humanism and morality

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
Morality is a concept made possible by self-awareness, which most humans are in a state of. (The exception being the mentally disabled, which only through and defined by their opposite, (the able) is “disabled” defined.) Coincidently, the mentally disabled who are not self aware (as far as one can tell) are also the ones void of moral responsibility. They can be conditioned, or disciplined, to satisfy the disciple’s will, thus satisfying the moral framework through which the disciple wills, but they don’t necessarily have a concept of morality. They are acting on pure animal instinct, or animal rights. The disciple is doing the same.

Whatever one does is pure animal instinct. There are absolutely no exceptions. If the reptilian section of the brain calls, but the cosmically aware section of the brain restrains, and one acts on behalf of the restraint, with a looming sense of primitively influenced doubt, it is due to their nature’s calling. The remaining doubt is stored as part of their conscious experience and is used to fuel further contemplation which is and is a part of the constantly evolving universal morality. In other words, homophobes often don’t act upon their hate, because doing so is wrong.

Thanks to desire besides the desire for sustenance, coupled with human intelligence, technology has given us tons of things to do besides spend the majority of our time tending to the requirement-to-be-met of our sustenance-need’s calling. The mode/nature of unnecessary hobbies that have evolved throughout time, along with their applications and results, have always been met with a shock-influx of conflicts within the mode for moral guidelines, (which ironically has just as much to do with the development of the hobbies as the hobbies themselves, since the two are inseparable). For example, hundreds of years ago, Billy dreamed that one day he could ride his horse to the top of the rigorous mountain on the edge of his backyard, and maybe even build a custom carriage that could withstand the jagged rocks. He had a since of adventure, loved a good challenge, and liked heights. He was also curious about the stars. Generations later, a grandmother in that family line is talking to Johnny, the astronaut, telling him stories about how a sense of adventure, and a love for the stars has been in the family’s blood for ages.

Humans, especially now, have achieved on a large scale, which is why morals are becoming more and more “stingy”. They must account for their surroundings, which are on a constantly growing scale. The more our actions, ambitions, and achievements mingle and conflict, the more our personal values and moral responsibilities mingle and conflict. In order to grow as a species, given all of our unnecessary indulgences, we must question the dogma of our forefathers, which can be difficult. It is hardwired into our being. But, it must be done, and is being done right now. After all, it is their ideas which have led to our being able to communicate on the internet our ideas inspired by our own imaginations coupled with the ideas that they forged. We should expect and encourage new moral guidelines, and constantly be questioning the values which lend to others’ discomfort. It is our responsibility, given what our current situation has done for us.

Whatever one does is pure animal instinct. There are absolutely no exceptions.

We should expect and encourage new moral guidelines, and constantly be questioning the values which lend to others’ discomfort. It is our responsibility, given what our current situation has done for us.

You don't find these two statements just a little inconsistent?

It sounds like you're saying that morality is possible (for the self-aware), but we can't act upon it. Why then bother with normative morality at all?

Humans, especially now, have achieved on a large scale, which is why morals are becoming more and more “stingy”. They must account for their surroundings, which are on a constantly growing scale. The more our actions, ambitions, and achievements mingle and conflict, the more our personal values and moral responsibilities mingle and conflict. In order to grow as a species, given all of our unnecessary indulgences, we must question the dogma of our forefathers, which can be difficult. It is hardwired into our being. But, it must be done, and is being done right now. After all, it is their ideas which have led to our being able to communicate on the internet our ideas inspired by our own imaginations coupled with the ideas that they forged. We should expect and encourage new moral guidelines, and constantly be questioning the values which lend to others’ discomfort. It is our responsibility, given what our current situation has done for us.

Why is it our responsibility?
Talk of responsibility and morals seems merely a dogmatic attempt to influence, yet you are suggesting we should question all such dogma...?

I feel similarly to you, but I don't think it is anyones 'responsibility'. It is presently the way I find most 'meaning' attached to life, and that is a personal choice. The fact that the actions you or I may speak of appear 'best' for everyone (in our perspective) does not have the effect of making it some sort of 'moral requirement' for others. If they can be convinced of the worth and choose to adjust their views and actions accordingly, then great :)

You don't find these two statements just a little inconsistent?

It sounds like you're saying that morality is possible (for the self-aware), but we can't act upon it. Why then bother with normative morality at all?

it is in our nature to bother with normative reality. it is an animal instinct to do what is in the individual's best interests. you are already a part of a normative morality. you can't help it. acting against it, with the normative morality in mind implies that you are bothering with a normative morality. you do act upon it, no matter what.

Why is it our responsibility?
Talk of responsibility and morals seems merely a dogmatic attempt to influence, yet you are suggesting we should question all such dogma...?

I feel similarly to you, but I don't think it is anyones 'responsibility'. It is presently the way I find most 'meaning' attached to life, and that is a personal choice. The fact that the actions you or I may speak of appear 'best' for everyone (in our perspective) does not have the effect of making it some sort of 'moral requirement' for others. If they can be convinced of the worth and choose to adjust their views and actions accordingly, then great :)

yes, it is an attempt to influence, and you just quesioned it. and no, there is obviously no requirement, unless a jehovas witness knocks on their door and they buy it. actually, in the context of my first post, there is no such thing as the word "requirement"....you just do, you can't help it.

the point of that section is this.

i see no point in latching onto certain old, concrete values that have no worth in today's reality. granted, this is based on my observation alone, so it is just as biased as the values i'm addressing, and i'm not going to narrow it down to certain values on this thread.

it is in our nature to bother with normative reality. it is an animal instinct to do what is in the individual's best interests. you are already a part of a normative morality. you can't help it. acting against it, with the normative morality in mind implies that you are bothering with a normative morality. you do act upon it, no matter what.

It is a bit strange to regard what we engage in as normative morality if we couldn't possibly do otherwise, don't you think?

It is a bit strange to regard what we engage in as normative morality if we couldn't possibly do otherwise, don't you think?

i thought it was strange that hibernal_dream questioned this fact. so, i responded.

there are many rules that one is born into and must follow, and many ideas and values that one abides by, but doesn't necessarily adhere to. whether you're a christian or not, you and your values are heavily influenced by the ten commandments.