The Music of Southern Appalachia

The Black Prince

New Metal Member
Feb 24, 2008
\Mountain Music

The Southern half of the Appalachian mountain chain holds a unique place in American cultural history. In remote communities from the Alleghenies of West Virginia to the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains of Virginia, the Carolinas and Tennessee, to the Ozarks of Alabama and Arkansas, physical and cultural isolation favored the persistence of Old World musical traditions brought by the regions early Celto-Germanic settlers.

Early white settlement in the Southern Appalachians was largely dominated by lowland Scots/Scots-Irish, but there were also strong leavenings of Highland Scots, English country folk (particularly from Northumberland and Cumbria), German Lutherans and Scandinavians, especially in Virginia and North Carolina.

These peoples brought a tradition of ballad singing and fiddle tunes dating back a millennium or more. Many of the characteristic ballads of the Southern Highlands - "The House Carpenter," "Little Musgrave," "Bonnie George Campbell," "St. James Infirmary" - are British songs dating to the late medieval and early modern periods. Some are even older: "False Sir John" (known more often in the Old World as "Lady Isabel and the Elf Knight") is likely rooted in an Old Norse ballad from pre-Christian Norway. The archetypal 'Southern' fiddle tune - "Soldier's Joy" - likely goes back to a similar source.

This medieval repertoire persevered as part of a living oral tradition in the isolated fastness of mountain hollers long after they had essentially died out except as curiosities in their native countries (far more variants of the classic British Child ballads have been collected in the American South than in Britain). With their emphasis on instrumental improvisation within either a modal or a five tone harmonic framework, the Old World musical traditions of the Southern Highlands would become the bedrock on which virtually all future American music would be anchored.

The decades immediately preceding and following the American Civil War proved to be a turning point in the history not only of Southern Appalachia, but in the history of American music. During the 30 years between 1850 and 1880, the railroads pierced the Southern Highlands, finally bringing them in sustained contact with the rest of the country. Laying track through the rugged terrain of the Southern mountains was a herculean task requiring a massive labor force to complete.

Railroad work was always dangerous, but no work was more dangerous than that of tunneling through the Appalachian mountains. 450 million years of erosion had left the oldest mountains on earth as rounded nubs, but what remained was among the toughest rock on earth - the 3 billion year-old granite of the continental shield. The usual dangers of tunnel work prevailed - cave-ins, accidental explosions, pockets of poisonous gas - but the greatest threat was silicosis acquired from inhaling the dust left behind in the process of drilling blasting holes.

The mortality rates on many of the tunnel projects soon proved so high that only the most expendable of workers - poor local whites and blacks shipped in at bargain basement wages (or no wages at all, the use of prison work crews for rail projects being widespread through much of the South, with prison gangs often being sent hundreds of miles away, even across state lines). Thousands of white mountain folk worked and died alongside black workers and prisoners brought in to help complete projects like West Virginia's Great Bend Tunnel (around which the legends of John Henry swirl) and the Swannanoa Tunnel just east of Asheville, NC (the 20 year nightmare that spawned the classic work song "Swannanoa Tunnel," the direct ancestor of one of country music's first great hit songs, "Nine Pound Hammer (Roll on Buddy)")

The synthesis of African rhythms and North European harmonic and melodic principles that is so fundamental to all subsequent American music first emerged among the work crews digging tunnels and laying track through the mountains of the South. The blues were born here, country too. They were dispersed throughout the United States by the great population movements spurred on first by the railroads themselves, and then by great demographic shifts of the early 20th century, which saw blacks and mountain folk in the tens of thousands moving into the industrial cities of the North and Upper Midwest, as well as the emerging mill towns of the Piedmont South. They brought with them the hybridized musical sensibilities that first emerged among the hammer swingers of the Appalachian rail projects.

In cities like New Orleans, New York, Chicago and Kansas city, blues musicians, encountering early Modernist classical music became the first jazzmen. Bluegrass emerged from a similar process in the textile and coal centers of the Southern foothills and Piedmont regions. Rock 'n roll was born when the various musical offspring of those mountain railroad men merged yet again. Fittingly, the term itself originated in the idiom of the tunnel crews: "rock 'n roll" referred in the beginning to the movements of the man holding the metal rods that 'steel drivin' men' hammered into the unyielding rock of the Southern Highlands.

That historical digression aside, however, the purest and most authentic expression of Appalachian music remains its original guise, the ballads, dances, work songs and fiddle tunes passed down through an oral tradition that stretches all the way back to medieval Europe, so it is my intent to make as much of this music as I have in my collection available for your enjoyment and edification.

Cheers,
Edward Plantagenet

Bascom Lamar Lunsford

Known as "The Minstrel of the Appalachians," Bascom Lamar Lunsford was born at Mars Hill College (Madison County, North Carolina) and grew up in the Turkey Creek district of my own hometown, Leicester, NC (just west of Asheville). Lunsford was a man of many hats, singer, songwriter (notably of the country standard "Old Mountain Dew"), folklorist, traveling salesman and schoolteacher. As a collector and preserver of the folk traditions of the North Carolina mountains, he had no peer. He should probably be considered the greatest of the 'songcatchers' who kept the tradition of Appalachian balladry alive in the early 20th century. His contributions to the "Memory Project" (for which the recordings on this album were made in 1949, when Lunsford was 67) of the library of Congress represent the largest collection of material provided by any single American - over 300 songs. Lunsford played both fiddle and banjo (in the traditional mountain clawhammer style), but it is his untrained and unaffected baritone voice that was his most endearing trait.

Bascom Lamar Lunsford Banjo Tunes, Ballads and Sacred Songs of Western North Carolina

Jean Ritchie

Sometimes called the "Mother of Folk," Jean Ritchie is a Kentucky folk singer known for her pure, lyrical voice, her skill with the Appalachian ('mountain' or 'lap') dulcimer, and her vast repertoire of traditional ballads culled from the Southern Appalachian folk tradition. Most of her songs, like those represented here, originated in the balladic traditions of the British Isles, and as such, are often relics of the late medieval and early modern eras (the earliest variants of "False Sir John" seem to have appeared in England and Scandinavia as early as the 11th century).

These ballads are, by and large, songs concerned intimately with honor, kinship, death and violence. A student of modern music will be interested to find many of the characteristics of supposedly 'African' blues music (dialogue based lyrical structures, call and response, certain tonal and elaborative features, etc.). This is a Smithsonian Folkways recording made in 1961.

This music is near and dear to my heart, as I grew up with these songs as a part of my own family life. The variant of "The House Carpenter" included in this collection was one my mother sang when I was a child.

Jean Ritchie - Ballads From Her Appalachian Family Tradition

Music From the Lost Provinces

When commercial recording technology became available in the 1920s, Appalachian performers emerged as some of America's first recording stars. Playing a stylized version of the folk music of the Southern Highlands now typically called 'old-time' (but was often called 'Hillbilly' music at the time), performers like Uncle Dave Mason, Fiddlin' John Carson Kelly Harrell, Gid Tanner and Riley Puckett, backed by the characteristic string bands of the time (typically consisting of two fiddles, banjo played in the finger picking, frailing or clawhammer styles, mandolin, guitar and bass) brought Appalachian music to America. The appearance of the stringbands, and especially, the move to recorded music represented a distinct break in the tradition of mountain music. No longer a primarily oral tradition in which strong regional variation played an important role, the stringbands served as the key evolutionary bridge between the fluid, community-oriented cultural practice of 19th century Appalachian folk music and the homogenized and performer-centric practice of the emerging country music industry. Still, this is the medium through which the vast bulk of the folk music of the earlier period has been preserved, and, unlike most subsequent generations of commercially produced country music, the old-time stringbands of the 1920s and 30s were deeply rooted in the Appalachian tradition from which they sprung, and accordingly, played music with a degree of sincerity and authenticity that has really not been matched since.

The following compilation consists of a series of early recordings (1927-1931) made by several (mostly) lesser-known stringbands hailing from North Carolina's "Lost Provinces" (Ashe, Avery, Alleghany, Watauga and Wilkes counties in the northwest corner of the state), a region that remained one of the most isolated parts of the continental US well into the 20th century. Of the artists included on this recording, by far the most popular (and historically significant) were Grayson & Whitter. This duo was responsible for popularizing several of the most enduringly loved tunes from the Appalachian tradition, most notably "Train 45," "The Banks of the Ohio," "Handsome Molly" and probably the greatest of all the American murder ballads, "Tom Dooley" (G.B. Grayson was, incidentally, the grand-nephew of the Sheriff Grayson who tracked and apprehended the real-life Tom Dula). Those familiar with similar vintage blues recordings will note strong stylistic parallels between several of these songs (notably "Short Life of Trouble" and "Don't Get Trouble in Your Mind") and many early blues recordings, despite a distinctly different musical idiom, showing just how indebted to the Appalachian folk tradition the blues really were.

Music From the Lost Provinces: Old-Time Stringbands from Ashe County, North Carolina & Vicinity, 1927-1931

Too much reading even for me....... lol but the simiarities of bluegrass to celtic folk have always been obvious. I think the statement "the Old World musical traditions of the Southern Highlands would become the bedrock on which virtually all future American music would be anchored." is a bit over the top however

How so? Country and the blues were born from the Appalachian folk tradition, and every significant movement in American music in the 20th century was born from either country, the blues, or a combination thereof.

I dont feel thats the case with jazz nor metal and not so sure I feel that way about the Blues either. I think blues was born in the tobacco fields or Mississippi delta. Its very different from bluegrass in feel and the scale. Then RnR came from the blues, fused with the RnR from England which too was influenced by the blues, then it evolved, some bands got heavier and heavier, finally fusing that with more advanced use of theory related to classical music and became metal.

In fact I think at least as far as recorded music, jazz is older than the blues and some early jazz artists were Southern European decendents.

I dont feel thats the case with jazz nor metal and not so sure I feel that way about the Blues either.

Jazz is a direct descendant of the blues, which are directly descended from the music blacks encountered working on the railroads in the Southern Appalachians in the decades immediately after the Civil War. The early blues repertoire was overwhelmingly drawn from the Appalachian tradition and from the railroading songs of the late 19th century, most of which originated among the work crews who constructed the tunnels and trestles across the mountains of the South.

I think blues was born in the tobacco fields or Mississippi delta.

The so-called 'Delta blues' were a relative latecomer, appearing as a distinct style only in the 1930s, far too late to have been the genre's point of origin.

Its very different from bluegrass in feel and the scale.

Actually, the scale (pentatonic) is precisely the same. Not sure why you're referencing bluegrass though, as that was a popular country music style dating to the late 1940s and early 50s, well after the period under discussion here.

Then RnR came from the blues

Rock 'n roll was a hybrid form which combined blues structures with R&B derived vocals and an instrumental format centered around the guitar, bass and drum combination typical of country music in the late 40s and early 50s.

A few good sources for some old English/celtic folk are Fairport Convention and Pentangle. They're both great English folk/rock bands.

I don't know a whole lot about Appalachian folk music. I've always liked English/celtic folk better than Americana.

Well Im not going to download your links, I expected simple samples not some download site. If you want to give Appalachia credit for all modern music fine.

So let me understand this, Im to ignore Bluegrass ? Because its not the music of the Applachians ? Because it supposedly relatively new music ? As is the Delta Blues and Jazz and RnR.... yet it all owes its debt to this one small area of the country... because prior to this recent 20th century the only musical people in the country lived in the Blue Ridge or Smokey Mountains?

Then it is easily explained... the corrolation of this old folk music to the work of Fletcher Henderson or Glenn Miller... or... Metallica? Then where does Django Reinhardt fit into this scenario ?

In order for me to agree with this I would have to be ignorant enough to ignore all the other cultures that migrated to this huge country called the melting pot.

I have no problem with anyone liking folk, country or bluegrass music or laying claims that folk music would be the oldest music in this county, as if classical didnt make the migration. But laying claims that all American music owes its debt to the Blue Ridge its absolutely nuts.

What does Django Reinhardt have to do with American music? Seriously?

In any event, the fact remains that all of the major American musical forms that emerged in the 20th century: country, bluegrass, the blues, jazz and rock owe their core melodic, harmonic, structural and conceptual elements to the Celto-Germanic folk tradition that was preserved primarily in Southern Appalachia. That isn't to say that other traditions didn't inform those musics, but the dominant influence came out of the Appalachian tradition.

First bare in mind that I am a country boy, in fact I live in the Northern Applacians, and am a proud "hillbilly" but I grew up on RnR, hardrock and the blues and I dont have a feel for country, bluegrass or folk music to any degree, it is so totally different, Im also not much of a fan of this music though I can listen and enjoy myself... breifly.

But your statement is total nonsence, first of all theres only 12 notes, but mostly used is the 7 note scale, or in blues a 5 note scale with passing tones or pentatonic, a five note scale that ocassionally picks up the remaining two tones of the 7 note scales. Incidently while the blues scale and pentatonic scale parallel each other to some degree their use is totally different. For example C pentatonic = A blues (if you leave out the passing tones). Melodic and harmonic structures were developed to their fullest potential in classical music, its was not a science isolated to the southern Appalachian. It was also well developed and migrated in hymnals to all parts of the east coast. I sang plenty of that ancient stuff, painfully in the 60's & 70's... talk about lack of groove.

Then there is the rhythmic values that are the most distinguishing characteristics of music. Of which jazz and blues derived from African music.

I wont delete the value of folk music that migrated across the entire east coast but there was alot more at play in the development of ragtime, jazz, blues and eventually RnR, than you seem willing to allow. Then I prolly shouldnt mention American JP Sousa and his marches........

What does Django have to do with American music ? Well jazz is an American music and Django was the most influencial jazz guitarist... nothing more to say.

Here, I did some research just to make sure I wasnt washed up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragtime
now ragtime brings marches into the picture, which also enters JP Sousa as well as many classical composers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_(music)
then of course Ragtime and Scott Joplin go hand in hand, once again enters classical training
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Joplin

OK the Blues which mentions European music but read up on "blue notes" and their similarities to African music. As well as so many other African influences that made the blues the blues, far more than folk music.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blues

Now were around to Jazz, which briefly mentions New England hymnals as well as European music traditions... but its the many other characteristics that make it jazz, other wise it be called "folk music"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz

heres the most interesting statement:" By 1808 the Atlantic slave trade had brought almost half a million Africans to the United States. The slaves largely came from West Africa and brought strong tribal musical traditions with them.[3] Lavish festivals featuring African dances to drums were organized on Sundays at Place Congo, or Congo Square, in New Orleans until 1843, as were similar gatherings in New England and New York. African music was largely functional, for work or ritual, and included work songs and field hollers. In the African tradition, they had a single-line melody and a call-and-response pattern, but without the European concept of harmony. Rhythms reflected African speech patterns, and the African use of pentatonic scales led to blue notes in blues and jazz.[4]" but theres much more great reading, dont ignore it, all the links to composers and styles, is all quite interesting

BUT the one place it doesnt primarilly lead to is Appalachian tradition..... though European music of both the classical and folk form had their hand in the stew... naturally, this was a European settled country. As I said since the beginning there has been far too many other ingredients and varients for white hillbillys to try to garner all the credit of being the backbone of all "American music". Personally I believe if it was all left up to us, we'd still be singing out of those hymnals and have about as much groove as a three legged Mule.

Are you seriously citing Wikipedia as a source? I mean, you do realize that most of the content there is, in essence, made up?

In any event, you're full of crap. There is no 'blues' scale, the blues scale is one and the same with the pentatonic minor scale which has its origins in Western European music. The basic problem with associating the 'blues' scale with African music is that it appears in European folk music dating to the early modern period, music that, in America, was preserved almost exclusively in the Southern Appalachian region and dispersed to other regions during periodic migrations out of Southern Appalachia. By contrast, music known to make use of the pentatonic minor (blues) scale in West Africa is of relatively recent vintage, so it is entirely possible, even likely, that its usage here reflects a borrowing from European and American missionaries of the late 19th century.

As for the call and response structures so typical of 'black' music in America, Yale scholar Willie Ruff (a noted jazz musician, and, incidentally, black) has pretty conclusively shown that these were almost certainly an adaptation of the early modern Protestant practice called 'line-singing' that was common in Colonial America and continued to persist in isolated rural communities in the Southern Appalachians and in areas settled out of Southern Appalachia (it is still practiced in Oklahoma's Indian Territory, where displaced Cherokee, by then largely assimilated into the white communities of Western North Carolina and North Georgia, brought the mountain traditions in the 1830s). Theories which ascribe this development to African influence are beginning to be discarded by most ethnomusicologists as a result.

In any event, you're full of crap. There is no 'blues' scale, the blues scale is one and the same with the pentatonic minor scale which has its origins in Western European music.

Actually, the term 'blues scale' is commonly-used jargon among guitarists and it denotes a scale that is ever so slightly different from the minor pentatonic. For instance, the A minor pentatonic would be the following: A C D E G A

The blues scale would be the same thing but with a raised 4th added in. Accordingly, the blues scale in A minor would be: A C D D# E G A

This is at least what I've gathered from a number of years of taking guitar lessons from multiple teachers.

edit: By the way, welcome back.

Wikipedia has been around long enough now that most of the origional problems have been corrected. I'd hardly call that made up stuff. But your claims that all American music stems from a railroad tunneling project are more than obviously made up. Why is it you want to disolve credit to any other sources throughout the melting pot ? Or further yet that anyone applied independant creative thought in the further development of music ? The information I gave links to clearly stated that use of Western melodies were derived from European influence... but thats a no brainer after all thats why its called Western music and its a well know fact that the entire country was settled and controled by Europeans. Like I said theres only 12 notes there but to qoute a phrase from Eric Clapton..... "its in the way that you use it". Now when I listen to these old folk ballads am I to believe that this is where jazz came from ? Why because jazz uses notes too ? So until someone in America creates new notes that have nothing to do with these current 12 notes they are just playing an extension of Applachian folk ballads ?

Frankly I think you have it backwards and in direct contradiction to your own words. American music moved on adding many new elements and influences while the isolated Appalachian region remained stuck in the rut. Then your statements seem to claim that no one else in the country had a musical bone in their body until they passed through Appalachia and became enlightned...

Cythraul - theres more passing tones in the A blues scale than D#, theres G# as well as C# & B which becomes very close to chromatic at that point and require careful use. The "blue notes" are actually flattened 3rd, flatened 5th and flattened 7th rather than sharps. Here a link to a "made up" information page... lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_note

Note that it states the blue notes were present in English folk music but used over a different progression. C D E G A is also C major pentatonic and works well over anything in the key of C.

Cythraul - theres more passing tones in the A blues scale than D#, theres G# as well as C# & B which becomes very close to chromatic at that point and require careful use. The "blue notes" are actually flattened 3rd, flatened 5th and flattened 7th rather than sharps. Here a link to a "made up" information page... lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_note

The minor pentatonic scale with a diminished fifth (or as I said, a raised fourth (same fucking note)) is one particular blues scale and the only one I've ever known about (I don't really care about such stuff, hence my ignorance). I didn't know about a single blues scale containing all the passing tones you mentioned, but thanks for the info.

Yes my theory is minimal as well and I dont read music at least in decades so I always think in sharps not flats but yea the blues scale has that whole pile of notes and use varies between a minor or major A blues... in this instance. They're rarely good notes to hold though... lol thus - passing tones.

That is the problem with people thinking pentatonic and blues scale are same thing, plus the application is totally different. THis is A blues we talking about here and it will work over a A blues using dom7ths in the key of A, a A minor blues using minor chords or stripped down to C D E G A is also key of C pentatonic and will work over anything in the key of C.

Are you seriously citing Wikipedia as a source? I mean, you do realize that most of the content there is, in essence, made up?

In any event, you're full of crap. There is no 'blues' scale, the blues scale is one and the same with the pentatonic minor scale which has its origins in Western European music. The basic problem with associating the 'blues' scale with African music is that it appears in European folk music dating to the early modern period, music that, in America, was preserved almost exclusively in the Southern Appalachian region and dispersed to other regions during periodic migrations out of Southern Appalachia. By contrast, music known to make use of the pentatonic minor (blues) scale in West Africa is of relatively recent vintage, so it is entirely possible, even likely, that its usage here reflects a borrowing from European and American missionaries of the late 19th century.

As for the call and response structures so typical of 'black' music in America, Yale scholar Willie Ruff (a noted jazz musician, and, incidentally, black) has pretty conclusively shown that these were almost certainly an adaptation of the early modern Protestant practice called 'line-singing' that was common in Colonial America and continued to persist in isolated rural communities in the Southern Appalachians and in areas settled out of Southern Appalachia (it is still practiced in Oklahoma's Indian Territory, where displaced Cherokee, by then largely assimilated into the white communities of Western North Carolina and North Georgia, brought the mountain traditions in the 1830s). Theories which ascribe this development to African influence are beginning to be discarded by most ethnomusicologists as a result.

The blues and pentatonic scales are similar, but they aren't identical.

Furthermore, Wikipedia isn't alright to use as a source on a doctoral thesis, but this is a metal forum. Wikipedia is a fine source, and actually the majority of stuff put on there is true. It isn't as though whole web pages have been made up. So don't get so uptight about him citing Wikipedia. It's a fine place to look for information (however, it would be wise to verify such information elsewhere).