The Ozzy effect

vocal sent into 2 busses. one bus shifted up 10 cents ish. the other bus shifted down 10 cents ish. you can also deley the busses a little.

bring both busses up behind the main vocal until you get the desired effect.

this has a name. not sure what it is.. :/

vocal sent into 2 busses. one bus shifted up 10 cents ish. the other bus shifted down 10 cents ish. you can also deley the busses a little.

bring both busses up behind the main vocal until you get the desired effect.

this has a name. not sure what it is.. :/

Its a copy of a vocal effect preset in an old Eventide unit. Process the vocal as normal, but have 2 sends in the same way you would a reverb. It does kinda give a chorus effect. If you do try a delay, only a few milliseconds.

if you have Reaper there's a JS plug by Stillwell called 'Ozzifier'. does a decent job. if don't have Reaper, i think this plug may be a part of the free Reaper downloads.

From Mr Wagener himself:

On what is left of my stuff on Ozzmosis and various reissues I used a late 70s Neumann U87, a John Hardy M1 mic pre and a Summit Tube compressor. Reverb was the 480L on a large hall setting.

Ozzy doubles each line he sings right away, he sings it until we like it, then doubles it once, that is his sound, no chorus or effects used (I only use hardware plug-ins at WireWorld )

For "Live And Loud" I used 6 different harmonizer channels (2x 910, 2x AMS, 2x 949) on his vocals to get close to his sound, but I feel it never really got there.

i once read an interview with one of his AE's or producers (could have been Max Norman) in which he said, this doubling is what makes it "Ozzy". it's his trademark from the beginning and very few people can do it so good as he does.

listen to T. Rex.

i remember being a T. Rex fan when i was 6 (posters and everything) but i never would have expected this stuff to sound sooo good, from today's producer perspective.
cool surprise.

From Ozzy to R. Kelly people are pushing +6 cents hard right and -6 cents left off of an aux send That makes the Vox "Pop" if you will. I ran that and it sounded just like the chorus that I'd been using. One of my interns Has two of those first issue Eventide Harmonizers, he loves them, and only uses them for that reason. And of course a John Hardy M-1 Preamp will always be great for any recording.