The music business? answers plz

DeathPact

Packed with death
Jan 19, 2005
London, but not from
I am always wondering how does it realy work and when do you actually become fucking rich? Apart from the pure luck you need lol, please explain the hole shebang from your first song on paper to your 5th platinum album (explain the platinum part 2 plz) lol im to lazy to go browse the web for all this :p and is the band COB now basically rich? they still look the same apart form the insane equipment?

You wont get rich but you will if you work hard enough and dont suck make enough of it to have it as your primary income. You will also get a lot of stupid fans like on this board thats the downside though :(

panzerKunt said:
You wont get rich but you will if you work hard enough and dont suck make enough of it to have it as your primary income. You will also get a lot of stupid fans like on this board thats the downside though :(

that made absolutely no sense!!

Is cob rich? how rich? they sold gold or plati or wtf ever they must be rich right?

DeathPact said:
Is cob rich? how rich? they sold gold or plati or wtf ever they must be rich right?

Have they actually sold gold anywhere else than Finland? The finnish market is tiny so the amount of records sold is not that great even if a records sells gold. IIRC something like 20000. I think they make most of their money out of gigs, not sure though.

so u wanna become damn filthy rich ?
man u gotta like what you're doing first and then go after the treasures ~!
a friendly advise ....

Tut Ankh Amon said:
LOL, thank you very much for your signature.
I mean, these guys with pictures of hairry males are just.... pfsh

:D

thanx man ~!
should i keep it ?

To make big bucks in music industry you have to be handsome/beautiful first. And live in the US. Then you contact the people who write songs for Britney and Backstreet Boys and insert-the-pop-band-or-artist-you-really-hate. Then if they happen to like you they'll give you a record deal, zoom you into the stars in a weekend and a week later from the moment you first were in the studio, you'll be performing to 10,000 people. After something like 6 months or so, the record company has gotten loads of money off you so they'll start giving a bigger piece of the incoming profit to you and thus you get your big bucks.

Period.(-blood)

DeathPact said:
(explain the platinum part 2 plz)

in the US, i don't know about other countries, gold and platinum are certifications for the amount of units(cd's) shipped to stores. it has nothing to do with actual sales. neilson soundscan is how many units have actually been sold in the US. the measurement goes back to 1990 when it was started.

gold - 500,000 units shipped
platinum - 1,000,000 units shipped
diamond - 10,000,000 units shipped

diamond isn't really talked about very much since it's prerare that an artist will actually reach that milestone. i actually found out about it while watching mtv cribs, when the artist shaggy was showing his off.

they still look the same apart form the insane equipment?

their "insane equipment" is coming from their endorsement deals(read: free gear) with ESP, Pearl drums, etc.

i'm 100% sure that CoB are far from rich. they probably don't need regular jobs though.

i have more to say about this subject, but i'm not sure how to structure it. unfortunately, over at the machine head board, all threads get deleted after they fall off of the 20th page. there were some really good threads about this.

yup, Shadeg is right, for most metal bands that is the only income they will see. Most metal bands probbably never pay off the debt to the record company, but that is the way it is for most bands. First you have to recoup the money for recording, then you see money for album sales. Producers usually get the better deal because they get paid retrograde after they pay off thier debt, but the artist gets paid from each album after recoup costs are met.

So what does that mean, If you like a band, buy their merch and see their gigs, albums are pretty much promotional, because they really do it for the record companies.

Tut Ankh Amon said:
LOL, thank you very much for your signature.
I mean, these guys with pictures of hairry males are just.... pfsh

:D

You know you were just kidding, you hairy piece of manmeat.
You just LOVE my flabby mantits...

Silver Incubus said:
yup, Shadeg is right, for most metal bands that is the only income they will see. Most metal bands probbably never pay off the debt to the record company, but that is the way it is for most bands. First you have to recoup the money for recording, then you see money for album sales. Producers usually get the better deal because they get paid retrograde after they pay off thier debt, but the artist gets paid from each album after recoup costs are met.

So what does that mean, If you like a band, buy their merch and see their gigs, albums are pretty much promotional, because they really do it for the record companies.

you forgot to add things like advertising, tour support, and things like videos. all of that has to be paid back before a band sees any royalty checks as well.

Yeti man, thx for some of your info, plz if you have more to say structure it and send me email about it when you finished, it would be appreciated! its realy interesting, but I mean parts like their sponsored equipment I did know, but not the amp and cabs? are those sponsored aswell?