Interesting mixing method I have been experimenting with

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
Hope I explain this properly:)
I had a few days off this week so I thought I would have a go at something that has been in my head for a while now.

First of all mix as usual then:
Start with guitars. Put one guitar in mono in the middle and turn it up a bit so it sits on top of the mix rather than in it. Sweep an mid Q eq cut around the low mids until the bass and kick poke through. Then sweep a cut in the high mids until the snare and vocals poke through. Do the same with all guitar tracks individually then pan them to where they should be.

Next do the same with the vocals (turn up so they sit on the mix) with a mid cut or 2 so they sit in the mix without turning them back down.

Next bass. Turn it up then cut lows/low mids to let kick through and high mids to let snare and guitars through.

So on through the rest of the mix elements. The key to this is once you turn up the volume on the individual elements you don't turn them back down, forcing you to make eq cuts to stop each element clouding the mix rather than using volume.

I need to spend more time on this but the track I tried this on today sounded clearer with more space for everything. This method really made me focus on eq to create space.
Try this on a mix you are working on and hopefully you have the same results.
Maybe this is a very well known mixing method that I have just never heard mentioned before.
I usually mix this way to a certain extent using cuts to create space but this way made me cut a bit more and focus on the key frequencies of each element by reducing more of the unwanted frequencies.

Let me know what you think.

I've been using EQ's to carve out space for other instruments more and more lately, but this sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for the tip!

But you would lose your headroom am I right? If I mix everything as usual and turn everything up, the mix will get too hot... Or do you mix quieter in the first place?

But you would lose your headroom am I right? If I mix everything as usual and turn everything up, the mix will get too hot... Or do you mix quieter in the first place?

Actually not really because you are pulling back some frequencies in each instrument creating space (headroom) for the other instruments to fit into to.
The mix I tried this method on ended up at about the same peak level.

Great idea! I once got the tip to try mixing songs in mono only to lear how to create space in mixes.