The Philosophy of Warrel Dane

derek

Grey Eminence
Sep 30, 2005
Edinburgh, U.K.
I'm assuming some of you folks have already seen this, but for those Nevermore fans who haven't it more than worth having a read of. Not only is it an interesting avenue of thought, but it adds an extra dimension to listening to the band.

http://basementbar.com/DefaultN1.asp?GoTo=EditorialN1.asp

NOTE: Can't get this link to work properly so go to the site and go to the editorals section, its listed there (sorry!)

Apologies if this thread has been done before, but I reckon its worth it.

Post some thoughts after you've read it.

Go to that page and just scroll down, you'll find a list of previous editorials at the end. It's called The Philosophy of Warrel Dane and theres a link right to it.

hope that helps,

derek

Yeah, that just takes you to the main page again, can't seem to get that link working - its a strange one. Its easy enough to find with the small explanation above anyways.

Abso-fucking-lutley!

That article is pretty interesting. I liked the discussion of the conflicts in Warrels philosophy, but I don't see them as conflicts whatsoever. Half the reason why he can comment so perspiciously on things is because he refuses to let go of this world, not because he is stuck in it. Perhaps there is an optimist in him somewhere that refuses to entirely write this world off.

In going to metal shows, i've met intelligent, witty, genuine people with wide interests, vast ability to comment on the world with remarkable ability (i've also met some complete cunts) and with audience Nevermore have, considering what they are about, I'm sure Warrel meets these people everyday and perhaps doesn't want to let go.

I'll stop the pussy talk now, ha!

hope you folks liked the editorial and will post some more comments on it and what i've said,

cheers,

derek

The article is pretty interesting. I liked the discussion of the conflicts in Warrels philosophy, but I don't see them as conflicts whatsoever. Half the reason why he can comment so perspiciously on things is because he refuses to let go of this world, not because he is stuck in it. Perhaps there is an optimist in him somewhere that refuses to entirely write this world off.

In going to metal shows, i've met intelligent, witty, genuine people with wide interests, vast ability to comment on the world with remarkable ability (i've also met some complete cunts) and with the audience Nevermore have, considering what they are all about, I'm sure Warrel meets these people everyday and perhaps doesn't want to let go.

I'll stop the pussy talk now, ha!

hope you folks liked the editorial and will post some more comments on it and what i've said,

cheers,

derek

What the fuck? Can someone sum up the argument presented in that piece for me? I seem to be missing the point.

there is no argument, its a article concerning the the standpoints expressed through his lyrics. Your supposed to read it then say what you think. It's not a philosophical discussion of warrels views,its just supposed to help you realise what they are.

Iridium said:
What the fuck? Can someone sum up the argument presented in that piece for me? I seem to be missing the point.
Well, if you want me to sum up Warrel's views the best way to describe it would be to say that he's into almost a Buddhist sense of mysticism, and the expansion of one's consciousness through drug use. In a nutshell. I think the attack people make on Warrel is often the same attack made against most religious sects... and almost rightfully so. I think most religions have built into them a higher valuation of spirituality and "the other world" than the world in which we live. The end result of this, of course, is a complete deprivation of the self and your current existence, which, in the end, does no good for anyone. I think this sort of thing is built into most religions because the doctrines were written by people who had dedicated their lives to spirituality and, like most people, tend to think of their plight as "better" than the plights of others. The end result is they create a philosophy for themselves (like most people) but try to make it as universally applicable as possible... But their own biases to their own lives comes through, time and time again. I guess this is my biggest problem with all religions I have encounter... a higher valuation of what we do not know over what we do. This is certainly a proper value system to have if you wish to dedicate your life to such pursuits, but to claim that such a stance is morally 'better' than being involved with the world and caring about THIS existence is totall bullshit.

Entirely, but I still think it's an interesting area to think about. As i said though, Warrel clearly likes to express these views, but he's still rooted somewhere in this world, as he writes music for people whom live in it.

I don't think there is any moral superiority in this stance at all, but I totally agree with your general objection to the common acceptance of such an idea by many of its followers.

However, maybe thats being a tad cynical. So i'd put it to you, that issues of moral superiority are extrinsic to actually exploring and attempting to understand a deeper spirtual level. I'm not saying that we should forget this existence to attempt to find a greater one, rather that exploration of a "deeper" level, so to speak, could help us understand this one more and how to deal with it.

I reckon your right regarding the our passive ability to assume that the unknown is better (the grass is always greener...etc) But at the same time we don't know its worse either. I find it a strange concept to explore within a religious context, and as you have pointed out - pretty flawed.

The main reason i posted the link was because i think its an interesting area to explore, not because i'm a fan boy who agrees with warrel purely because of who he is and my status of a fan of the band.

I'm interested though, whats your thoughts on the exploration of the so called deeper level through recreational drugs? For example T. Leary or A. Huxley being the examples that spring to mind.

cheers,

derek

ah....no. To some it is bullshit, but to others it makes alot of sense. And it's not really his philosophy, its just the philosophical views he expresses in his lyrics.

Plus...his tuning rocks...apart form parts of EOR.