The mastering process...

Incredibly interesting. I've experienced what they are talking about quite a bit.

I'm too lazy to read the linked article, but let me guess: it points out that most remastering jobs squish the hell out of the sound to get a hotter disc, right?

But something weird happens as you listen to it. You like the songs, but you don't really want to listen to it for very long and you're not entirely sure why. You take it off. A few minutes, later you put it back on. Same thing happens: You like the music, but you still want to take the CD off. It's more than a little weird.
I don't know if I'd put it quite in those terms, but I've had similar experiences. I just bought Wolf's The Black Flame yesterday and really have a difficult time listening to it. It seems there are some elements that I can latch onto, but it is like trying to get a grip on a stainless steel wall that has been slathered in petroleum jelly. Dance of Death was an album that produced the same result. When I was in the car listening to it on one occassion I thought that I may have been hasty in my previous judgement, but when I gave it a more focused listen at home through the headphones it was a strain to listen to it.

Compression means squeezing the dynamic range of an audio signal, usually to boost the perceived volume of a song or performance. Compression works on recorded music the way MSG works on food: It makes everything sound more more.
This makes me wonder how much aural/psychological manipulation factors into all of this. Not out of the bounds of possibility that a multi-billion dollar industry is going to due a little tinkering with some test subjects to see how loud translates into sales by measuring brain patterns and such. Same premise as television--where the commercials between shows are often a blaring wall of sound compared to the programming around them.

The individual on the other board who mentioned Rush and Vapor Trails was strange (I scanned that thread quick and didn't see a link). I remember reading an indepth article about this written by an expert in recording/mastering/producing that was very informative and technical. After you posted this, I actually used Rush and Vapor Trails as search terms because I recalled it being used as an example and came up empty....it was a damn good article. Wonder if anyone knows who, where and when?

This makes me wonder how much aural/psychological manipulation factors into all of this. Not out of the bounds of possibility that a multi-billion dollar industry is going to due a little tinkering with some test subjects to see how loud translates into sales by measuring brain patterns and such. Same premise as television--where the commercials between shows are often a blaring wall of sound compared to the programming around them.

I suspect some of this has to do with perceived expectations. The labels are all busy turning out digitally mastered albums that have a hot, compressed sound, so they assume that's what everyone expects - and they're right, in a sense, because they've created an audience through their releases that does expect everything to sound punchy, hot and digital. So, the goal in remastering has become "Make the old shit sound like whatever we'd release brand new tomorrow."

I really don't understand the thinking there: if you really want it louder, that's what the 'volume' knob is for.

the most annoying thing I encounter with remasters are the ones from Megadeth: Mustaine fiddled with the music itself - there are things on there that were not there before. You cannot tell me they were buried within a bad sound before, because the albums sounded great like they were...maybe with the exception of the debut.

Mustaine in the liner notes makes it clear that he does not like his past endeavors. He plays down his own achievements as well as those of his rotating lineup.

I have not seen many pimped re-releases so far that make real sense.

I have not seen many pimped re-releases so far that make real sense.
They are even becoming more senseless, really. What is particularly wasteful is the current vogue of releasing expanded editions of albums for no other reason than to quickly reach into the same pockets twice while maximizing profit margins (e.g. Enemy of God, Warrior Soul, and Hazardous Mutation re-releases).

The current crop of Roadrunner reisuues being done by Metal Mind Productions (would be interesting to know why a Polish label is doing this...hmmmmmm) is a case where it needs to be done to get those albums out and about, however.

The current crop of Roadrunner reisuues being done by Metal Mind Productions (would be interesting to know why a Polish label is doing this...hmmmmmm) is a case where it needs to be done to get those albums out and about, however.

I'm curious why people seem to forget Displeased was (still is?) re-issuing many of those same albums.

There is some overlap there....odd in a way. But the Realm, Znowhite and Solitude Aeturnus (Crimson) CDs were not released by Displeased. I don't know..it's getting hard to keep track, and my wallet cannot hope to keep up with everything.

Xtreem Music has also done some necessary work getting some of those old Drowned Productions and early Spinefarm classics back in print (even if the new cover art leaves much to be desired).