The Music Business in 2010

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
I posted in this in another thread over at the PPUSA forum earlier, but I thought I'd post it here as well, as I often get asked why PQ don't tour as much and as far afield as other bands particularly as support to bigger bands. Just a few thoughts for discussion........

It's a tough old business that's for sure being a support band/opening act, probably more so now than ever. If you consider tour support is not available to a lot of bands. Buy ons can range amazingly depending on the tour....from £100 to £1000 per show in my experience so if you then multiply that out it is already significant before you have even costed out the other inherent costs ie transport, fuel, drivers (if you are taking a nightliner), road taxes, flights/ferry costs, agent fees etc. You are going to have to shift an awful lot of merchandise to even cover some of those costs, and then venues will potentially take a cut (10% - 25% in my experience) so all in all it's a massive financial commitment. You may also have to "price match" your merchandise to that of the headliner, which may mean having to sell a shirt for £20 when you would normally sell it for £10.

The other side of the merchandise situation I have noticed is that kids don't have as much disposable income and therefore if they go to a show they are likely to, on the whole, spend the money they have on headliner merch....even if they happen to like the opening band as well.

In addition there is no fee/payment to be had an opening act, unless you have a particularly friendly agent or tour manager. Even if you are lucky in this respect, that payment will not cover the cost of the buy on more often than not.

I guess the reality is, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that luck plays a big part as it does in a lot of walks of life. But do we, as fans and/or musicians, determine success by purely financial markers? As bands, do we make music to make our fortune and become "rock stars" or do we do it because it is what we need to do creatively?

It is a tough business, particularly in the digital age. If tour support is calculated on physical sales (and legal downloads) that doesn't help the smaller band particularly either as, although file sharing may spread the word, nobody officially knows where these fans are.

At the end of the day though.....I'll tip my hat to any band, irrespective of whether I'm a fan, who are prepared to put their hands in their collective pockets and try to get their name out via sheer hard work, no matter what the sacrifices are.

Amen indeed!

I can definitely see what you're saying Steve about luck playing a big part. It's a shame that Power Quest aren't as big commercially as they deserve to be but I certainly am trying to spread the word about you guys and I'm sure many other fans are too.

I'm well looking forward to the new album and I can see you guys getting bigger and better for years to come! I honestly think that.

I don't know the inner workings of a touring band any more than the next guy who's watched Spinal Tap :lol: so this is revealing to me. I didn't know supporting bands had to "buy on". Pay for the privilege of opening for a headline band? How odd. I suppose I'm not surprised but in my naivety I sort of hoped that there'd be a pot of money from ticket sales and the money was distributed among the bands who played (maybe 40-60 for support and main act, respectively). It's not an ideal world we live in, that much is patently clear!

Still I've heard before from Steve how much of a financial commitment the whole business is - hell of a lot of investment for very little returns. Still isn't it often said these days that the only revenue worth a damn is from touring what with CD sales and all? I suppose if PQ is to turn a profit once in a while to keep the machine nicely oiled (we all know Steve isn't in it for the money) then we have to expect them on the road/at festivals more often?

that's exactly the Catch 22......to be able to get on the road (with tour support) you need to sell a significant amount of CD's but to sell those CD's you need to be on the road more....lol! And then of course you have to balance the 6 different day jobs that all the members have and try and co-ordinate those as much as possible too.

As always I'll be doing my utmost to ensure PQ are out and about as much as is humanly possible during the course of 2011 :)

For example, would you guys prefer to see PQ headlining shows at smaller venues, and for smaller crowds and playing for 90-120 minutes...or tagging along with more established bands and playing for 30-45 minutes? The bigger tour provides, in theory more exposure whereas the smaller shows rely more on the existing fanbase to a degree.

Of course.....the reaction to the new record will also go a long way to dictating this side of things too.

Being overseas I probably don't have as much sway on that one as the European fans do, but I definitely think you should go for the headlining gigs. And the reaction to Blood Alliance will definitely play a part in that...

I think it'd be really great if you got yourself some more supports. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing PQ headline shows, but I'd also love to see more people coming along to them. I think it'd work well if you got yourself on the right tour sometime, but obviously as you said, dayjobs and lack of money in it make things difficult. Festivals will be a good exposure point, if you play any I'm at I'll make sure I drag along people who maybe wouldn't usually pay to see the Quest!