The Superficiality of American Society

OldScratch said:
Multiculturalism is basically a social-illusion that stands in direct opposition to the idea of culture itself. The more "Diverse" we become the more superficial we become - this is no coincidence. What's more, there isn't a person alive who can convince me that the Western world has gained a single positive thing via this multi-culti canard! I will nobly deny myself the glories of the Mongolian Barbeque and sacrifice my enrichment by exposure to transplanted Senegalese tribesman, Santeria ritual or Mariachi music in favor of that nasty ol' plain vanilla culture of old!

Unfortunately, this kind of talk gets mislabeled as outright racism in the public sphere. People seem to have the absurd notion that a group of 4 people--all of different ethic backgrounds, would somehow gain more inherent value than a group of 4 people who are all from the same culture, ethnicity, etc. This sort of mentality in education has really degraded its quality in my opinion, because it has had the converse affect of limiting communication due to the fact that no basis of familiarity with certain issues can be assumed.

Thus, we can all equally get taught as retards who have no previous knowledge and whose beliefs are "okay" even if they belong in the 3rd grade.

I think the premise that folks should experience much of the world, different peoples, different cultures, places and experiences is a sound one.

derek said:
I think the premise that folks should experience much of the world, different peoples, different cultures, places and experiences is a sound one.

I agree with this, but I was arguing a different point.

I asked: How can you show that a workplace or classroom filled with people of different ethnic and cultural backgrounds is somehow qualitatively better than one consisting of one race exclusively?

derek said:

Oh absolutely...if they choose or desire to do so.
Social engineering, government compulsion and gerrymandering are something else entirely. To this I object...not experiencing new and different things when moved to do so.

derek said:

Yeah, and that requires that different cultures and viewpoints exist

Naming Capitalism as the culprit may be somewhat imprecise. At any rate, Capitalism is not so intrinsically the culprit as many Utopists contend. Superficial materialism, at least to the exclusion of any other Axiology might be closer to the mark, but even that may be excessively glib. The tactful noncommittal vigilance as exemplified but in no means exclusive to politically correct Multiculturalism is indeed also another symptom. The problem is some kind of attachment disorder, and the likely cause is heteronomy. That which is optimal for fitting in and social success, is often costly to real friendship. So, what do we want to do about it? Know more at: http://www.FoolQuest.com

Maybe most people are just afraid of not being accepted and being alone so they just talk about things most people can relate to. There's not much risk of rejection when you strike up a conversation about the weather. I've never been outside the country but i highly doubt this behavior is limited to the US.