the straight dope on midgetville

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
so here's the deal. my brother-in-law is good friends with the mayor of new britain and tonight i was at a charity event in CT and was introduced to the mayor of new britain who i was told knows all about midgetville.

what he confirmed to me is that yes there is a family in the specific area in question who own a bit of private land. he said the mother was a small woman but not necessarily a midget but that she had a daughter who was pretty much a midget. and he admits that for their house they installed very small doors on the ground levels and which i think might go along with what some people have said.

he also told me that he used to work at a liquor store near there and the family would often come in for booze there.

so what i have taken from what he told me are the following facts:

1. what is thought of as a "village" was in reality just a piece of land owned by a single family. now because of the unknown time frame of when he knew the people who are there, there is every chance that the daughter could have grown up and married a fellow midget and had midget children OR i suppose the possibility of incest (as toby pointed out to me) which could lead to there being more people living there and giving more credibility to the claim that it is in fact a village.

2. the land in question is NOT seperate from the state. basically he just said that it was private land and explained that it was because the land is private that it doesn't show up on mapquest maps or ends mysteriously when you look at the street view map on google.

3. one big thing he hinted at that also lends credence to the mystery is that the area where they live is surrounded by alot of land which he said contains among other things a junkyard and such. so i am thinking its possible that there could be just normal creepy people who live near the midgets and anyone driving up there might just notice their areas and assume its part of some crazy commune.

so what can we interpolate from this information? basically i am not doubting what i have heard and witnessed that there are midgets there and since it is private land they have every right to defend it by throwing rocks at people's cars just because i am sure they don't want to be considered a freak show.

however, based on the earnest conversation i had with the mayor, what i believe is that you have a bunch of land in a dumpy area of the city, a midget family moves in and files the paperwork to get it as private land , kids in the nearby neighborhood see midgets and start spreading rumors about the land because everyone loves to make fun of midgets and then as the story grows it takes on urban legend like proportions and since there have been other areas like this in the country the whole situation gets distorted.

even with the truth being presented to me as a very rational explanation by someone who actually has a more intimate knowledge of my home city than i, i still maintain that i am still scarred and terrified by my experience there although in reality what you have there is a family who doesn't want to be bothered and in reality...i was really the asshole for driving onto their private land since they do actually pay taxes and are part of the community and deserve their privacy just like anyone else.

Mayor of Midgetville:
tony_little.jpg