Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
The Storyteller – Underworld
Black Lodge, 2005
By Katalin Sipos
ST1.jpg

The Storyteller are from the northern part of Sweden. They formed in 1995 and Underworld is already their fourth full-length album. Due to the explosion in the power and heavy metal genre that happened in the last couple of years, it is really difficult to keep up with the bands. For example this group has existed for a decade and their fourth album is the first one crossing my way.

Obvioulsy I could have heard about them if they had made it big enough, but surely they did not. I know it is quite difficult to create something groundbreaking in this genre and why should they stop if they enjoy it? And there are always new generations who will enjoy this music, plus it may also entertain old fans as well. Though there is something about The Storyteller that really bothers me. The lack of an individual sound.

I tried to listen to the album several times, but I just cannot get away from the haunting memories of Helloween, Statovarius, Hammerfall, Accept and Blind Guardian. Their influences are so audible, sometimes I wondered if they were using the left overs of the aformentioned bands. Well, that might sound very harsh, but I grew up on these bands. As for the younger generation, it is definitely a very good heavy-power metal album. Nice melodies, great choruses, shivering solos, gallopping rhytms, catchy tunes and epic atmosphere are all over. Their vocalist, L-G Persson, sometimes sounds a lot like Blaze Bayley; he has got a strong, decent, characteristic voice. All in all, he is a good power metal singer.
What I still liked about Underworld is the melancholic, violin passages in 'The Fiddler' , the acoustic, epic ballad, 'Your Time Has Come' and their version of ’Ace of Spades’ (a classic anyway).

This is a good power metal album if you are a fan of the genre, are not looking for too much originality, and just wanna enjoy the music.

01. Changeling
02. Eyes of the Dead
03. The Fiddler
04. Watcher in the Deep
05. Your time has come
06. Beauty is the Beast
07. Underworld
08. Magic Elements
09. Shine On
10. Ace of Spades (Motörhead cover)

5/10

Official The Storyteller website