Loudness

Vader is the worst offender in terms of loudness. Also you can definitely hear a change if you listen to early Slayer or Bolt Thrower and then listen to their newer albums.

I read the first couple sentences of this thread and that's all who I could think of. Sheer overkill, especially on The Art of War.

I agree that clipping is a very big problem, and virtually strips the soul out of the music in some cases; of course, this happens to most things as a result of avarice.

Random question... how does the remaster of A Journey's End (Primordial) compare to the original?

When compared with lots of classical music most metal can hardly be called dynamic at all.

This suddenly clicked when I listened to Hate Forest's Niechiesm which starts with Carl Orff's Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi, then goes straight blasting black metal. A whole component of the music is the change in volume, in addition to all the other features.

I prefer the music louder, because I hate it when I have to turn it way up just to hear what's going on and then someone IMs me and the AIM ring noise is deafening. I see how the loudness is a problem though, because I can't put my playlist on random and then get up and walk away because I have to keep coming back to adjust the volume every time a new song starts, especially if it's jumping between metal and classical music.

It doesnt have anything do do with the music itself, per say. It is rather that the frequencies and tracks are boosted to fuck, therefore loosing there dignifying qualities etc.

Am I right guys?or totally off.

One complaint I used to have about Superunknown (Soundgarden) because the album sounds slightly muted. --This was before I was a music geek though.
That's just because they use so much layering in that album. That album is a great modern rock example of the use of dynamics.
Granted, Superunknown is 15 years old, but it didn't do the "loud" thing... which was still a fairly prominent fad back then too.

BlackMetal:
Fuck with your equalizer... you can usually turn up the main decibel levels, in addition to the actual volume. By doing that, you technically have the volume down, except the music is just as loud.