The Quireboys - This Is Rock'N'Roll

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
The Quireboys - This Is Rock'N'Roll
Sanctuary Records
By Beverley Shortland

There I was standing outside Hammy Odeon with hundreds of other people clutching my limited editions of I Don’t Love You Anymore and my rather worn out copy of A Bit of What You Fancy, hoping beyond hope that someone from The Quireboys would just happen along at any moment and be bothered enough to sign them for me. And what do ya know? Up pops Nigel Mogg, casually crossing the road, and I get to him before everyone else does! Hurrah! Ok, so Guy and Spike snuck in in a black cab, but hey, I got to meet Nigel; I was one happy bunny.

Fast forward a decade and I’m presented with the joyous news that the band are back and they are kicking bottom. And after a couple of listens to This is Rock N’ Roll, I have to agree; my arse is sore but I’m a happy bunny all over again.

From the moment the fast paced title track kicks in it’s hard to stop yourself from rocking along and getting carried away with the spirit of the album. The rather groovy Show Me What You Got (infectious to say the least), and the traditional pub rocker C’mon are my favourites, but it’s hard to point out a weak song on the album. Take Me For a Ride is the highlight of the album for me though, with its warm raw emotive sound and a chorus that is catchy for all the right reasons.

The old Quireboys sound is still there, but there’s a maturity and freshness to it that makes it so attractive, added in part by the new members of the band, and because they’ve all been away and lived lives. It’s not completely original, but it makes for a bloody good time. And in a musical climate that presents you with shrink wrapped pop, teen angst rock or gangsta rap, that’s a good enough reason to give them a go, particularly if you’re an adult looking for something a little more fun and a little more interesting.

This is Rock N’ Roll indeed. And yes, I still have those signed discs. ;)

www.quireboys.com