The Responsibility of Man

If I didnt appreaciate the intellegence here, I would be hangin with those of simpler notions, would I not ? I just dont like it used against me, which it has been, deny if you want, I have clear vision and also get frustrated trying to decifer the word play, that is all. Give me credit for not saying anything for along time.

also the last post your right back to the agree with me thing, yet that particular point evolved around being told I didnt present myself, basically up to the standards of a few. This shows me two possibilities, minimal effort in interpretation and not wanting to "hear" the presentation.

Lastly if you havent caught on yet Im so old Im lucky to get to the end but I never fail people on effort. I actually prefer my less influenced way of looking at things, never having been much of a reader or follower, in other words being able to apply a more independent thought void of the mudpuddle that occurs with too much stiring. It has its merits as well as faults but honestly I like it, something about having others do your thinking never sat well with me.

I have clear vision and also get frustrated trying to decifer the word play, that is all. Give me credit for not saying anything for along time.

say what it is you don't understand; say what you're taking it as saying, and someone will elaborate.

all you need is patience and a calm attitude.

the whole process of argument is digging through words to understand another person, to be able to translate their terms into ours, and having made that connection, dig through the claims and arguments for them, essentially looking for the common ground from which we disagree from which we can see why the other disagrees and give our argument for why they should conclude the way we did, and then defend as much of what's built on that as is rational to them. that's all it really is.

you get nowhere if you don't say anything.

look, I dont know what a vegan is, dont really care in this application, only at some time for curiositys sake maybe. I dont care about eating meat, I accept being a carnivore. I let bees sit on my bare shoulders but I grab the deer fly and pull one of its wings off and let it flounder on the ground for giving me a big welt. I care about one thing and one thing only, that I dont effect anyone elses life through my greed and that they do not affect mine. Im very comfortable with this, unfortunantely I was a "victim" of the latter. I proudly stand for these humanistic values, get the fuck off my back, I will not lower my values and I will not respect a blood sucking insect. Its all simple shit to me, no brainer stuff.

say what it is you don't understand; say what you're taking it as saying, and someone will elaborate.

all you need is patience and a calm attitude.

the whole process of argument is digging through words to understand another person, to be able to translate their terms into ours, and having made that connection, dig through the claims and arguments for them, essentially looking for the common ground from which we disagree from which we can see why the other disagrees and give our argument for why they should conclude the way we did, and then defend as much of what's built on that as is rational to them. that's all it really is.

you get nowhere if you don't say anything.

Ok, good apply it to mine. I put the time into decifering yours and it took effort and I proudly did in on my own.

so far as I can see they're nothing more than accessories...interchangable if a person's beliefs/values are changed.

Yep... so we're either left with 'ends' that we define which are interchangeable, or 'ends' that seem to have no power to describe action. I guess it's getting kind of semantic here. Somewhere in the combination of 'self satisfaction' and 'personal values' seems to lie what I'm after - I guess because I'm not convinced that values arise consciously out of any self satisfaction drive, they can not be altered at will, they are as much a part of us as the 'self satisfaction' drive.

I proudly stand for these humanistic values, get the fuck off my back, I will not lower my values and I will not respect a blood sucking insect. Its all simple shit to me, no brainer stuff.

I think this is one of the problems being encountered with your statements. You find it 'simple' and accept it, but the rest of us involved in the discussion are discussing *why* such things occur, and *why* they should hold any sway over us. Generally once 'simple' things are looked upon closely they are seen to be not nearly so 'simple' at all. This is I think a lot of the interest in philosophy, not accepting what is simply apparent but questioning reasons for such and trying to understand.

I think this is one of the problems being encountered with your statements. You find it 'simple' and accept it, but the rest of us involved in the discussion are discussing *why* such things occur, and *why* they should hold any sway over us. Generally once 'simple' things are looked upon closely they are seen to be not nearly so 'simple' at all. This is I think a lot of the interest in philosophy, not accepting what is simply apparent but questioning reasons for such and trying to understand.

indeed. Like science, philosophy appreciates the unreliability of intuition, and where science depends on empirical evidence for support, philosophy must rely on the skepticism and reasoning of others to determine what ideas are more likely to be closer to the truth than others.

If I didnt appreaciate the intellegence here, I would be hangin with those of simpler notions, would I not ? I just dont like it used against me, which it has been, deny if you want, I have clear vision and also get frustrated trying to decifer the word play, that is all. Give me credit for not saying anything for along time.

Having the intelligence of those here used 'against me' is what I find *best* about this place...

look, I dont know what a vegan is, dont really care in this application.
it takes VERY little time and trouble to google the words "vegan definition". I'm disappointed you follow up this statement with one about how proud you are about the efforts you're willing to make.

I care about one thing and one thing only, that I dont effect anyone elses life through my greed and that they do not affect mine.
and some people will say 'I care about one thing and one thing only, that I dont effect any other white people's lives through my greed and that they do not affect mine.'

nobody cares just what exactly your, or anyone else's, opinions happen to be; only your reasons for having them. The question isn't 'what do you believe?' but rather 'why should I believe what you do?'

If you merely want to assert what you believe in, you need to find yourself a church or a protest march, not a philosophy forum.

I will not respect a blood sucking insect. Its all simple shit to me, no brainer stuff.
like Hitler might have said about a Jew? or an early American about a 'my pals'?
no brainers... and that's really the problem.

Yep... so we're either left with 'ends' that we define which are interchangeable, or 'ends' that seem to have no power to describe action. I guess it's getting kind of semantic here. Somewhere in the combination of 'self satisfaction' and 'personal values' seems to lie what I'm after - I guess because I'm not convinced that values arise consciously out of any self satisfaction drive, they can not be altered at will, they are as much a part of us as the 'self satisfaction' drive.

yea, I think you're hinting at something really important here. it's getting late here, I think we should definitely explore this. post what comes to mind, and I'll try to bounce back some ideas tomorrow when I'm refreshed and relaxed if not tonight.

In some reading on utilitarianism today I came across a few points relevant to our discussion. I have in some sense accused you of what Dennett terms 'greedy reductionism' - that by looking to underlying factors you in effect explain away what is being explained. I now quite strongly want to see 'values' as ends in themselves, and 'satisfaction in relation to x value' as the designation that the end has been or will be, at least partially fulfilled. I don't think satisfaction can exist independently, it is always 'the satisfaction *of* something'. Pretty much the paradox of hedonism, I think.

If the 'ends' are what determines values and there is more then one value that can create the end, what is the most productive value to reach that end? Generally I think values come in a few different ways. The first and most changeable is Authoritarian values such as religion and laws. These are set by others and are intended to be followed. The next set are personal values, still possibly influenced by the Authoritarian/societal norms, but are harder to change because the person came to those values based on personal experience. The third set of values are determined through logical debate(much like is going on here) and they tend to be the hardest to accept because they may directly be in opposition to what you have either experience or have been told by members of authority. I think values are really tested in the most extreme situations where the common everyday events do not apply. Such as cannibalism to survive when the plane crashes in a mountain. I'm finding that values that tend to go towards a more naturalistic sense(survival, happiness of yourself and loved ones) are the more valid ones. Those ends can be justified by your ability to live. I mean what good are having values that get you killed? Unless of course your values determine that the greater good of humanity is more important than the good of a few, aka utilitarianism. I know for many people it is hard to change values because they are hard wired in your brain from when you are a child by your parents and other forms of authority and being able to step outside of your own values and ends to see how and what they are determined from is very useful in doing some in-mind housekeeping of junk values that are baseless, ignorant, and possibly harmful in one way or another.

Sorry for the rant, I'm sure I just said nothing new.

I have in some sense accused you of what Dennett terms 'greedy reductionism' - that by looking to underlying factors you in effect explain away what is being explained.
interesting. I don't think I'd disagree with that any more than when skeptics 'explain away' the magic of twin babies (it's not that 'a man impregnated a woman, and a god impregnated a woman, and one of the two brothers is a divine man' as an ancient myth has it), or god's miracles, or alien UFOs, or any of that stuff - you can use psychology and science to show why people come to the explanations they do, and give a more solid explanation for what it really is. it's not an argument against it, or a condemnation of it, just an accurate accessment of the process being undertaken.

I now quite strongly want to see 'values' as ends in themselves, and 'satisfaction in relation to x value' as the designation that the end has been or will be, at least partially fulfilled. I don't think satisfaction can exist independently, it is always 'the satisfaction *of* something'. Pretty much the paradox of hedonism, I think.
I'm not sure about the phrasing of your first sentence there, but I'll pursue the second:
I think that relies heavily on a misunderstanding---treating all things as emotions; 'satisfaction' as synonymous with 'pleasure', where I've clarified 'pleasure' itself is a means toward satisfaction---the state in which you do not desire to seek further pleasure.

If the 'ends' are what determines values and there is more then one value that can create the end, what is the most productive value to reach that end?
That I don't think is a fitting phrasing. I take all healthy humans to be of the same nature---we all have the same end as surely as when eating we want to swallow and when fucking we want to cum. Rather, I think our individual differences in biology or neurology or however you want to regard genetic discrepancies between individuals, their propensities and the like, and their psychological differences, as from the way they are raised, what they learn, what they spend a lot of time doing, their whole interaction with the world, such things as these predispose individuals toward different 'values', as values are subject-relative---diamonds may make one woman happy, while being less impressive than a stain-glass window for a pastor, and less entertaining than glass shards to me. These values dependent on the individual determine what means we'll create in order to reach our ends.
But yea, I think it's rather obvious that some values are better than others, when you look at cases like 'comfort food' eaten 'ad obesity', or even just people using violence to solve their problems because they lack the ability to control their emotions, or lack the intellect to employ other means---valuing violence as useful to get what you want can be reduced by the introduction of a superior method. This to me is really what virtue involves.

Generally I think values come in a few different ways. The first and most changeable is Authoritarian values such as religion and laws. These are set by others and are intended to be followed.
in the interest of any earlier statements of mine making sense, I just want to note that social values like legal and religious laws aren't what I'd call values we have. They are values 'of other people' (presuming anyone alive actually supports this or that law), but for subjective experience they're not 'values' but merely things identifiable as motives for which actions are promoted by the people whose values those are. Their values only have any relevance insofar as we ourselves already have values to which their response to the tresspass of their values conflicts---if you're homeless and jail would be a free meal and shelter, the social values established in law about burglary don't contradict your values at all, it's a win whether you get caught or not, it's only for a person who doesn't want to have happen to them what happens to those who breach the social values, i.e., he who has existing values, of which 'punishment' intentionally targets, who is dissauded from doing so. These values set by others need by no means be considered values held by the people who 'follow' them; like I said earlier, you don't actually need to respect something if the pretense of respect will achieve the same results---your gross behavior looks like it conforms to their values, but it's not necessarily because those are subjectively values agreed upon.

I think values are really tested in the most extreme situations where the common everyday events do not apply. Such as cannibalism to survive when the plane crashes in a mountain.
I'm not so sure about that. instrumental values seem to be tentative things---you stop valuing food as a particular means when it has no nutrition, or when you can no longer taste it, or when you can't keep food down. It's not like we need have any real value concerning cannibalism day-to-day. When we are starving to death surrounded by corpses, then we might acknowledge we value 'living' more than 'dying as a vegetarian', but this is talking about much more direct values (as Blowtus might want to consider ends in themselves, as people often say of truth, beauty, etc. - which, for the record, I disagree with), as opposed to solely instrumental values.
I'm though inclined to talk about life as a transparent value, a means indeed, though the rationality behind this a lengthy explanation (why live and try to become a millionaire instead of just dying...).
Things we value for themselves--as ends or transparent goods--may be revealed by the crisis situations, but all other values are just means to these, and if we kill someone so we don't starve to death, that's not to negate our past valuing of human life for example, merely that its means value there is not found here, or is of inferior value--it is a means to something we deem less important (e.g., die laughing with a mate, vs. possibly live another 30 years). Our values per se never changed, only what is or isn't perceived to be a means to the values that remain did. This is all to say that what we value as a means it may be unproductive to refer to at this level as 'a value' rather than 'a means', unless we do go on to prefix them, which nonetheless is dismissing the idea of 'testing our values', like some sort of deep discovery of who we really are. It comes back to the problem of altruism---someone wants to say 'she values her babies life more than her own, this traffic crisis where she died saving her baby proves it'. By now you know my reply: if the babies life would have no estimated negative impact on her own she'd not have done it, because it wouldn't have been a means to her own values being preserved or fulfilled.

I'm finding that values that tend to go towards a more naturalistic sense(survival, happiness of yourself and loved ones) are the more valid ones.
I'm not sure about 'valid' so much as 'fundamental'.
Perhaps you have to kill your child because you're trapped together and have only enough water for one of you too survive, and the child is too young to survive if you killed yourself. it's not like your valuing of the child wasn't real, no more than your valuing of a toaster isn't real... but it's not the naive "you value that thing for it's own sake" blabber of the past, but merely a means value. If you don't kill the child there could be any number of psychological reasons for that, quite apart from 'the child deserves to live for it's own sake, I have no right to kill it', as in this instance it is stipulated that the child will die irrespective of our actions, so our inaction is merely a human emotional weakness which will have negative consequences for ourselves. I think this sort of thing is where a lot of the problems come from in assessing such things.

what good are having values that get you killed?
Islamic martyrs may well live and die happier than, say, agoraphobes. What good are their values?---they work, they meet the individual's end. The absurdity of human life (and a reason I love The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius) is the intellectual idea that 'it's better to live two more months eating the same ice-cream every day, than just one more month doing so'. As I hinted at above, shit gets complicated and evolutionary in explaining this, but that people actually take this sort of thing onboard as a value, rather than merely feeling it emotionally but rejecting it intellectually (as one does for pain when exercising, or boredom at work, or tiredness in the morning--overcoming the natural for the value better reasoned to be valid), it's kinda sad. It's really the same problem when people 'want to make a difference', 'leave a legacy', 'be remembered', 'save the world', 'live a meaningful life', etc.--these people want to take life to be something more than living, and take their inclination to survive as a reasonable goal (one of the things I despise most about Ayn Rand), rather than just an inclination to be overcoming if and when we have the reasoned motive for doing so.

I know for many people it is hard to change values because they are hard wired in your brain from when you are a child by your parents and other forms of authority and being able to step outside of your own values and ends to see how and what they are determined from is very useful in doing some in-mind housekeeping of junk values that are baseless, ignorant, and possibly harmful in one way or another.
no doubt.
One thing I essentially never talk about is self-help, self-improvement... actually fixing this bullshit, rather than just appreciating it for what it is (I'm not a doctor, I just know sickness when I see it). I'm one of the least virtuous people I know... one more reason it would be great for moral nonsense to be put aside would be that we would invest so much more into what methods actually produce a change in people. This is actually one of the reasons we suffer Christianity. Was it Aquinas?--someone said that the problem is that I know what is right and wrong but I have nothing to make me do what I know is right--this idea of helplessness before our lack of virtue, the inability to improve the population, is whence the whole Christian delusion of big-brother comes in handy, as a last ditch hope to controlling people.

Sorry for the rant, I'm sure I just said nothing new.
this intellectually impoverished world is no place to apologise for having thoughts.

Christianity, Transcendentalism, and Existentialism (and many others of which I am less versed, and of which I will not speak therefore) claim that the individual is responsible for his or her actions, informed actions or not. Of course this goes against human psychology (consider Milgram's expereiments), but that is why personal responsibility is so valued; when practiced, we transcend and are transformed into something magnificent in the process.