Bedroom Apartment Acoustics

cloy26

d00d
Jul 17, 2009
Port St. Lucie, FL
www.myspace.com
I am at college but I really want to invest in room treatment. My dad is a contractor so there is no problem building good traps. However, I don't now if this is the best way to go about it. I drew a diagram for you guys hoping you could see if it is in the right direction. The bed is purple and the desk is going to be centered. My question is really with the window and the little hallway (3'x3'). The bass traps are the thick green and the 2" pads are the thinner green. Yes no?

edit: window is in light blue.

154920_1749709585690_1327376877_1965944_1456947_n.jpg

156920_1750322761019_1327376877_1966949_6568042_n.jpg

Fuck, your apartment room is way bigger than mine! :lol:

Definitely also think about putting bass traps in the corners where the walls meet the ceiling, and maybe even a cloud. Not sure the trapping back near the door will help a ton.

No way to mount 2" panels to the closet doors?

If you can afford it, build super-chunk basstraps for the corners.
Clouds (above your listening position) are very effective if thick enough (4 inches and more).

How about one or two portable "gobos" for the window? You can always move them and use them for better vocal-recordings etc.
My acoustician recommended Isover Topdec DP3 for the movable absorbers (5.5" thick) and clouds.
They sell in packages (3 or 4 of those panels) and they're so big you can use 1 panel for 1 portable absorber. Would be around $25/package I guess.
But afaik you should use isover tp1, rockwool sonorock or some noname glass/rockwool for the basstraps, but not the DP3.

If you can afford it, build super-chunk basstraps for the corners.
Clouds (above your listening position) are very effective if thick enough (4 inches and more).

How about one or two portable "gobos" for the window? You can always move them and use them for better vocal-recordings etc.
My acoustician recommended Isover Topdec DP3 for the movable absorbers (5.5" thick) and clouds.
They sell in packages (3 or 4 of those panels) and they're so big you can use 1 panel for 1 portable absorber. Would be around $25/package I guess.
But afaik you should use isover tp1, rockwool sonorock or some noname glass/rockwool for the basstraps, but not the DP3.

I can't find the dp3 stuff anywhere on google. I'm assuming it's only available across the pond.

I can't find the dp3 stuff anywhere on google. I'm assuming it's only available across the pond.
Strange. Well I guess some other kind of glas/rockwool will also do ;)
It just seems to be good to use different densitys and materials..
I can't even find a similiar product in the US store.. wtf
It's this stuff:
http://www.isover.de/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-125/123_read-132/
http://www.bausep.de/Keller/Kellerd...ndaemmung-Topdec-DP-3-WLG035-Daemmplatte.html
(You can have a look at the pictures and size)
Basically it's nice because of the size and one side is already plastered in white so you can easily build a frame and your cloud is finished ;)

My inclination would be to put the desk in front of the closet and fire downwards from there. The bed could go next to the window.

The thing about how you have the room laid out now is that you've got the window on one side and closet on the other. That means you'll have some discrepancies with reflected frequencies from left to right.

Obviously though you lose a functioning closet this way (unless you have sliding doors in it, and can somehow squeeze in behind the desk).

Yeah that's it, with the window you only need to worry about mid-high frequencies. So even a 2 or 4" gobo should do the job for you. Then cover your first reflection points, and then stack the corners with as much insulation as you can get your hands on.

In my room I have the 180 opposite of what I'm suggesting for you. So the desk is in front of the window, and the closet is behind me. The important thing being the side walls are equidistant and I'm firing down the longer length of the room.

damn. Thank you so much for your input.

703 is pretty expensive for me. I have been looking at some substitutes for it and found that as long as it's rigid fiberglass (or mineral wool) and has a density of 3lb/pcf it should be ok, right?

I might use duct board...