The proper pronounciation of "Dan" and "Dag"

Enkeli said:
:lol: Well, actually I think you described it really well! Now, if we wanted to make things really complicated, I could go into detail about the differences between the Swedish that's spoken in Sweden, and the Swedish that's spoken in Finland. :lol: But that would just completely bore everyone. :)

Sanna
Or their brains would explode ;)

http://www.hotsmileys.com/smileys/death/death18.gif

Hey, when are you bringing El Boyfriendo over here? You have to come and visit us! (Yes, I am aware that there is Östersjön in between, but I'm going to ignore that :))

Embla said:
Hey, when are you bringing El Boyfriendo over here? You have to come and visit us! (Yes, I am aware that there is Östersjön in between, but I'm going to ignore that :))

Well, it doesn't look like Jim will show up in Finland until sometime this winter. But thanks for the offer; we should definitely look into coming for a visit!:)

Although I apologise in advance if I turn into a studdering idiot in Dan's presence. After all, I currently have 4 Nightingale cd's in the stereo....:lol: I'll try my hardest not to drop to my kness and start chanting "I'm not worthy" when I see him, since that would be embarrassing for all of us. :p

Embla said:
You're not totally wrong. Say the English word [church] and apply the 'ur' sound to Swan.

And actually we don't pronounce /w/ as in, say, "water", but as in /v/, you know like in "Vader".

And the a in both DAN and SWANÖ is LONG [a:], sort of as in "Bargain". So, a LONG AAAAA and try to put it in the very front of your mouth.

(Yes, I am a fucked up person who have, in total, spent a whole fucking term studying phonetics!!)

So, ultimate guide:

['SVAAAN ,UR] Hehe :)

And as for the Å sound (as in Åsa and Åkerfeldt). Say the word "AURA" (I'm not sure how the Americans pronounce it, but at least in the British version this works) and apply the AU sound. "AU-SA"
And as for Åkerfeldt...

['au: kerr 'felt]

The first syllable (' and underlined) means the main stress is on that first syllable
rr should be pronounced as far front against the dental row as you can manage without freaking yourself out. DO NOT use the English 'r', where the tip of the tongue is far back in the mouth.
'felt is pronounced as in a felt tip pen. Although, strictly speaking, our 'L' is further in front (tounge tip against the upper row of the teeth). There sould be secondary stress on 'felt, but not as distinct as on the first syllable.

Oh my GOD, I'm so NOT interesting!! :loco:

And of course, the English way of pronounding it as just as fine... they're all used to it! :)

Enkeli > Am I making sense to the Americans, you think? :)

Wow!!! I think I get it, thank you Embla!!!!

Inspector EMBLA said:
Hey, when are you bringing El Boyfriendo over here?

Next lesson will be, Swedes using Spanglish while speaking English to Finns concerning Americans.

Enkeli said:
Although I apologise in advance if I turn into a studdering idiot in Dan's presence.

We've been over this before. I stud, you stutter.

Enkeli said:
since that would be embarrassing for all of us. :p

No, just you. :D

Jim LotFP said:
Next lesson will be, Swedes using Spanglish while speaking English to Finns concerning Americans.

if anyone needs help with Spanglish then i am the guy to talk to, i was so bad in spanish in high school which was the main reason i took something else (german) in college. I worked at a restaurant with a bunch of hispanics, and some of them knew no english, and when i tried to say something to them, it was just bad. haha.

Jim LotFP said:
We've been over this before. I stud, you stutter.

Oh poo. :bah:

No, just you. :D

Oh come on, you'd be totally embarrassed. It's not my fault that I'm not used to hanging out with musicians...(I guess my brother doesn't count?:lol: )
I think it would just take some time to get over the "OH MY GOD I LOVE ALL YOUR CD'S" factor... :Spin:

Enkeli said:
Well, it doesn't look like Jim will show up in Finland until sometime this winter. But thanks for the offer; we should definitely look into coming for a visit!:)
Oh well, at least once he's here, you just have to keep him here. In the deep forests of Finland (or, alternatively, the perfectly city-looking streets of Helsingfors), no one can hear you scream. (Unless you join an up-and-coming black metal band and get a record deal.) Are you sure he can handle a true Northern winter?

Enkeli said:
Although I apologise in advance if I turn into a studdering idiot in Dan's presence. After all, I currently have 4 Nightingale cd's in the stereo....:lol: I'll try my hardest not to drop to my kness and start chanting "I'm not worthy" when I see him, since that would be embarrassing for all of us. :p
No, go right ahead, I'm sure it'll be really funny, and then when you're starting to feel embarrassed, you can buy us all beer to make up for it :p (I honestly don't think the gentle giant inspires acts of madness like that... ask the ones on this forum who have met him :))

Enkeli said:
Oh come on, you'd be totally embarrassed. It's not my fault that I'm not used to hanging out with musicians...(I guess my brother doesn't count?:lol: )
I think it would just take some time to get over the "OH MY GOD I LOVE ALL YOUR CD'S" factor... :Spin:
You do have a point... after a (very short) while, one tends to become a bit "So, you're in a band... that don't impress me much" :)

*However* it doesn't make you immune against similar acts of temporary insanity... when Prof. David Crystal visited Örebro University, I was THIS close to asking him if he'd care to sign my "Rediscover Grammar" :lol:

IAmEternal said:
Lets just agree that Asa (Embla) is a very cool lady :p
Suitable for a guy like Dan! HAAHAHAHHA

Thank you very much, madam.
Aha, but you see, it's the people who appear funny or interesting in written language that are the most boring and miserable sods in real life :) Luckily for me, I'm not funny or interesting!

Embla said:
You do have a point... after a (very short) while, one tends to become a bit "So, you're in a band... that don't impress me much" :)

*However* it doesn't make you immune against similar acts of temporary insanity... when Prof. David Crystal visited Örebro University, I was THIS close to asking him if he'd care to sign my "Rediscover Grammar" :lol:
:lol:
now that's funny!

Embla said:
Aha, but you see, it's the people who appear funny or interesting in written language that are the most boring and miserable sods in real life :) Luckily for me, I'm not funny or interesting!

I think a lot of your posts are just fucking hilarious! If I happened to be in Sweden (not bloody likely) I'd buy you guys beer, for sure! You never know, maybe some day...

Embla said:
Hey, I'm no stranger to linguistic challenges!
OK. Then you could try to pronounce czech "ř". A letter with the worst pronounciation imaginable. Certainly in Europe :) I heard that on Iceland exists our ř too, but I have no proof about it.

And for the bravest of you little rhyme:

Tři sta třicet tři stříbrných stříkaček stříkalo přes tři sta stříbrných střech.

Hope someone will enjoy these crazy lines.

:wave:

P.S.: Pronounce ř like you are preparing to spit your very big and very green loogie and you protract it even from your heel. OK I am exaggerating.

Ok, I could be wrong, but here's an American's point of view on the Ö, which I learned in choir of all places: pretend like you're going to say "oh", and shape your mouth like that, and then with your mouth in that silly-looking puckered up position say "eh" or "ee" instead. Is this helpful, or am I completely off base? If you don't tell me I'm wrong, and I am, I'll say it in public and embarass myself!

There are "Studiopeople" and "Livepeople"

"Studiopeople"
Write great letters, fits well on the net, make great books. They work as long as they don´t have to be social with other people ( some should never leave their house )

"Livepeople"
Write no letters, don´t chat, don´t make books. They feed of other people and like to talk ( some should never leave their house either )

Then of course ( like some good band ) there are people who can do both

:Smug: