The Sacrificial Day

exciar28

neat bitch
May 23, 2003
Seoul, South Korea
www.cyworld.com
Today is the sacrificial day of my grandmother. I have a few (almost nothing) memories of my grandmother cause she passed away very earlier than when I, at last, have a self-conciousness. Koreans usually do a special rite in their relative's deathday. I searched over Korean-English dictionary for the translation of the word Je-sa, the original Korean word for a sacrifice rite, but I haven't find a perfect translation. Je-sa has a different nuance in comparison with Sacrificial Rites. However my blog goes on.

Nowadays, there are not many ceremonial meanings left in Je-sa. Rather, Je-sa is the gathering day of relatives in the age of nuclear families, which (I'm not sure that usage of this relative pronoun is right, if you know, notify me please) relative-families have a few chance to gather. Chatting, drinking So-ju all night, playing flower cards... Foods of Je-sa are the most delight. You will never know!

Almost forgotten, but there's also ceremonial and spiritual meaning. It is said the soul of the dead comes down to earth in his/her Je-sa. Eating, drinking their offerings and their life in Juh-sung, the world of the dead - not meaning heaven or hell, will be flourished. It is said that the soul of the dead comes in a bird's body. My friend once said to me that she usually see footprints of bird on boiled rices, the pricipal food of Korean, in a cauldron when she prepares the table for Je-sa.

(from my myspace blog)

uh if it's not like arabic-eastern then alex just isn't down.

also, exciar my friend recently went back there for a je-sa for his dad.

and technically "middle eastern" is RASCEST like calling african-americans "blacks" or japanese people "chinese". the new term is SOUTHWEST ASIAN. so technically they are asians too!

-- EXPERT GUY

i didn't even say middle eastern!
god you're such a know it all sometimes it's obnoxious.

P.S. my grandfather is black and calls himself black.

you also didn't say arabic-asian! HAH

and your grandfather is probably exactly who Edward Said is talking about in Orientalism when he refers to "reflexive race-induced stereomongering, typified by Dominican prepfathers"