the reason all this is happenning

htown

New Metal Member
Apr 2, 2005
i've been a thrax fan since they were on the spreading the disease tour and i was just in junior high. and although i don't play in metal bands anymore nor listen to much new age rock/metal, i have a profound respect for anthrax in all forms. being in the music business for over a decade my perspective would be much different than your average fan.

the fact of the matter is that only the people in anthrax and their management/label (if they're still on a label or on a new one) would really understand what the intentions are. however hitting 20 years is a great achivement and they want everyone to know by both old and new.

every fan must remember that a band is a business just like any corporation. it may have started as friends or auditions and maybe through family, but it still is a business. as great as the current anthrax is today with the wcfya lineup and music (btw i think is the 2nd greatest thrax album of all time next to among) and all the touring plus having keano in the safe home video just to get out there in marke, their sales is not what they had anticipated despite rave reviews (from what i've read).

someone may have thought to try to get back to what made them a success in the 1st place. thrax never headline stadiums nor really hit multi-platium record status but was a solid gold status (500,00) band during its prime with this lineup (among). each listener and fan has to remember that any band or artist can retire or be gone in the industry at anytime. if a great album like wcfya doesn't even hit the market the way it really should with all the touring, playing, distribution, interviews, and promotions, how is another album from the same lineup going to reach the next level?

as a fellow artist/producer in the music scene there is a time limit that you (may)give yourself before you start another change or project. so instead of changing for a new band, why not go back to the basics that made you huge in the 1st place? sure it may be an issue with money, but i think that pride also has a place and direction.

the problem is that we've all come to love john and rob. and we've been sold on the new thrax buying the latest albums since s.o.w.n. so coming back to the old thrax is really strange. they won't say a new album is planned because they may be checking out if this old school lineup how it will generate ticket sales. i'll go see them...the old school thrax people will probably see them with the latest fans and so i predict that it will be a success for ticket sales. if it is all a failure, then they could drop the idea and go back with john and rob. why wouldn't spitz and joey come back? where are their careers?

damn photo #4 is so funny looking but if he can see then he can play. spitz had character weather you like him or not, and he was on the cover of guitar mag. and many accomplishments that rob has never done. and while joey doesn't have the power as john, his pop/rock high pitch voice put thrax on the map and seperated them from metallica, megadeath, and slayer during the 80's.

this is my 2 cents and many of you may disagree. i will have to say that if i was in thrax myself, i would probably have done the same. maybe not so suddenly though...having met all the members both old and new (minus rob), all of them have been great people to meet. they all look very incohesive in their pics though.....

someone may have thought to try to get back to what made them a success in the 1st place.

I'm not too sure about that. I know many people, myself included at times, would think of Iron Maiden and Bruce! Or Priest and Halford! Or KISS with Ace! Maiden, Priest, and KISS were more than just Bruce, Halfy, and Ace, but they kind of became the focal points for the band, the "houehold name" so to speak, or the image that ones associates with the band.

When I think of Anthrax, do I think ..... Joey Belladonna??? Hell no, I think of that bald headed motherfucker with the goatee. Even when Scott had long hair, his mug breathed charisma. I don't think the fans were dying to see Joey back in the band the same way fans wanted Halfy back, and I think the old fans just moved on, and will continue to.

Anthrax made headway on rock radio since 1998. I was hoping they would work to continue that trend.