Another Room Treatment Thread - Angled Ceilings

HCL

Holy Crap! Lions!
Jul 13, 2010
Plymouth, UK
Sorry to do another one of these, I thought there might be one or two other people who have similar unusual rooms that might benefit from any information gained. I've read a fair bit about room treatment but I'll admit some of it is pure Greek to me so I do appreciate that there are really great places out there to find this info, I could just do with some practical advice at the moment.

I basically have a moderate to small sized room with an unusual shape to it and I'm building a desk, monitor stands and DIY'ing some room treatment for it this week. It's a top floor/attic room with an angled roof, the walls have been knocked through to get additional space and you'll be able to see where this starts in the mockup I've done. These aren't exactly to scale, the room is a little larger than this.

studio.png

jkioj.png

adams%20room2.png

At the moment I've had my desk sitting here:

studio%203.png

I previously had the desk parallel to the wall right of the door but it seemed like there were severe nulls in the lower frequencies there. What seems like the best place to put my desk? What would you do for room treatment and where? Thanks for putting up with another one of these. :lol:

I too have angled walls! BASSically all the BASS frequencies like to hide there... Your desk is in the right spot I think. You just need some treatment.

Agreed. Your proposed position is the one I'd go with in that room. It would feel funny considering that alcove(?) is not exactly on the center, but I'd setup the desk and everything right in the middle of that long wall, so you'd have an even L - R symmetry.

Absorption in the corners (you got plenty of those!) a nice big cloud on top of the mix position (minimum 4", as big and deep as you can!) and I'd leave the floor hard and spot treat the ceiling if you hear any extra ringing between floor and ceiling. You might need some panels (2-4" deep) behind your speakers as you'll probably need to get as close to the front wall as possible and that would help with the front wall bounce (note: there's some dispute about this even amongst the experts it seems! :D ).

Remember: the deeper the trap, the fluffier the wool can (must?) be, and vice-versa.

That back wall window would probably help with letting bass escape - a good thing. If you get some nasty HF bounce from the window itself, covering it with a heavy curtain would probably deal with it.

Agreed. Your proposed position is the one I'd go with in that room. It would feel funny considering that alcove(?) is not exactly on the center, but I'd setup the desk and everything right in the middle of that long wall, so you'd have an even L - R symmetry.

Absorption in the corners (you got plenty of those!) a nice big cloud on top of the mix position (minimum 4", as big and deep as you can!) and I'd leave the floor hard and spot treat the ceiling if you hear any extra ringing between floor and ceiling. You might need some panels (2-4" deep) behind your speakers as you'll probably need to get as close to the front wall as possible and that would help with the front wall bounce (note: there's some dispute about this even amongst the experts it seems! :D ).

Remember: the deeper the trap, the fluffier the wool can (must?) be, and vice-versa.

That back wall window would probably help with letting bass escape - a good thing. If you get some nasty HF bounce from the window itself, covering it with a heavy curtain would probably deal with it.

Thanks man! I forgot to mention that when we knocked the walls through, we rebuilt everything with insulation in all the walls to try and minimise leakage (top floor in a residential area). I've heard this can have an adverse effect - I'm guessing the denser the walls, the more gets reflected back into the room?

Builing all the panels and traps is going to be fun. :D