The Project Hate MCMXCIX-Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
The Project Hate MCMXCIX-Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate
Candlelight Records/Threeman Recordings-CDL123/TRECD010-August 25th, 2003/2004 in N.A.
By Josh Phillips

hate1.jpg

Strange, mystic, epic, beautiful, cruel, futuristic, mysterious, apocalyptic, majestic, blasphemous. A few words, that even when combined, cannot fully describe the vast landscape of sound engineered by The Project Hate on their latest release and third full-length, Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate.

Fusing industrial and electronic elements with clean female vocals, growled male vocals, keyboards, a bevy of background voices, effects and traditional elements of metal, The Project Hate have created a sonic journey like no other. With no song clocking in at under seven minutes, this is not an album you can half-listen to and fully experience. This one requires your full attention, so get comfortable and hold on because the reward is extremely gratifying.

The band is able to combine every element they use seamlessly. Melding electronics and keyboards together with funky bass lines and killer riffs, everything complements the music, nothing detracts. Similar to Dan Swanö's Moontower, the synth elements sometimes come to the front and lead the way, like they do on opener “Hate.” At other times, the band showcases death metal stylings which then morph into gorgeous, serene passages lead by the vocals of Jo Enckell. Complemented by epic guitars or the keyboard work of Lord K. Philipson, she adds an entirely new and integral dimension to the music. Move over Christina Scabbia, there’s a new Queen in the genre! Listen to “Nailed”, “Congregate”, and the beautiful “Weep” for some highlights of her work on this release. Her vocals have an incredible ability to take you back in time and this record simply would not be the same without her presence. To offset this serenity are the low growls of Jörgen Sandström and many backing vocalists including bandmates Lord K. Philipson and Petter S. Freed and guests Emperor Magus Caligula(Dark Funeral), Rickard Alriksson(Genocide Superstars) and Mogge Lundin(2 Ton Predator).

The guitar work is very well done, the synth elements only complement the guitars, never replace them or abate their fury. There are well-placed solos in songs such as “Hate”, executed perfectly by Petter S. Freed. I believe the drums are programmed and I must commend Lord K. Philipson for doing an excellent job with them. The drumming is never out of place and as Lord K. Philipson also writes much of the music, this may explain why. He also plays guitar, bass and keyboards and has earned my respect for putting together such a phenomenal release. Petter S. Freed contributes in writing music, while the lyrics are handled mainly by Jörgen Sandström and Jo Enckell. Each band member contributes in their own way, working together and achieving the best possible results.

Really, any more words to try to describe The Project Hate would be futile. This is something everyone has to hear for themselves. So many elements fused together so well, this is simply some of the best music I’ve heard in a long time. It will make you kill, it will make you cry, buy it now.

9.75/10

Official The Project Hate Website
Official Threeman Recordings Website
Official Candlelight USA Website

I have to agree this album is amazing. this band is incredible

Lord K Philipson Posted: Jan 9 2005, 01:57 AM

Group: Global Satanic Dominators
Member No.: 1

Marvellous review.

That's the score I can live with.

--------------------

E-mail: lordk@globaldomination.se

Crazy. Even though I've had this album for a while, I was recently listening to it non-stop for the last few days. Then I come on here and see this review. Crazy, I say.

Follow up: I feel compelled to say a few more words about this release. It's been a month now and I've listened to this probably twice a day every day since I first picked it up. It might honestly be the best album in my entire collection, really a mind-blowing piece of work. A new record is being created now and should be out later this year and I eagerly look forward to hearing it. It takes time to know whether you've truly got one of the Top 5 albums ever sitting in your hands, years, but if I may venture a guess, I think I'll be listening to this 10 years from today and enjoying it. Highest of recommendations for Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate once again.