The pre-party karaoke poll

For our karaoke night on Wednesday, if the cover charge was NOT increased....

• Let's use a different karaoke deejay who lets people use their own CDs as well as theirs

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Let's use last year's guy. Limited metal selection, but he WAS pretty cool....

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Doesn't matter; I'm mostly coming to hang out and drink with everyone...

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Karaoke? What's karaoke? I'm going to the Cheetah with Rifkin!

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pellaz

Tigron of Immanion
Feb 12, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.paulcashman.com
The karaoke guy we had for the pre-pre-party last year was really cool....but his selection of metal was lackluster and he wouldn't let people sing along to CDs that they brought themselves.

We can also obtain the services of a different karaoke company that would allow singers to sing along to CDs that they bring. You'd have the option of screening out the original vocals...or not. They also have a large selection of karaoke CDs and the usual lyrics TV displays, etc.

Still, the guy we had last year was pretty cool...

Hence, this poll.....

I have yet to attend the infamous Karaoke Night, but am hoping to make this year my first. With this said, I think it would be cool if people could bring their own stuff to sing to. I'd hate to be limited to the same old karaoke songs if it's possible to bring more to the table. I'm sure it will be a blast either way. :headbang:

I kinda liked the DJ's pyramid of beer cans he had going......

Depends on how much this increases the cost. Didn't I read another thread last year where the cost of the another DJ was fairly high? Or was that a dream....

I wish I could be there, but I'll be in VA watching Sonata. :D Hopefully, I can make it next year, 'cause I've wanted to be there for Karaoke Night the last few years, but couldn't swing it. If I was going, though, I vote to be able to bring CDs. It gives folks a better selection, even if it does cost a few dollars more.

Unfortunately, I can't participate in the karaoke party. I REALLY wish I could. On the night of the karaoke party I'll be leading a career group as part of my group work practicum, and as a result, I'm not allowed to skip that unless, y'know, someone I know dies. :(

BUT, If you guys choose to find someone that lets people use their own CDs, if he's good maybe I'll get to come to the karaoke party next year and experience that awesomeness. So I say, look for a new guy and hope that works out awesomely. :)

I say Karaoke THEN Cheetah's. :D Personally, I hope we can get a Deej that will allow us to bring our own discs... that way I could do some of the new Persephone's Dream stuff. And I'm really looking forward to finally making it out there for karaoke this year.

Blast! At the last minute I completely forgot to add a "Have fun, wish I could make it" option....and I'd been planning to include one. Damn, damn, damn.

Kellsco, the poll mentioned "if the cover charge was NOT increased".... It was $5 last year and should remain the same this year, regardless of which deejay/company is selected.

Dominick, it's the Wednesday before PPUSA. Formerly called the pre-pre-party, now I guess it's......the pre-party? Pre-showcase-party? :D

Pellaz, how about simply contacting last year's guy with a little advanced notice and see if he would consider expanding his metal selections?

It wasn't so much his lack of karaoke metal selections. There simply aren't many karaoke versions of most of 'our' power- and progmetal bands, just the 'big names' like Iron Maiden, Priest, etc., and any karaoke company would have those.
What disappointed many people last year was that the deejay wouldn't let people sing along to CDs they brought themselves. I thought that was kinda weird myself, since the karaoke night I sometimes go to* does allow people to use their own CDs, with the ability to mask the original vocals or not at all, as the singer wanted.

If last year's deejay could do this, then I'd say fine, but I think it boils down to a lack of equipment/hookups/etc.

-=-=-=-
* only as a spectator, whew!

If last year's deejay could do this, then I'd say fine, but I think it boils down to a lack of equipment/hookups/etc.

My vote would be to check with him first to see if he is willing to make the necessary changes to accommodate folks bringing their own CDs. (After all, he WAS cool.) If that doesn’t work, I vote for #1.

DI thought that was kinda weird myself, since the karaoke night I sometimes go to* does allow people to use their own CDs, with the ability to mask the original vocals or not at all, as the singer wanted.

Just curious at how masking the vocals is possible while just using a regular CD? Should just be a stereo track on a cd, i can't imagine how they mask the vocals and nothing else :confused:

I should also note, It's pretty easy to create your own Karaoke discs. We've made a few of our own for our local Hooters karaoke night.

You can't make the tracks with subtitles without a special kind of burner, but it's possible to make the audio track with the vocals muted. I'll have to get Michael (Gunstar 9) to chime in on this one, he's the one who made the discs.

And yes, singing a duet version of "Beyond the Black Hole" in front of drunk rednecks is awesome. :kickass:

I say Karaoke THEN Cheetah's. :D Personally, I hope we can get a Deej that will allow us to bring our own discs... that way I could do some of the new Persephone's Dream stuff. And I'm really looking forward to finally making it out there for karaoke this year.

Right behind you :lol: Great game plan...don't expect me to sing though. I'll only participate if there's a guitar Karoke version :headbang:

I wish I could be there, but I'll be in VA watching Sonata. :D Hopefully, I can make it next year, 'cause I've wanted to be there for Karaoke Night the last few years, but couldn't swing it. If I was going, though, I vote to be able to bring CDs. It gives folks a better selection, even if it does cost a few dollars more.

I'll be at Jaxx too. I'd rather see SA & Firewind than go to a Karaoke party.

Heck, if I wanted to see karaoke, I'd watch American Idle! :puke: