Does anyone use the EMG active tone controls for recording (RPC, EXG, SPC etc)

guitarfishbay

Sep 21, 2012
As per title, are any of you EMG users using any of the active tone controls for recording or are you handling anything like that with plugin/outboard EQ?

As follow on are you guys finding it common to EQ the guitar DI with parametric EQ at all at any stage eg when reamping?

I am looking at getting the SA set for strat, and am interested in the EXG and SPC controls that come with the Gilmour pickguard but I strongly do not want white pickups in my guitar as I don't like the look.

My personal preference would be to just buy the SA set in black (on black pickguard) at this time, and add the EXG and SPC later if necessary.

I have had some success broadly using an EQ curve inspired from the RPC manual on the EMG website and applying it to the Het set which IMO has too much bass for low tunings. I play in drop B.

I see no reason why I can't apply similar technique with the SA but was wondering what other people's experiences were, and if anyone used the active controls for recording at all?

My concern is that if I take a DI that has SPC or EXG applied it might not be ideal when it comes to reamp the tracks. I feel I would rather track the pickups flat and apply any necessary EQ afterwards.