The new Trivium CD "The Crusade"

I managed to "obtain" this CD early and let me tell you...what an amazing CD. Their first single "Detonation" does the CD no justice. The first time I heard that song though I thought it sounded really forced and just...wierd...but hearing it in context with the rest of the CD it fits really well and doesn't come off as forced. My ONLY beef with the CD is how he sometimes sounds like James Hetfield, but it doesn't sound too much like him all the time.

Most of the songs just have a really old school sound to them with some modern day stuff going on. I think any straight up thrash metal fan will love this CD. There is definately some technical stuff going on with some really cool singy choruses which I dig. The last track "the crusade" is an awesome instrumental.

The songs are definately really refreshing from the typical scream all the time songs that we've been saturated with lately. The songs aren't all breakdowns, everything isn't turned on 11, and the mix isn't so slammed to a point where the CD just gets really tired fast. I have definatelly loved listening to this CD and haven't felt tired of listening to it one bit. They also seem to keep a lot of the songs in standard tuning as well which is refreshing from the really low down tuned guitars in metal.

There is a ton of growth on this CD so props to them! Definately check it out and I think you'll be pleased with it! It definately inspired me thats for sure!

Cool....glad to hear that someone likes it. Despite all the shit those guys get, I really liked Ascendancy but saw the video the other night for the new single and was horrified. (No mention of boats, rudders, german sodomy or stomping the ukraine! :headbang:)

But...I thought the new single sounded like really cheesy 80s metal (e.g. Accept, Krokus, Running Wild) with one cliche leading to another. The video with a metal band at a psuedo pool party playing on some sort of pontoon with flames shooting everywhere didn't help matters. I think they must felt sorry for Buck Cherry's video director and gave him a gig.

Very glad to hear that the album isn't reflective of the single.

I listened to it and thought the singles were completely representative of the album. Trivium is getting pushed by Roadrunner like they're the next metal giant, when they're really just the next Avenged Sevenfold.

i don't think trivium is being forced to sound the way they do by their label. But i do think they they are trying to prove that they can be "Hard" or more metal now, becuase ascendancy had alot of melodic vocals. At the same time i think they're trying to reach out to every fan of metal with they new style. I think they are some talented guys, but they're hurting their reputation by drastically changing their style or sound.

ok....listening to it in it's entirety now...hmmmm.....some of it is cringeworthy, some is cool. It's a massive stylistic change from the last album. It's very melodic and definitely aimed at mainstream metal punters (some will scream "sell out"...whatever). Heafy's well and truly upped the Hetfield "yea-eah!!!" ratio on this one. I'd not be surprised if he grows a mullet + beard combo for the tour.

OK. I hate "Anthem".....that's the one with the cheezy video. It still sounds like Y&T or Accept to me. I thought having an entire bridge section of nothing but "wooahhhs" and "yeeeaahhhs" was the exclusive domain of Kiss, Germans and non-english-as-a-first-language metal bands as they'd exhausted all the english words they knew in the chorus. They should have got Klaus from the Scorpions in to sing backup on that one.

Overall, the music sounds cool, but the lyrics are nothing short of fucking dire. It's to the point that I probably can't listen to half of the album again.

KeithRT99 said:
I think they are some talented guys, but they're hurting their reputation by drastically changing their style or sound.
I think their main hurting issues have more to do with their big big ego...it's them who think trivium is the new metal god, not roadrunner

Sweetnothing said:
I think their main hurting issues have more to do with their big big ego...it's them who think trivium is the new metal god, not roadrunner

The problem is... Corey and Travis seemed like relatively nice kids... they're fronted by a total douche, however.