired city name here). Obviously, illegal downloads are not recorded as sales, and only hurt a band's chance making a tour stop in a city near you.

Not really a comment, just an FYI on Soundscan for anyone that cares. There's a post on the Novembers Doom forum noting how when an album of theirs was scanned, it registered for a completely different band. Thus, Soundscan shows that they have ZERO sales for a particular album, which is completely untrue.

Sometimes, Soundscan may not be a perfect reference tool.

Not really a comment, just an FYI on Soundscan for anyone that cares. There's a post on the Novembers Doom forum noting how when an album of theirs was scanned, it registered for a completely different band. Thus, Soundscan shows that they have ZERO sales for a particular album, which is completely untrue.

Whoa! That totally sucks. How did they eventually catch that I wonder?

I just wanted to say thanks to the promoters who do invest the obvious time and effort to get bands ANYWHERE over here. As a musician in a local band, I understand the issues and the problems you guys experience and thanks for the hard work!

That definitely sounds like an exception not the rule, otherwise the tool wouldn't be as widely subscribed to as it (e.g. Billboard.com).

For more info on Nielsen Soundscan: http://www.soundscan.com/index.html

Nielsen SoundScan is an information system that tracks sales of music and music video products throughout the United States and Canada. Sales data from point-of-sale cash registers is collected weekly from over 14,000 retail, mass merchant and non-traditional (on-line stores, venues, etc.) outlets. Weekly data is compiled and made available every Wednesday. Nielsen SoundScan is the sales source for the Billboard music charts.

Who uses Nielsen SoundScan data?

Nielsen SoundScan clients include all major and most independent record companies, distribution companies, artist managers, booking agents, concert promoters, venue owners, traditional retailers, online retailers and digital delivery companies.

Since March 1, 1991, Billboard Magazine charts have been constructed directly from Nielsen SoundScan data. MTV, VH1, CMT and all major media regularly use Nielsen SoundScan data as well.

I would agree with most of what has been mentioned although I see similar bands of bands that skip Arizona hitting Arizona.

Katatonia, Swallow the Sun tour is hitting here yet some of the Euro tours don't. Katatonia isn't exactly bringing in 1000 plus people. It is playing an average sized club.

I guess I have grown out of the loop with some of our local promoters.