The next NADicus Wackicus theory: metal in its purist form.

Thrash bears much more resemblance to punk than Sabbath, so I'd say no to thrash being purely metal.

This is the perfect thread to discuss the Kyuss bootleg I watched last night.

So I watched this Kyuss bootleg last night right, and I'd have to say they had to have been one of the tightest live acts in history. Josh Homme and his lead/rhythm riffing style that somehow doesn't require a second guitarist, John Garcia with a rasp that could tear the paint off the walls and the pants of 18 year old virgin females, Alfredo Hernandez who is absolutely rock solid, and then SCOTT FUCKING REEDER who I have a whole new respect for. I mean yeah I always knew he was really good, but he just totally ripped apart all his basslines in a live environment, thrashing around like mad the entire time. A-fucking-mazing.

I even said "I can't believe I've been ripping off this dude for years and I just started listening to Kyuss last summer." Seriously WEIIEISIEIRIIRISD

Dude, you would so let John Garcia fuck you up the ass whilst you lick Josh Homme's manmeat, wouldn't you? :loco:

is there a definitve Kyuss site ... with some pics and downloads? I cannot find one

Back to the original question: It's definitely closer to the essence of metal, whatever that may be, than anyone who uses the term "true metal" without any irony. Same thing with doom even though it rejects the hedonistic aspects of the genre (which is all for the best). It is metal stripped down to its basic elements, and at its best remains fresh and offers more than a simple headbang.