The Right kind of Mids?

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
Are upper mids the important mids for the mix i.e no cuts after the source, and low mids 80% of the time have a cut in them? I just want to know if when people generally on this forum talk about having the mids in the guitar tone they mean the higher or lower mids.

i guess there's 3 kinds of mids.
Low mids - Core mids - High mids.

I would judge them to be from 200hz - 500hz, 500hz - 1.5k, 1.5k - 4k *maybe*
Essentially, it depends on the amp what gets cut. I know with my Mark IV, lots of core mids and some low mids get cut due to the amps nature to push strongly with core mids. So there's generally some cuts at about 400 - 500 *minor all due to the cabinet IMO* and definitely some around 700 - 800 where is just gets to much in the way of the mix if it isn't right.

With 5150's I think generally the low mids are mostly fiddled with and then the higher register where it gets grating. Recto's have hughe low end, so anywhere from the lows to core mids get played with a fair bit from experience.

I hope that helps mate :)

Yeah a bit! Thanks. I take it your core mid range was from 500-1.5k? My mids seem to sound very 'worbally'/'wobbly' to put it bluntly but i've heard plenty of bands using v30 cabs with amps that put out lots of midrange but they don't sound TOO scooped.