__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
The Mist And The Morning Dew – The Mist And The Morning Dew
Vendlus Records – Vend 007 – 2005
By Russell Garwood

TMATMD.gif

The Mist And The Morning Dew have a totally kickass name. That out of the way, they also feature members of luminaries (and lesser known groups) such as Finntroll, Shaman, Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, Shape of Despair, Rapture, Unholy and The Seventh Planet. Their music is much like a transient moment of happiness on a warm summer’s day. Nope, not working for you? Ok, I’ll remove my head from my – well you get the idea – and continue; the music is folk and doom influenced, female fronted metal. Melodic guitars provide a melancholy tone, with memorable rhythm work, pervasive yet well placed acoustics, and soaring leads. Their sheer variation creates a layered feel in the borderless music. Above this the lulling voice of Veera Muhli (Unholy) gently moves the songs onward with a dream-like air (oh, I just went there again didn’t I? It’s this music man!). This gradual yet constant progression occurs throughout, keeping everything interesting and somehow formless. The drums and bass create a solid rhythm section, while occasional violins are an excellent addition.

In short, The Mist And The Morning Dew is excellent for a demo. This limited re-release by Vendlus has cool packaging, but due to the loss of the original recording, remastering was impossible. This leaves slightly murky production, which – to my mind – in no way harms the music; it is one of those rare cases where a less-than-perfect production actually works very well. Steeped in atmosphere, lovingly arranged with care and attention, and well written, this release proves a promising debut for The Mist And The Morning Dew. Worth checking out for fans of folk influenced or atmospheric metal.

7.5/10

Official The Mist And The Morning Dew Website
Official Vendlus Records Website