(Ghetto) Room treatment advice

xTomx

Oct 29, 2009
Milton Keynes
I'm recording drums tomorrow in a fairly large room at my parents place -- about 4 x 5 metres, rectangular shape with a wooden floor and regular painted walls.

To avoid standing waves, horrible reflections etc what would you recommend in the way of ghetto temporary treatment -- bearing in mind I'm only using the room for a few days and can't do any nailing etc.:(

At the moment all I can think of is to move furniture at non-parallel angles and hang some duvets over walls and stacked furniture to try and kill some of the reflections. I'll place the drumkit tomorrow when I can actually hear where's best, but do you guys have any advice?:)

solid foam mattresses may do some good, it won't be as dense as studio foam but will do some good. A typical mattress is mostly springs inside so it won't absorb sound all that well.

before I knew anything about recording my band used mattresses around the drums. Seemed like a good idea. Couldn't tell you the result because that weekend caused the band to break up.

step 1: get some IKEA Kilby shelves (dirt cheap)
step 2: fill in some rockwool and cover with fabric
step 3: profit

You can move them easily and use them for future recordings... They look nice too

Duvets over stacked chairs actually worked pretty well. That IKEA idea is pretty interesting too, might give it a try, thanks guys!