The production on Lenny Kravitz albums

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I don't know if I have ever mentioned this, but I like Lenny Kravitz like A LOT. I first got into him around 1998 when I saw the weird music video for "If you can't say no" from MTV. Then I read about him from a magazine and I was amazed by the fact that he plays most of the instrument on all his albums himself and I even started playing guitar because of him. I have all the albums and I think that I have even all of the singles except the newest ones and the ones on vinyl.

But now I started to listen analytically his albums after almost a year not listening to a single song... If disregarding the lead vocals and guitar, production is really really varying in quality on song by song basis almost on all of the albums starting from the second album.

In general the production has this really LOFI vibe to it, but they really aren't LOFI. And the production doesn't straightly suck either (except "Fields of Joy (reprise)" that has this really annoying phase cancellation effect and a beatles panning with drums on the right and vocals on the left), but more of a bland of sometimes really weird choises, like total annihilation by putting the drums thru a distortion and a bit crusher in "Take Time", but it also makes the songs sound really diverse when even the drums sound different on all of the tracks. The "Circus" album is most wholesome regarding the soundscape, but you can clearly hear that he started to use ProTools on the next album, "5". And he really did excel on that album, in my opinion it is his magnum opus.

There is still this certain type of "Jimi Hendrix like" approach to all of the mixes: The lead vocals REALLY in your face and the guitars are really loud compared to all of the other elements and in addition there is a lead element like acoustic guitar, piano or a synth, you can pretty much only hear the snare, hihat and bass without massive amounts of concetration in addition to those mentioned, but then there are somethings that I just can't understand. Like for example the kick drum. It pretty much has really muffled attack on almost any song (except in the first track of Baptism, "Minister of Rock 'n' Roll" it is really good soundin' and sounds actually healthy, it's also one of his best songs in my opinion btw), but otherwise it's just like bass and low mids, and it usually sounds REALLY boxy, like cardboard box inside another one. Listen to the American Woman and Again for example:

And the Minister of RnR with some Final Fantasy footage:

Well, it has the BOOM that Tad Donley likes :puke: But it still hasn't stopped him selling 40 million records by making semi-shitty sounding records production wise on todays "industrial standards", meaning brickwalled grid tight autotuned inhumane performances :Smug: it's the songs that sells. This brings me to think sometimes, "why bother, really?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, it really REALLY bothers me that in American woman the snare is never used and the crash cymbal is always the same sample... darrgghhhhhhh

I like his stuff, too and about the american woman thing.
Everytime I listen to that song I think of Heather Graham dancing around.
At that time I stop thinking about other stuff and Heather starts to get off her clothes...
Just do it like me, you will forget those production flaws :D

No mention of "Are you gonna go my way"?

I fucking love that album and how it sounds. I liked up to and including 5. After that he went more pop - r'n'b, super produced sounding. And pretty much dropped the funk. The last album had its moments though and seems more back to roots in many ways.

His parents paid for his first album and his mom was Helen from the Jeffersons. Craig Ross was the lead guitarist on AYGGMW and Circus.
Lenny puts on a great show, and I saw him in the mid 90s when they toured with Blind Mellon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much of his stuff is way too radio-friendly/watered down for me to enjoy it, especially the later stuff. Which is quite unfortunate because I think the guy has or had the potential to make some R'n'R songs with bite...

I don't understand the question? Production has NEVER EVER been a factor in how popular something is. It's just the audio engineers/producers/gearslutz.com smartasses that think anyone gives a shit to feel good about the fact that nobody actually really needs them :)

In Lenny Kravitz' case, nobody needs to hear anything but his voice and a mix of chords/bassnotes in the back to establish a relationship between vocal melody and the song's harmony/chord progression. This is universal for all pop that comes on the radio.

Producer's really need to understand that all you need is a recognizeable voice, a good melody and one hooky sound/riff in your song. Fuck mixing, realy. If you play it to your girlfriend and she sings along or dances, it's good enough ...

I think he uses mostly obsolete very old school recording methods/gear.

A little bird told me he bought the mixing desk the Beatles used in their hey day.

Producer's really need to understand that all you need is a recognizeable voice, a good melody and one hooky sound/riff in your song. Fuck mixing, realy. If you play it to your girlfriend and she sings along or dances, it's good enough ...

+1!
A good song with sensable playing/arranging will make 50% of the song.

But there are diamonds in the ruff, and having a engineer/producer around who knows what will work will probably get those diamonds to shine :)

I can give an opinion about stuff, but i'm more then dispensible kinda guy in this kind of thing, not a producer haha
Still you can give a band a real stamp/sound, just look at someone like Steve albini :)

i think a lot of people confuse different styles and attitudes in production with "inabillity"

for example the white stripes - their recordings sound shit.there is not even a bass in many songs :)=
but thats just their attitude - and i personally love different approaches in production.

i personally dont want everyone to sound like meshuggah // DJENT!! // BALB stuff...
cant really stand this artifical way of producing music (anymore) -
for technical metal its cool - and dont get me wrong : me loves 'shuggah!!!
but its just not suited for every style.

and yeah its rhythm >> melody >> harmony that people listen to ->> not the ssl 100K $ console or the neumann U87 or the mix...
most people dont even hear the difference between kick and snare...

music has so much more to offer than just programmed dfh and a pod xt patch...

Yeah, you're absolute right!

For example, I can't imagine the AC/DC, or <insert band name here>
sound with djenty guitars. It doesn't fit in the style.:)
And i'm loving 'suggah and djent too.

And yeah, people are don't hear the difference in the music, when they're listening it with some crappy mp3 player in 128 kb/s quality.

I dissapointed a few times by that.

I heard Kravitz actually produces his own stuff in his home studio some years ago. I guess he's going for that particular old school vibe and he knows playing his songs on the radio compress the sound too.

And yeah, 99,9% of the people won't care if the songs they like were recorded properly in a great studio or not, they won't care about mp3's quality and definetly won't care about bass sound. Only if they're fans they will buy cds to listen to them better.

Even experienced musicians don't notice the bass lines, the sound or if there's any bass already! I'm not a bass player but I do think bass tone and presence in the mix it's veery important in almost every aspect of music production nowadays.