The Music of Southern Appalachia

Alot of it has verifaction references now and many important items in this case are. But aside from more detail's it didnt tell me anything I didnt already know or suspect. Its just to steep or bold a statement to make, ignoring far too many other factors.

The rest of the information is interesting

Im off to play some bagpipe funky blues.........

Bascom Lamar Lunsford

Known as "The Minstrel of the Appalachians," Bascom Lamar Lunsford was born at Mars Hill College (Madison County, North Carolina) and grew up in the Turkey Creek district of my own hometown, Leicester, NC (just west of Asheville). Lunsford was a man of many hats, singer, songwriter (notably of the country standard "Old Mountain Dew"), folklorist, traveling salesman and schoolteacher. As a collector and preserver of the folk traditions of the North Carolina mountains, he had no peer. He should probably be considered the greatest of the 'songcatchers' who kept the tradition of Appalachian balladry alive in the early 20th century. His contributions to the "Memory Project" (for which the recordings on this album were made in 1949, when Lunsford was 67) of the library of Congress represent the largest collection of material provided by any single American - over 300 songs. Lunsford played both fiddle and banjo (in the traditional mountain clawhammer style), but it is his untrained and unaffected baritone voice that was his most endearing trait.

Bascom Lamar Lunsford Banjo Tunes, Ballads and Sacred Songs of Western North Carolina

Why, thank you for posting them thar tunes. I know nothing about this stuff but I loved my copy of Moody Bluegrass that I bought this year, outstanding musicianship. Hearing that and reading the liner notes made me want to check up on more of the traditional side of it.