The Quill

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
Well, I stumbled upon (Voodoo Caravan) by The Quill at a local store. I've heard of the band before, but I didn't have a clue what they sounded like. I basically listened to the disc because it was on the SPV label. Much to my surprise, here's my synopsis so far. If you sprinkled some Ozzy era Black Sabbath in a mixing bowl with a dash of Badlands, mainly due to the lead singer, you'd get The Quill! It's good stuff if you like either of these bands, but I'm only judging them on this one release.

With that said, are there any long time fans of The Quill?

~Brian~

Magnus Ekwall is a god among vocalists. Nobody commented to him being in my top 13. but yeah...they are pretty good if you like stuff hard rocking and classic....I dig this disc as well but im not a long running fan as it were...

I have been a fan since the I "stumbled" across the first CD. I would say they are one of my favs as far as "stoner rock" goes and a great band all around :headbang:

Their hammond sound from their first cd is what got me to like them alot(because it reminded me of listening to similar stuff in the early 70's),didn't listen to them after they dropped the hammond and I think they disbanded(?)

I think The Quill is a pretty cool band, but I've kind of lost interest over the past couple releases because they seem to just be repeating themselves. I think their first three releases (up through Voodoo Caravan) are the best...in fact, the debut is by far their best album (and the follow-up, Silver Haze, is impossible to find...unless they've reissued it recently).

Magnus Ekwall is a god among vocalists. Nobody commented to him being in my top 13. .

I was going to comment on it but never got around to it. Magnus is indeed a great vocalist. Not certain I could get much out of The Quill though.