The new Voivod is awful.

FalseTodd

Skirt Wizard
Jul 31, 2002
Boston nee San Diego
www.kayodot.net
I mean, just listen to it:
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/535/voivod.html

Some friends of mine came up with a theory that Jason Newstead was a government agent sent in to annihilate Metallica, who had gotten "too good". We abandoned the theory after awhile in favor of "Kirk Hammett getting a wah pedal and using it on every solo" as the actual downfall. In actuality, I think Bob Rock is to blame. He'll get his.

But having listened to the new Voivod, maybe it was Newstead after all.

this sucks very badly.

and it saddens me.

kinda sounds like that punky side project Dave Mustaine did with Lee Ving, MD45.....only not nearly as interesting.

I think what killed Metallica was Cliff Burton's death. If he had lived, and stayed with Metallica, in all likelihood things would be a lot different for them right now. Whether for better or worse I'm not sure.

Could have been Jason Newsted who did it, but then again, Urlich and Hetfield ARE pretty much arseholes...not sure about Hammett, but he probably is too. ;)

I like the new Voivod, so fuck off y'all. I like 'Angel Rat' too. Newsted's a good guy IMO. Burton's death was most likely the beginning of the end.

when cliff died it was all downhill. but seriously, lars is the biggest dorkiest whiniest pansy ass ever and he's not helping.

Do you think people are in denial that the new Voivod sucks? Maybe they are just jumping the bandwagon since they either didn't pay attention to Voivod when they were at their peak (Killing-Hatross-Nothing) or were emosperm back then..

emosperm is amazing. Those three albums may be the peak, but there ain't nuthin' wrong with Phobos. I haven't heard Angel Rat. I'll have to check it out. The new stuff is the most boring shit ever. Take away the guitar tone and the occasional nasty chord and you've got standard heavy rock stuff. Such a bummer.

Oh, and Metallica: The Jason Newstead as gov't agent is funny and all, but it was fucking Bob Rock that ruined them. ...Justice is great, the s/t one is the quick slope to oblivion.

Josh I don't want to fucking hear it, alright?

sam022.JPG

JASON NEWSTED: 'METALLICA Are A Joke!' - Feb. 12, 2003

Ex-METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted has slammed his former bandmates over their decision to tour this summer with LINKIN PARK and LIMP BIZKIT, calling the move "an obvious cash thing" and claiming that the group are "not staying true to their words."

"It's a joke, I think METALLICA are just a joke," Newsted told Britain's Rock Sound <http://www.rock-sound.net/voivod110203.html> magazine in reference to the Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003, which kicks off on July 4. "I don't think they have any idea. I am fan of METALLICA again, I did my thing in there and felt good and I'm proud of that shit and I am more proud than sour. But that's the integrity down the fucking tube! Why can't they take out STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, why can't they take out IN FLAMES? What they are doing now is such an obvious cash thing and has nothing to do with the music that we're supposed to be fighting for.

"Kirk got quoted about their new record sounding like ENTOMBED. How can it sound like ENTOMBED, how? Who is playing bass to make it sound like ENTOMBED? James is a good bass player, but c'mon, dude! Lars — he hasn't practiced enough drums over the years — he let his art fall away from him, he doesn't have the same finesse as he used to have, so how is it going to sound like ENTOMBED and have that energy? And anyway ! if they are speaking like that how come they are not talking ENTOMBED out on tour? Or MESHUGGAH — how came they are not staying true to their words? That's what really bothers me."

Newsted's new band, VOIVOD, start their U.S. tour on April 10 and are set to visit Europe in June — but don't expect to see METALLICA and VOIVOD on the same bill.

"There is political shit going on, they are really against us being on the same bills," Newsted explained. "Wherever METALLICA is, you won't be seeing VOIVOD."

I like that song just fine except for Snake singing unaccompanied at the end. It seems to be solidly in the style of Angel Rat or the more rockish songs of Outer Limits both of which I hold in MUCH higher regard than Phobos or any other Eric album.

im listening to the whole promo cd.. its on dc++
anyway, its pretty damn bad. very simple and un-innovative. literally, there is nothing going on in the 5-6 songs ive heard so far. perhaps its too much to expect another dimension hatross...

Oh, and the lyrics are shit too...