THE OBSESSED: 'Sacred' Album Details Revealed; 'Razor Wire' Song Streaming

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Maryland doom legends THE OBSESSED will release their first studio album in over twenty years, "Sacred", on April 7 via Relapse Records. The song "Razor Wire", taken from "Sacred", can be streamed below. Comments THE OBSESSED guitarist/vocalist Scott "Wino" Weinrich: "I can honestly say I think this is the best-sounding recording of my career, and I am excited to release it on Relapse. "This song 'Razor Wire', I have been carrying around the title concept and main riff in my pocket for a couple years. The full song was born after applying real life experiences, with a little wishful thinking! Fuck control." "Sacred" will be made available on CD, LP, deluxe double LP, and digital formats. Physical preorders and bundles are available via Relapse.com here and digital downloads can be preordered by Bandcamp at this location. The deluxe 2xLP bundle includes an enamel logo pin, signed art print, and two bonus tracks. "Sacred" track listing: 01. Sodden Jackal 02. Punk Crusher 03. Sacred 04. Haywire 05. Perseverance Of Futility 06. It's Only Money 07. Cold Blood 08. Stranger Things 09. Razor Wire 10. My Daughter My Son 11. Be The Night 12. Interlude 13. On So Long (bonus) 14. Crossroader Blues (bonus) Weinrich, who has also played with SAINT VITUS, SPIRIT CARAVAN, THE HIDDEN HAND and SHRINEBUILDER, was joined in THE OBSESSED's most recent touring lineup by Bruce Falkinburg on bass and vocals, Brian Constantino on drums and Sara "Seraphim" Claudius (ex-ARMAGEDDON) on guitar. Weinrich announced THE OBSESSED's return in March 2016 on social media, explaining in a statement: "All over the world I've listened to friends tell me, 'We want you to bring back THE OBSESSED,' so I have decided to resurrect THE OBSESSED." He added that he was "waiting for the right combination of ability, attitude and personality to accomplish this goal." Forged in 1976 in Maryland, THE OBSESSED weathered various lineup shifts and an on-again-off-again status over the course of a winding, forty-year history. The band released three now-legendary full-lengths — 1990's "The Obsessed", 1991's "Lunar Womb" and 1994's "The Church Within" — as well as a gaggle of seven-inch singles and compilation appearances. "The Church Within" was Wino's most critically hailed album. Despite being co-released by Hellhound Records and the major label Columbia Records, the music-buying masses were not ready to embrace doom in 1994 and instead fixated on buying records by rehashed pop-punk bands. Several factors led to "The Church Within" becoming THE OBSESSED's last full-length album. Despite not becoming a top-seller, the album remains hugely influential.
theobsessedsacredcd.jpg

Continue reading...