The Official Jethro Tull Thread

MFJ

Jan 20, 2004
Behind the mist.
So I've always been a fan of Jethro Tull, but I've recently come to realize the true gravity of Ian Anderson's songwriting. They put out an album every year from 1968 to 1980 and they're all excellent. The peak comes in 1977-78 with "Songs From the Wood", followed by the masterpiece "Heavy Horses". A lot of people like to joke about the theatrical and flamboyant aspects of the music. I think its one of the earliest and most successful combinations of folk and hard rock. Some of these riffs are just plain heavy. Ian Anderson never played with the same group of musicians for more than a few years, but all of them were outstanding. The guy is a fucking genius. Don't take my word for it, check out this brilliant performance from 1977:

You will see/hear the following:

25:10 - "Songs From the Wood"
Lighthearted medieval harmonies leading into some pretty heavy progressive rock. Outstanding lead guitar parts all throughout the song.

37:00 - "To Cry You a Song"
Another heavy one from the early 70's which summons some of the English psychedelic hard rock which was popular at the time. This is a great example of some insane flute playing and the range of Anderson's vocal style. He sounds less theatrical and folky, with more of a gritty blues thing going on. This song segues into...

39:33 - "A New Day Yesterday"
Check out some virtuoso flute playing at around 43:30

55:22
An insane performance by the entire band. Witness Ian Anderson play some incredibly tricky guitar parts while singing perfectly. He was a rare talent. Also Martin Barre (their guitarist) killing it on the xylophone.

Exhilarating.

The peak comes in 1977-78 with "Songs From the Wood", followed by the masterpiece "Heavy Horses".

While Jethro Tull is one of my GOATS, I completely disagree with this. Although fantastic in it's own right, it pales in comparison to Aqualung and Thick As a Brick (one of the greatest albums of all-time) which, respectively, came out in '71 & '72.

Unspoken hero would be 1969's Stand Up with it's blues rock emphasis. Benefit, A Passion Play, and Minstrel In The Gallery are all fantastic in their own right as well.

Simply put, Jethro Tull is the motherfuckin' TITS.

Exhilarating.

Indeed.

I remember wearing out a mix tape that I made from my father's Jethro Tull albums when I was a wee lad. To this day, "Skating Away" still randomly pops in my head from time to time.

Last edited:
Reactions: zerostatic and MFJ
That version of A New Day Yesterday is fuckin' filthy. :headbang:

Totally outstanding man, that whole show was bonkers. While I have a soft spot for the late 70’s material, who would deny the brilliance of the earlier albums? These guys were on fire for like 12 years straight. Anderson was a golden god back then... unfortunately this performance was one of the highlights before his voice started to give out after “Stormwatch” and “A”

I feel bad for saying in my original post that the band changed every few years. There were some key longtime members even during pretty regular lineup changes. Barre is one of the most under-appreciated guitarists ever!

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Aqualung is in my Top 25 fo sho, that album is unreal. Also a big fan of Songs From the Wood.

I don't know nearly as much Jethro Tull as I should, just random albums across various lineups.

Reactions: MFJ
Grew up listening to Aqualung and Thick as a Brick because my parents had those albums on vinyl and then CD.

I enjoyed his release from a few years back, The String Quartets.

Reactions: Krilons Resa