The New Cynic Album Traced in Air

Will probably hear it in a week or two, then I'll comment on it. I'm quite looking forward to it, although I have to say Focus - as groundbreaking as it was at the time - is not standing the test of time that well in my personal top-whatever list.

You can ( legally ) try to check this song if you havent:

Or you can em..

Pistol%20Pirate%20Bust.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The album....pissed out a while ago.... ordered the CD. Heard the piss out though - great album, it's Cynic to the max, however the processed vocals are felt in abundance, imo, sometimes tick me off. But overall a brilliant :kickass: album

I think this album will almost certainly clench album of the year from Opeth's Watershed and Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder God.

Quite frankly, I would not be surprised if this album made it into my all time top 10 or even 5.

Cynic rule, seeing them live this summer at Wacken was great, and I can't wait for seeing them again in November. I'm actually leaving the Opeth show after Cynic, god i hate Opeth at the moment.

I don't dislike Opeth as much as you but I agree, Traced in Air is just so far away from everything else is not funny. I hope this generation of metalheads learns to appreciate Cynic this time around.

Traced in Air is just so far away from everything else is not funny.

You ought to be treated for priapism.

I hope this generation of metalheads learns to appreciate Cynic this time around.

The last generation appreciates Cynic also, Focus has always been heralded, at least in the metal communities I interact with. Its a really good album, but not the be-all, end-all.

I don't dislike Opeth as much as you but I agree, Traced in Air is just so far away from everything else is not funny. I hope this generation of metalheads learns to appreciate Cynic this time around.

I like Opeth's music, the only issue is them as people, just the most arrogant band you could ever wish to see on stage.

Yeah - OMFG Traced In Air is coming out soon :OMG:

I like Opeth's music, the only issue is them as people, just the most arrogant band you could ever wish to see on stage.
Erh, I hope you're kidding? If you think that Mikael is seriously arrogant you need to have your head checked and look up the definition of irony and sarcasm in a dictionary. And even if you don't get his sense of humour, wtf gives you the right to call the whole band arrogant? They're super sweet guys, definitely in the same league as Stanne.

^ Well said, Mister.

EDIT: On topic, Cynic sound pretty cool actually. Technical and thoughtful, and the solos are lovely. Are there any other bands that have this sort of 'jazz-fusion' (if that's accurate) take on technical metal?

Are there any other bands that have this sort of 'jazz-fusion' (if that's accurate) take on technical metal?

Apokatastasia they are an instrumental-only band but I do believe they could be considered "jazz-fusion metal". Not as technical as Cynic, more on the progressive side, though.

Songs 2-3-4 and 5 from their myspace are excellent examples of the band's style.

Erh, I hope you're kidding? If you think that Mikael is seriously arrogant you need to have your head checked and look up the definition of irony and sarcasm in a dictionary. And even if you don't get his sense of humour, wtf gives you the right to call the whole band arrogant? They're super sweet guys, definitely in the same league as Stanne.

i know what irony and sarcasm are, and whatever trace of that there used to be in Akerfeldt's stage show, its gone now

he is so arrogant on stage now its not even a joke, and if it is, it's wearing thin to the point of becoming tiresome

they come across as arrogant in interviews, and i can call them what i like can't i? everyone is entitled to their own opinion after all :p

When is Traced In Air going to be released? According to Roadrunner Records, the release date has been pushed back a month.

The release date for "Traced in Air," the new album from reunited progressive metallers CYNIC originally slated for release on October 28th via SEASON OF MIST RECORDS in North America, has now been pushed back to November 25th, 2008. The album will be released a week earlier by Season of Mist in Europe on November 17th, 2008.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/artists/Cynic/

Most online stores still list the date as October 28.

I liked it, but I'm more of a fan of the new Ihsahn for metal album of the year and as for all genres, I'd go with the new REM