The Plight of the Apartment Dwelling Musician....

gemini8026

always a n00b
Aug 15, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
www.jeffwizniak.com
Hey all.

Im looking for some advice/opinions.

First things first. Im looking at buying my FIRST condo/real estate investment. Im tireed of renting and Ive had a quality job for the last two years that will let me afford a DECENT place.

Unfortunately, I am a single guy, and a house in my city is quite expensive, not within my budget. Anything that is in my bidget is in the hood. Im looking to spend under 200,000$ (Saskatoon, Sk, Canada)

Anyhow, in that range, Ive seen a lot of apartment style condo's. Ones that are far from ideal for any type of music recording.

But I am also a "home studio" recorder. Im not sure who all has heard my stuff but I feel I have a decent grasp for some decent recording, and with my job and other hobbies, I record everythign by myself at my own pace. Thats the way I like it.

Anyhow, for the most part, im looking around 1000sq ft. I would prefer a lower level floor so that I do not have people beneath me.

I can dampen my electronic drum kit, I can play my bass and acoutics through VST's and headphones, but theres one thing that is the variable.

VOCALS

Now, anyone who has lived in an apt, has anyone managed to build a cool little vocal booth, or come up with a good solution?!? I considered using one closet and sound proofing it as best I can, but in some of the wood built places, Im still not sure if the sound would travel up through the ceiling or not. I sing loud, lots of yelling/Bruce Dickinson style singing.

Anyone have a good makeshift solution?!?!

Here's the other thought. I sell my current laptop, buy a newer one with firewire and get a cheap firewire solution and record in my car. Yah, it sounds kinda silly, but a decent midrange laptop powered off an inverter in the car might work pretty good?!? Anyone ever try that?!?

Ive always been lucky in terms of having a quiet basement to record in, but Im also needing to get my own place and make it happen.

Just curious what my options are, and what YOU would do?!? (that doesnt involve buying a 3,000$ vocal booth)

I just record vocals in my room. I've only ever had one complaint, someone called the cops at around 10pm (noise violations don't start until 11pm) and they just told me to keep it down after 11.

I'm moving to Vancouver in June and most likely will be without a studio. Right now I'm in an apartment building and for acoustic guitar and vocals I've had no complaints. I did an electronic drum kit here before but wouldn't be doing that all the time.
My plan after moving is to set up shop in a rehearsal space on a monthly lockout, but I haven't looked into prices yet.

My vocal booth is a couple of broadband acoustic panels on the wall and held up with mic stands in addition to some freestanding cubicle partitions.

With the apartment building it's painted concrete walls and you get mad flutter echo. Heavy blankets and broadband acoustic panels make a huge improvement.

We would demo our vocals in my apartment with no problems. It's all about being considerate to the other people in your building. We'd always stop around 7pm or so. I guess it also helps alot that my singer has a really great singing voice. We just ran some headphones and a mic stand out into my living room and worked pretty good. Like I said, was just for demoing ideas and stuff and I don't know how well any of that would have gone over if he was like mr. evil black metal death metal singer

AGZ.....

Vancouver, BEAUTIFUL city, but man oh man is it expensive to live there!!!!

The problem with my area is that the MAJORITY of buildings are not concrete. Thats a big factor in sound deadening. Im not sure I'd want to belt without a LITTLE bit of treatment. Ie carpets or something.

Id really like to do a makeshift vocal booth of sorts. Im almost considering a fridge cardboard box, covered in some sort of foam/carpets.
That might be enough to take out the heavier DB's, as well as cut down on ambiant noise.